View Full Version : whats the real story on HDTV?

drh4683
01-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Im curious as to the HDTV start up thing. I know there are a transmitted signals already, but will analog actually be shut down at a certian date? Here is what I read on "howstuffworks.com"

"Currently, the FCC rules state the start-up of digital broadcasts and phase-out of analog broadcasts in 2006. Right now, there aren't that many stations broadcasting. As we get closer to 2006, however, your current analog television set will either have to be replaced or you will need to buy some sort of set-top box for converting the digital signal."

I cant immagine in 2 years analog transmitter will simply shut down. Anybody really know the real story? I hope CATV never shuts down, half the fun in watching these sets is flicking through the channels and adjusting the rabbit ears. (I only watch CATV) Watching TV on channel 3 through a cable box is not the same.

THOR
01-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Yes there is a time limit for analog I believe if I remember correctly from reading about it on an HDTV forum. I believe eventually by a certain daye all tv is to be HDTV not sure of the dates should be easy to find.

When you actually watch HDTV programming on an HDTV set it will blow your mind, the picture is unbelievable it looks like the screen is not even there and that you could reach out and touch the people/places/things on the screen. I only have two HDTV channels presently, one being HBO and I find myself rewatching even bad movies just to be able to watch them in HDTV. After watching an HDTV program if I watch a movie on DVD right after the picture from my progressive scan DVD looks all grainy and rough ;)

rca2000
01-18-2004, 10:57 PM
As far as i know ,( and this comes from lots of research over the last 8 years), the plan is that the phase-out WAS set to begin at the end of 2006, but NOW, the current plan is that the analog signal WILL continue, until 85% of the market is broadcasting HDTV. So, this would probably be 10 or more years , in the future.

Charlie
01-18-2004, 11:24 PM
I heard the same thing Jack mentioned about the 85%.

Our local CBS station has some Q&A on their website concerning HDTV. This is what they had to say...

Why are we changing to HDTV now?
Congress passed a law mandating all television stations broadcast a digital signal by the year 2002. KFDM Channel 6 is currently broadcasting both the new high definition digital signal and the regular analog signal. We, along with other broadcasters will simultcast digital and analog signals until 85% of our viewing households have purchased a digital television. Then, our analog signal will be turned off and our broadcast frequencies will be turned over to the government. Once the digital conversion has been completed, Congress will use the old broadcast band widths to expand usage of cellular phones, data transmission and other electronics applications.

If you would like to read any of the other Q&A they have, you can see it here... http://www.kfdm1.com/six_HDTV.shtml

Most of what they say is pretty genenral, but you might find something of use in there.

Chad Hauris
01-19-2004, 06:33 AM
By now all of the TV stations are supposed to have their digital transmitters on the air...however some have applied for extensions on the construction permit so not all of the digital transmitters are up yet.

I work at a radio station that was formerly co-owned with a public television station, which was sold. When the TV station was still here, we had a digital set in the reception lobby. The programming that was in HD WAS a lot more life-like, better resolution that standard TV. However not all of the programming transmitted by digital TV stations is HD. The regular definition digital stuff looks worse to me than standard TV. The resolution is better on a still image but when there is motion it looks like it is made up of blocks, sort of like some types of video coming off the internet.

Also I think that the 85% refered to the portion of the market able to RECEIVE digital TV, that when that amount of people had the receivers then the analog signal would shut down. In less affluent rural markets I see this taking a LONG time. I have not seen any cheap or portable digital sets, and certainly not everyone can afford the high-end digital sets which are the only ones made now.

Eric C
01-19-2004, 09:02 AM
I may be(and probably am) dead wrong on this one, but I thought I had read somewhere about the 2006 deadline for all television stations to have HDTV capability, but the analog transmission of all stations on the air by 2006, would continue for something like 17 years, then be phased out. That would make the phase out somewhere around 2023.

Eric C
Tweed, ON

gonefishin
01-21-2004, 11:35 PM
I can't remember when the first date the FCC set was...I think it may have been 1999...either way...it's been pushed back several times now...with the end transition date now being December 31, 2006.

I was actually watching C-Span once when the FCC hearing where taking place (yes...I watch C-Span and C-Span2) :rolleyes: They were talking about the DTV transition.

It's true that right now the FCC has said that the 2006 date may be pushed back if DTV sets and broadcasts are not available to 85% of homes are able to watch DTV broadcasts. Further, the older set will still be able to be used in the future until analog broadcasts cease. Anyone thinking Loran navigation here? By the way...Loran is still working! Once the analog broadcasts cease...you will still be able to buy a set top converter to view current broadcasts on your beautiful vintage furniture grade television.

I've currently got an HD Tv running with HD service provided via my local cable company (for an increase of only $3.00 a month). Let me tell you...it is really something to watch. The clarity...the colors...the depth in the picture...it's really like nothing I've ever seen before. I can't wait till we get more channels moving to HDTv.

But here's where it gets interesting. That December 31, 2006 transition date. As far as I know...that has nothing to do with High definition broadcasts. I wish it did...but it doesn't :( . What the transition will be...is for DTV. Digital broadcasts to your television. These digital broadcasts will have a cleaner picture than analog and offer people the ability to receive dolby digital surround. Added on to this...in the same space it would take a broadcaster to send the information for one analog program...the broadcaster can now (thru DTV) choose to send a high definition single or multiple DTV programs at the same time. Yep, it says nothing about making high definition mandatory.

well...that's about all I have here's (http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html) a link to the FCC site talking about the DTV transition.

take care>>>>>>>

andy
01-21-2004, 11:45 PM
I don't understand why the FCC is forcing digital on us. I know all they want is the huge chunk of VHF spectrum that's currently wasted on crappy TV shows. Why not just make them move over to UHF and give them the option of going digital? The UK has a digital system that's coexisting with the existing analog service. You can buy a box and receive about 20 more channels if you want. If you don't want to, you can stick with the 5 analog channels.

I guess one nice side effect of digital TV will be that the digital box will give you remote control of any TV. I have to say that I like having a cable box with volume control just so I can mute the ads.

heathkit tv
01-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Just realized sumpthin, this talk about 85% of households being digital ready as the threshold for conversion to digital......we're essentially already there......that percentage is the number of households that have either cable or satellite.

Perhaps not all those systems are digital, but once that conversion is complete then it seems that the FCC will "flip the switch"...........unless their requirement is that 85% has to be over the air digital households.

Anthony

Charlie
01-22-2004, 11:14 AM
My interpretation of the 85% figure is that 85% of American households have at least one digital HDTV set. Perhaps I am wrong, but that's the idea i get from what they say.

If that's what their looking for before pulling the plug on analog signals, seems it would be a long time before the transition is completed. The prices of these new digital sets are going to have to come down quite a bit before the average person buys one.

The lower income class make up a very large percentage of our country. Most of them are not going to have the money to go buy a digital set. With that in mind, seems we would never reach 85% anytime real soon. Some of those lower income households might not even be able to afford the converter box to use with their old sets. It's already hard enough for a single mom with three kids to make ends meet... and now she has to go spend money on a new HDTV so the little ones can watch Sesame Street?

Chad Hauris
01-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Anthony, I might have to disagree with the point about cable/satellite enabling digital...if the digital TV signal is sent via these media the current analog sets would not be able to receive it, without a convertor...Do you think that maybe the cable companies would provide the proper decoder as part of their service?

Also I think that the current digital cable or digital satellite signals do not use the same standards as over-the-air digital TV...therefore a current digital cable convertor box could not directly decode the signal.

merrylander
01-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Since the Powell of the FCC is Colin Powell's son one has to wonder how much the HDTV vendors contributed to dubya's election campaign.

Rob

THOR
01-22-2004, 07:51 PM
"I've currently got an HD Tv running with HD service provided via my local cable company (for an increase of only $3.00 a month). Let me tell you...it is really something to watch. The clarity...the colors...the depth in the picture...it's really like nothing I've ever seen before. I can't wait till we get more channels moving to HDTv."

GF do you find yourself watching or rewatching crappy movies just to watch them in HDTV? I do!!! I can't wait till I get ESPN an Discovery HDTV :eek:

wa2ise
01-22-2004, 08:44 PM
I don't know the particulars, but I've heard of a UHF TV station that gave up its analog service and is only digital. Idea being that most viewers are on cable, and that cable companies are required to carry their programming by receiving the digital signal and converting it to an analog cable channel. The station supplied the converters to the various cable companies. What they get out of this is a huge savings on their electric bill, as digital transmissions require much less power than NTSC analog. And on UHF megawatts of power are the norm.

bgadow
01-23-2004, 11:56 AM
One of the local UHF stations, a CBS affiliate, has long been a pioneer in newer technolgies. (I recall hearing that they were about the first in the country, back in '54, to send the signal from studio to transmitter via microwave) They have a digital channel now and also have set up a new UPN station on digital only, but also on all local cable companies. They do an incredible amount of cross-promotion.

www.wboc.com

gonefishin
01-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by THOR

GF do you find yourself watching or rewatching crappy movies just to watch them in HDTV? I do!!! I can't wait till I get ESPN an Discovery HDTV :eek:

crappy movies? I haven't seen a crappy movie yet in Hi-Def ;)

sure is nice...and it's nice that I don't have to spend a ton of money for the decoders and such. If it wasn't for the cable offering...I wouldn't have it. But I'm sure glad I do :)