View Full Version : 90's Zenith TV schematics

mr_fixer
09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
I was wondering if there was a place you could find TV schematics online, cheap or free. Its a sl2767w Zenith, nice picture, just no green. I adjusted the green pot on the crt board but no effect. I'm thinking green driver trans. maybe?

andy
09-20-2007, 10:10 PM
An L series Zenith is very likely to have a bad CRT. No green was a common problem. Even if it has a bad green drive transistor, it was probably taken out when the CRT shorted. I wouldn't waste your time on it.

mr_fixer
09-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Oh well, i found it on the side of the road. Anybody need the chassis?

radiotvnut
09-20-2007, 10:57 PM
An L series Zenith is very likely to have a bad CRT. No green was a common problem. Even if it has a bad green drive transistor, it was probably taken out when the CRT shorted. I wouldn't waste your time on it.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Andy on this one. Several years ago, I found a fairly new Zenith with no green. I quickly discovered a bad green driver transistor. A new transistor made the set work great...for two weeks. Then, the CRT shorted and took out the new transistor. I will look for a Sams if you'd like. You might possibly get lucky and get by with a transistor change; but, I'd play the heck out of it before I let someone have it. BTW, I think my set was a '97 model. The '93 and newer models were common to have shorted CRT's that would wipe out the power supply. It's very hard to find a good CRT for these sets. Sometimes, one from a junked '80's or very early '90's set will turn up that is actually better than the '90's ones were when they were new.

mr_fixer
09-20-2007, 11:14 PM
i think both of you might be right. I measured the voltage on all of the pins of the 3 driver transistors and they were all about the same, 5 volts+- on the outer pins and around 105 volts on the center leg of the transistor. So if i put this in the back of the shed and wait till something else shows up on trash day, what other CRT's could i swap with this one. this uses a a68act00x. Any better tubes cross ref with this one?

P.S. i just looked at the zenith website, and Zenith doesn't sell any TV's with picture tubes anymore, not even the projection tv's WOW!

radiotvnut
09-20-2007, 11:38 PM
As far as I know; there is no sub for the A68ACT00X. But, Zenith used the same tube in some of their '80's 27" sets. Those '80's tubes are far better than the newer tubes and they will usually respond better to rejuvenation (if they are weak) from a CRT tester than the newer tubes. Heck, it's hard to rejuvenate something that wasn't any good to begin with. I put an '80's tube in a friends mid '90's Zenith and it's still going after about 6 or 7 years.

mr_fixer
09-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys, i'll hang on to the set for a while, to see if any of those models show up. but if y'all need this chassis for a project or parts, let me know.

cpu_
09-21-2007, 12:18 PM
P.S. i just looked at the zenith website, and Zenith doesn't sell any TV's with picture tubes anymore, not even the projection tv's WOW!

This is bizarre!
Yesterday Sept 20, before noon, I looked at several Zenith CRT HDTVs on their web site. I copied the model numbers and specs. I didn't copy the PDF data sheets, assuming I could get them later! I went there now and everything is gone!

For example, here are the specs for the C30W46 direct-view CRT HDTV monitor, 16:9. Link still works, but only because I copied it.
http://www.zenith.com/sub_prod/product_SpecsFrameset.asp?id=1010&token=2508#2508

Their pages are marked with "The authority in HDTV", yet the link under HDTV > Products lists no products. This web page is getting minimal maintenance. Maybe they saw my hits on the CRT TV pages yesterday and decided to pull the old content?

Findm-Keepm
09-21-2007, 04:47 PM
All,

FWIW, I have Zenith A, B, C, D, Commercial, IQ and Z line manuals in PDF format. I also have manuals for recent LCD and plasma sets (older than 2005). If you ever need one, PM me and I'll FTP it up so you can download it.

FWIW part B - I also have TONS of Hitachi manuals in PDF format. Same thing - PM me.....

FWIW part C - I also have access to some recent RCA manuals - again in PDF...along the line of the CTC203, M134C, and later sets. Again, PM me, but you'll have to wait longer for these as they aren't mine and I have to borrow the CD....

Moderator(s) - Might this be a good thread subject for a sticky? Resources (free!) for manuals...?

Cheers,