View Full Version : Save a CTC-92

bgadow
10-16-2007, 12:35 PM
As some may have noticed, I have been dragging home a bunch of solid state stuff lately. Just something to tinker with-I'm not ready to dig into something tough like a full recap on a 10” set. This latest set to come my way, via freecycle, is a 1980 RCA CTC-92 console. Direct-entry digital tuning, no remote, delta gun dot-matrix crt. It was retired because the screen was green. A quick check showed very strong red & green guns, and the blue wasn't bad, but was down a ways from the others. I was able to make adjustments to come up with a reasonable gray scale. I was sitting back for just a second, checking out the picture, when the set up and died. No audio, no raster, no digital display, just a faint ticking sound from the area of the voltage regulator. So, I did a google search which took me to a list of repair briefs and this exact symptom. It said to check T402 for open. Naturally, it's one of the few things not on a module. So, I got rid of all my solid state era Sams. Does anyone happen to know the part number for that transformer, or could someone look it up in Sams 1936-1? Once I have the number I'll go in search of one. I don't want to put much money into this thing, since it most certainly will be something I end up giving away. But I really would hate to junk it for this.

Bill R
10-16-2007, 01:20 PM
RCA stock number is 142713.

Bill R

Kiwick
10-16-2007, 05:01 PM
A delta gun CRT in 1980? :scratch2:

Here in Europe the very last set fitted with a delta gun CRT was discontinued in 1977...

Findm-Keepm
10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Bryan,

Here's what I have on the CTC92 - I did a stock check and don't have the RCA part number quoted by Bill R.

The repair briefs do mention an L402....

What's the model #?? So much of my database is built on model numbers - may be more in there....

Cheers

radiotvnut
10-16-2007, 09:46 PM
A delta gun CRT in 1980? :scratch2:

Here in Europe the very last set fitted with a delta gun CRT was discontinued in 1977...

The newest delta gun I've seen was on an '80 or '81 Teknika 25" console. This set was cable ready remote control and had small modules that plugged in side by side on the main chassis. The tube had a dark screen, IIRC. I've seen a few other late '70's delta gun sets (mainly 23" and up) by Zenith, RCA, and Sylvania. I think most companies started moving away from delta gun tubes in the mid '70's; especially on the smaller screen models.

I hope you can get that RCA going. Those were decent sets and would often run for years without problems. I know I don't currently have any of those chassis left; but, I'll let you know if I find anything in the future.

zenith2134
10-17-2007, 09:06 AM
The last CTC I saw with a delta-gun configuration was a ctc-89 tabletop I found a while back. It was a 1977, and had weak blue gun. Still works okay though. Old Rca's are indeed nice sets through the early 80s.

radiotvnut
11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Do you still need parts for that CTC92? I was just given a set today that sounds like a dead ringer for yours. Only one problem: bad CRT. All three guns were dead and the b and g guns showed H-K shorts. The chassis seems to be OK except that the keypad needs to be cleaned. I am going to pull the chassis out and junk the cabinet and CRT.

kx250rider
11-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I think the 92 was the very last delta gun RCA console. The table models went inline before that... by several years. Funny thing is that I remember seeing LOADS of those 92s with bad CRTs nearly new. Maybe the engineers overdrove the tube???? They were ALWAYS bad, as a matter of fact.

Charles

radiotvnut
11-13-2007, 12:15 PM
We had a '77 19' colortrak with a similar chassis that the CRT went bad in around '82. IIRC (I was very young), the red would short sometimes and then the green would short sometimes and I think it was going weak during all this. Dad finally had the tube changed after he got tired of our TV man rejuventaing it every time we blinked. It's hard to imagine changing the CRT in an out or warranty 19" non cable ready, non remote set. Times have sure changed!

sampson159
11-13-2007, 01:20 PM
i had a e-48 -1 sylvania that had a 25v delta gun fron 1980. remote with a black matrix tube. gorgeous picture and when we lost the remote ,a set of keys
would do the trick. i loved that set and wish i could find another. any old sylvania.havent seen one for over 5 years here in columbus. just the inline gun consoles are still around. my sister has a 1983 model that is still going strong without ever a service call. plays 24-7!

radiotvnut
11-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes, I do remember those Sylvania set's having a great picture. It seems like I never ran into that many pre Philips Sylvania's. Most of what I found were older hospital and motel sets with a ton of hours on them. Now, I run into a great deal of Funai made crap with the Sylvania brand plasterd on it (criminal). Zenith and RCA were the most common finds around here. Is that E48 sylvania the one that has the three large plug in boards in the bottom of the set?

sampson159
11-13-2007, 07:12 PM
3 plug in green boards.556 tripler and 25vdmp22 crt. a combination made for a king! easy to fix and the boards were dirt cheap. reaired too many of those. mostly crt replacement. zenith 25v was an excellent replacement in those good sylvanias. dmp looked good,just did last too long. the d series sets had a much better crt-25vmp22. those hybrids are good too. d-16 with the slide controls and perma-lok color were the best playing sets sylvania made.zenith chromacolors are the best,sylvania d series second,and xl 100 rca a close third.
if anyone has a sylvania of that vintage-i am interested!

radiotvnut
11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I think some of those 19" hospital sets had D series Sylvania chassis. I remember them having 3 modules, a power transformer, a tripler, and delta gun crt. They had standard motor driven mechanical tuners. There was another E series hospital set that had the 3 modules but no power transformer. The CRT was inline and the tuner was a single knob motor driven varactor type. The third type of Sylvania hospital set had the single board E32 type chassis with inline CRT and digital tuning. Those D series hospital sets were my favorite of the three and weighed a TON. about 12 years ago, my neighbor gave me a D series console from the mid '70's that only needed it's controls cleaned and it made a great picture. I don't think I've ever had my hands on an all tube or hybrid Sylvania. Like I said earlier; Sylvania's were not as common around here as the Zenith's and RCA's were. I think every hospital in this town had them, though.

As far as delta gun CRT's lasting; I think Zenith would be the winner. I've seen very few dead Zenith delta tubes. I think the worst ones were the last RCA delta guns.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I ever run up on one of those D-series Sylvania's.

sampson159
11-14-2007, 09:18 AM
d series were hybrids-they all made great pictures. in columbus,we had a huge sylvania dealer (sun tv) and the market was flooded with those great sets.e 32 was a really sharp set. the local thrift store has one as a test screen for dvd and vhs.i should have kept a sylvania.e45 or 48. you are right about zenith tubes-they last forever. they also weigh 12 pounds more than the others!

radiotvnut
11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
OK, my meomory must be failing concerning the D series SS hospital set. I guess the D series were hybrid and the E series was SS. The hospital set I was thinking about had "Sylvania GT" and "hospital matic II" written over the VHF knob. On the back of the set; there was a flip down door that could be screwed shut that covered the color, brightness, etc. controls. The chassis was 100% SS. I'm curious now to know exactly what chassis was in there.

sampson159
11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
e-08 those sets rocked! i had a hospital set like that once. used it for over 15 years in my bedroom. lost it when i got divorced. loved it! so many good tvs back then. even the admirals and magnavoxs were good. those were the days!

bgadow
11-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a couple tube-era Sylvania color sets-a nice change of pace. One is a 15" portable from about 1970 or so. A neat set but with something screwy in the vertical circuit. A long time ago I drug home what must have been their first all-solid state set, very early 70s. Push-button varactor tuner, beautiful cabinet. Would be nice to have it now, if only to ship it out to VintageCollect! Not long ago I was reading some trade mags from about 1970 and the really big thing they were talking about was what Sylvania called the "Gibralter" chassis. I guess that was their hybrid?

I never really saw too many from the seventies. We had relatives in DC who had a pair of 19" Sylvanias. Once a repairman gave me 2 of those which were identical on the outside. One was GTE with a modular chassis. The other was NAP and when I opened it up it had the newer one-board chassis. So much for making one good set out of two...