View Full Version : Sencore VA48 TV analyzer

radiotvnut
11-07-2007, 10:40 PM
I picked up this Sencore VA48 TV analyzer on ebay a few months ago. It combines a pattern generator, tuner sub, various drive signals for tube and SS sets, flyback and yoke tester, etc. Everything appears to be working. There is a small quick set up book in the rear compartment; but, I don't have the main manual. I think I've got around $40 including shipping in it. A friend had a newer Sencore outfit that I think he had about $10K in. Has anyone had any experience with this piece of equipment and is this a good choice for vintage TV repair?

ChrisW6ATV
11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
I have one of those as well, and I have the complete manual, I think. I bought mine and tuned it up several years ago, and now it has sat again for a while. Yes, it should have many uses in restoring antique TV sets, though I have never put mine to much use (I just got more involved in my old TV sets again after not doing much for years). I will look at mine in the next few days, and I will see what documents I have.

radiotvnut
11-08-2007, 12:29 AM
I also need to get some probes for mine. I'll admit that I've only used a multimeter and a scope to fix most things; but, the price seemed right on this piece. Most cheap modern TV's have about gotten to the point where if it can't be fixed with a multimeter; then, they aren't worth fixing. I also have an older stand alone Sencore flyback and yoke tester that will also check HV (if I had the probe). I've used it some on some newer flybacks with pretty good results.

kx250rider
11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
I have one too. It comes in handy for subbing things like the tuner output to see if you have noise from your tuner, or if it's coming from downstream, and you can inject horizontal drive, vertical pulses, etc etc. It also has a color bar generator. Again, I don't use it often at all, but I like having it. I've never used the FBT and yoke ringer. I have a much newer Sencore LC-101 for that (and for full-working voltage cap leakage testing :) )

Charles

julianburke
11-17-2007, 07:06 PM
This is an excellent piece of equipment for servicing older TV's.

Findm-Keepm
11-17-2007, 11:03 PM
I have a much newer Sencore LC-101 for that (and for full-working voltage cap leakage testing :) )

Charles

Amen! I have the LC102 - how did we ever get by without these things?

I bought about 300 FP (can) caps from a company on eBay and sat for 3 nights checking them on my LC102. I found 3 that were bad - all 3 for dielectric absorption and 1 of the 3 also had bad ESR on two of the four sections. My only complaint is the keypad - I got bruised finger tips from holding the buttons down for some tests. I wish ESR was a no-hands test. For troubleshooting, I'll use my Bob Parker/Dick Smith ESR meter.

Cheers,

kx250rider
11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I have an ESR meter that I use for quickly spotting dry electrolytics in newer equipment, but I haven't used it on cans in old TVs.

On the LC101, there's a goofy little spring rod thing that you put between the handle and the buttons for long-time forming. I couldn't believe that's what it was for, but it's in the book!!! Does the 102 also have it? I've never used it myself because I'd be afraid I'd forget, and that might result in a loud BANG!, and oily black capaci-fuzz all over the house.

Charles

Findm-Keepm
11-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I have an ESR meter that I use for quickly spotting dry electrolytics in newer equipment, but I haven't used it on cans in old TVs.

On the LC101, there's a goofy little spring rod thing that you put between the handle and the buttons for long-time forming. I couldn't believe that's what it was for, but it's in the book!!! Does the 102 also have it? I've never used it myself because I'd be afraid I'd forget, and that might result in a loud BANG!, and oily black capaci-fuzz all over the house.

Charles

Yes, my LC102 has the same, and the LC102 has a storage clip on the back for it as well. It's supposedly used only when reforming - it holds down the leakage button, and is placed between the handle and the keypad. If the leakage isn't acceptable after 10 seconds at full working voltage, I set the cap/can aside and reform it later. I've seen most caps pass after one reform cycle - if it doesn't, I send it to the trash. Sencore's Tech Tip 170 works for me. The DOD has a capacitor reforming whitepaper as well - had to use it when I was in the Navy on old "war stock" material that was sitting in warehouses. Essentially the same as bringing a set up on a variac...

Cheers

nasadowsk
01-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Ok, I've got a VA48. It's a bit low on functionality because some circuit board under the main chassis has gone *poof*.

Anyone got a schematic on one of these things?

footlooseman
02-06-2015, 11:12 PM
I recently got this unit. Did anyone ever find or upload a main manual?

dieseljeep
02-07-2015, 09:04 AM

I bought mine, maybe a year ago. I didn't get the main manual or the extra leads with it either. :sigh:

WISCOJIM
02-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Sonny has the reprints of the manual available on his website:

http://www.radiolaguy.com/Manuals/Sencore_Manuals.htm

Findm-Keepm
02-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Sonny has the reprints of the manual available on his website:

http://www.radiolaguy.com/Manuals/Sencore_Manuals.htm

:yikes: Expensive!!

I've got the instruction manual and the simplified setup book - lemme spend a few days and I'll scan them to PDF and you can save yourselves some $$.

Cool side note - I found my dad's old notes on the GE AB/AC chassis, with the complete griplet list for adding jumper wires to fix all of the griplet issues, and his EC chassis notes - man, was that set a dog chassis.

look forward to a PM this week from me with the download URL for both manuals. Gonna take some time, but well worth saving my fellow VKers some cash.

I don't remember there being any special cables for the VA48 - just simple BNC or banana stuff. The trick is where to inject, what to inject, and what to observe on the CRT or the scope....

Cheers,

Findm-Keepm
02-07-2015, 07:46 PM

Can't get one from Sencore? They are based right where you are, in Sioux Falls. I have a buddy that was a Sencore traveling Rep (Rich Webb) - he used to call them for manuals, and they still have a copy-only archive library, as I understand it. They no longer reprint manuals for the general public, but may allow borrowing to copy...

Of course, you'd have to ask nicely, as Rich once had trouble getting an overlay for HIS company-issued LC53 - long story, but do not clean the vinyl overlays with nail-polish remover! Sencore gave him the run-around, and soon after he left the company, and went to work for RCA, later GE/RCA, as a service seminar host for several states.

Findm-Keepm
02-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Guys,

Second manual posted to same url/directory I PM'd you. It was easier to scan than I thought....

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

rcaman
02-09-2015, 11:14 AM
i would like a copy also i can give you a donation. thanks steve

WISCOJIM
02-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Brian, maybe you could share the link with the rest of us? I know I'd appreciate a copy, and I imagine others may wish a copy also.

Thanks for scanning it.

Findm-Keepm
02-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Folks,

WISCOJIM has offered to host the files for public distro!

If anyone ever needs any manuals, keep me in mind - I have almost all of my late father's manuals - VA48, VA62 (Phil Nelson has it in PDF), SC61 and others. Just post here - others may have them too!

Cheers,

WISCOJIM
02-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Yep, just got the two VA48 files uploaded to my dropbox.com account.

And Brian did a great job of scanning them, they look fantastic!

Here's the link to them:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nkjoxrbq940o0oe/AABu4F4apqWkKjRXBemjINWna?dl=0

Enjoy!

footlooseman
02-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Thanks for posting. For some reason my unit had a fuse missing so I will have to test that unit within the new few days after I get some fuses. I would have asked Sencore but I have not been feeling the best since I got since about two weeks ago.

Marco-nix
02-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Thanks for posting WISCOJIM.I appreciate it.

WISCOJIM
02-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks for posting WISCOJIM.I appreciate it.
You're welcome, but all the thanks should go to Brian, he did all the hard work.

zeno
02-10-2015, 08:19 AM
We had 3 VA48's at one time. IIRC they came with a quick guide
& an extensive manual that was VERY useful. Only problems
with them was the coax output would get loose & a special diode
behind it would break. Also they had harmonica connectors
that would go cold.
Sencor ran a great sales seminar. Always learned from it.
Twas a great machine to work with.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Marco-nix
02-10-2015, 08:48 AM
I don't know who's Brian but no probs.. ;) I say thanks to him..

Findm-Keepm
02-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Thanks for posting. For some reason my unit had a fuse missing so I will have to test that unit within the new few days after I get some fuses. I would have asked Sencore but I have not been feeling the best since I got since about two weeks ago.

Get well- hope it's not the flu or measles.

Cheers,

kvflyer
02-10-2015, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the scans. I know it is a lot of work to do them and I appreciate it.

WISCOJIM
02-10-2015, 09:45 AM
I don't know who's Brian but no probs.. ;) I say thanks to him..
Brian = Findm-Keepm

He's the one in this thread that actually scanned the manuals. I merely placed them on dropbox.com to make for an easy download for everyone.

Marco-nix
02-10-2015, 09:49 AM
ah okay now I know .. ;)

ChrisW6ATV
02-16-2015, 10:14 PM
Thank you for scanning and posting the manual, Brian and Jim.

Flippers
11-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Does anyone have the VA48 manuals available for download? The link above is no longer valid.

I am looking to service an older B&W TV and would like to use my Sencore to do that, but it may require servicing as well as the TV...

Thanks!

John :-#)#

WISCOJIM
11-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Does anyone have the VA48 manuals available for download? The link above is no longer valid.

I am looking to service an older B&W TV and would like to use my Sencore to do that, but it may require servicing as well as the TV...

Thanks!

John :-#)#Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m3kdhzo7vkxgcve/AAC8lgyKMBO7n2SeCywrW-kba?dl=0

Marco-nix
11-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Thanks wiscojim . ;)

Flippers
11-22-2019, 11:49 PM
Thanks!

Flippers
01-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m3kdhzo7vkxgcve/AAC8lgyKMBO7n2SeCywrW-kba?dl=0

Appreciate the manuals, might you have the schematics too?

Thanks!

WISCOJIM
01-28-2020, 06:30 PM
Appreciate the manuals, might you have the schematics too?

Thanks!

I only had whatever was at the dropbox link. I don't remember who scanned it or where I got it from.

If you find the schematic, please let me know and I'll add it to the dropbox folder.

Jim

Jon1967us
08-23-2021, 03:39 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m having a problem where my VA48’s Chroma burst pattern is not displaying. All other patterns show except that one. Any suspect electrolytics have been replaced throughout the boards.

I don’t have a schematic, so I’m kind of working blind. Do the xtals in these go bad?

Marco-nix
08-24-2021, 11:50 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m having a problem where my VA48’s Chroma burst pattern is not displaying. All other patterns show except that one. Any suspect electrolytics have been replaced throughout the boards.

I don’t have a schematic, so I’m kind of working blind. Do the xtals in these go bad?

Well , you don't need a schematic to know what is written on an electrolytic capacitor. If you already know which part is at fault , if you know how to solder, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Personally, I only need a diagram if I do not know the problem of a particular brand or if the brand of a device has recurring problems. Otherwise I only change the capacitors of the missing part (if I know it's from there) otherwise, yes you will need a schematic.