View Full Version : Sony TV sleep mode

joedicara
10-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi,
I have a Sony KV2080R TV that keep getting stuck in "sleep mode". Does anyone have any idea how I might fix that? I've tried pressing the sleep mode button but that doesn't seem to do anything. When I power up the TV, I can hear the tube "click" on but there's no picture. The sleep mode LED/light is on/red but I can't get a picture. It's like it's in sleep mode and can't wake up.

Any ideas? Thanks, Joe

andy
10-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Sleep is canceled when the set is turned off, so that can't be the problem. Something is wrong with the TV. It's probably got a power supply, or HV problem.

ChrisW6ATV
10-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Welcome to Audiokarma, Joe.

I do not know that Sony model specifically, but most likely the "sleep" light is also used as a "fault" indicator, as it is on other Sony TVs. There is probably a bad electrolytic capacitor in its power supply causing the problem. You need an ESR meter to find the bad part(s), or a technician who can test/fix it for you.

freakaftr8
10-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Yep thats exactly what it is.. Look for a series of blinks on the sleep LED, might look like blink, pause, blink-blink, pause, blink... Something like that, this light is telling you there is an issue with some part in the set...

kx250rider
10-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Freakaftr8 is correct on the newer sets, as they blink a code on the Power light. However on that older 1980s model, your symptom is caused by one of 2 things most likely:

10:1, the HVR block is shot. That's the red and clear plastic piece on the CRT shroud with the anode lead coming out if it going up to the top of the tube. It also has a fine red wire which is soldered to a lug on the back of it. You can TEMPORARILY disconnect that red wire, and see if the set still shuts off on you. If it doesn't, then you have a bad HVR block. DO NOT use the TV with that red wire undone. It will cause damage to the TV and will circumvent the X-ray protection circuit! Also, that wire goes to a gray plug on the main board. You can't unplug it because that plug also has a jumper wire that disables the set if unplugged. So for the test, you have to unsolder or cut & resolder the wire. The HVR block is about $60 if you can get one still.

The other possibility is two 10 uF caps in the power supply. Those are located near each other appx in the center of the main board near the back of the TV. I can't remember the board location numbers, but they're the only two 10 uF at about 250 or 350 volt caps in that immediate area and next to each other. Those go bad often, and cause the TV to cut off and the sleep light to come on. Usually if they are the cause, and not the HVR block, you can eventually get the TV to come on by repeatedly pushing the power button. You will hear the relay spluttering too, and finally it will stay on. That's an easy fix for $2, if you're OK with a soldering iron and PC boards.

Just for common sense, don't go spending money on the HVR block unless you're sure that's it. There are other things that can cause this same symptom, any of which should be easy for a tech to diagnose.

Hope this helps...

Charles