View Full Version : Noisy Zenith

Carmine
01-10-2004, 02:48 PM
The 19" Zenith (SS1921W9) in my computer room has been making a noise that sounded like a very faint, constant static discharge when shut-off (might be doing it while powered-up too, but can't hear it above the normal HV whine, etc.).

I've been doing a lot of major house remodeling, so dust is pretty much everywhere. I kinda thought that a dust trail might have built up, and was discharging HV when the set was off. Couldn't see anything in a dark room. However, the noise does stop as soon as it's unplugged, so that would seem to rule out any HV discharge and point towards the only circuit energized when turned off, the Space Command.

Today, I decided to open it up and have a look. Couldn't find anything unusual, and it was a lot cleaner than I expected. (I blew it out about two years ago when I got it.) Naturally, I couldn't get it to make any noises with the back off. Put it back together, and it's quiet as it should be. Picture performance is excellent, as always.

Any thoughts from you more experienced techs? :confused:

kc8adu
01-12-2004, 01:30 AM
might have some caps dieing in the smps.
it runs anytime the set is plugged in.
some smps are just normally noisy but hissing.fizzing ect sounds usually mean bad lytics.