View Full Version : Why did Zenith's cabinets get cheap, and why?

Carmine
09-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Per radiotvnut, in another post...:

So far, I'm liking it real well. Will like it better once I get it going. I just wish the cabinet was real wood; not particle board and plastic. But; the chassis is built like a tank!

He is referencing a mid-70 Zenith console.

I have to say that I'd agree. Seems like Zenith's cabinets were at one time higher quality than most any other brand I've run across... (until the early 70s)

The older Zenith tops are usually solid wood, while most RCA's in the same price range are either veneer, or such a thin piece of wood that I fear a 70s VCR might have collapsed them! Then it seems like somebody flipped a switch and suddenly the Zenith cabinets relied too much on plastic details and particle board, even as the chassis remained 1st rate. Seems very out of character.

Your thoughts?

It seems that there is somewhat of a bias here against console sets. I do understand that the more elaborate consoles are space-eaters, but ultimately I prefer them... Much the same as I'd rather have an Imperial, vs. a Plymouth Valiant. Sadly, all my Zeniths have been bottom of the food chain. (Until I finally scored a diagnonal-dial colonial roundie last year) I keep the low-line sets around and working... secretly hoping to find that perfect Danish-modern roundie that has been gutted and waiting for an organ transplant!

drh4683
09-03-2007, 01:42 PM
That '68 zenith colonial console I picked up this past saterday is much cheaper. All that colonial "woodwork" on the front sides and bottom of the cabinet is molded plastic! Even in '68! The woodwork on top of the cabinet and the sides is real wood though.
In that same TV, zenith used plastic angle braces to reinforce the cabinet from the inside. Most sets used the triangular cut pieces of wood to do this.

Ive seen alot of cheaper zeniths with photofinished cabinets, beginning around 1965 model consoles. They used some kind of composite board, not wood though. Alot of times, heavy things got placed on top of the set and you can see it cave in and in most cases, a permantent dip can be seen on top after prolonged support of a heavy object.

fsjonsey
09-04-2007, 02:08 AM
That '68 zenith colonial console I picked up this past saterday is much cheaper. All that colonial "woodwork" on the front sides and bottom of the cabinet is molded plastic! Even in '68! The woodwork on top of the cabinet and the sides is real wood though.
In that same TV, zenith used plastic angle braces to reinforce the cabinet from the inside. Most sets used the triangular cut pieces of wood to do this.

Ive seen alot of cheaper zeniths with photofinished cabinets, beginning around 1965 model consoles. They used some kind of composite board, not wood though. Alot of times, heavy things got placed on top of the set and you can see it cave in and in most cases, a permantent dip can be seen on top after prolonged support of a heavy object.

My late 60's zenith is exactly the same. The entire front fascia, including the scrollwork is plastic, the bottom fiberboard, the sides paper thin plywood, and the top is slightly thicker plywood with real wood scrollwork, all built around a 1x1" frame. At this point im thinking of having someone build a danish modern cabinet for it. This ones uuugglllaaay. Does anyone know what model year 16Z8C50 chassis is?

Carmine
09-04-2007, 04:49 PM
By the same token, they did seem to offer some really NICE cabinets, at least until the late 60s. But after the early 70s, it seems like you couldn't get a nice cabinet even if you had the bread.

I can only figure they had to go cheap on the cabinets to have any hope of selling against the wave of cheap import sets. You can't keep building hand-wired, steel chassis sets with huge transformers forever.

Far as I'm concerned, tubes and printed circuits don't even belong in the same sentence, let alone cabinet! :yes:

Too bad they didn't have me to write slogans for them.

RaymondLeggs
09-06-2007, 12:23 PM
There is an old zenith console TV in a pile of junk in my grandmothers house
The whole picture tube has slid into the TV and there are various other solid state TV's in another room too...

bgadow
09-06-2007, 03:14 PM
The whole picture tube has slid into the TV

Never a good sign! But some of us have fixed worse...

RaymondLeggs
09-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Never a good sign! But some of us have fixed worse...

I wonder why it slid in... now If My mom would allow me to haul it in and use it as a big heavy TV stand...........

I remember back when I was little that TV was a superb TV it had better sound than any of the plastic TV's I've heard lately no to mention better picture quality.Funny thing is that cheaper branded CRT Tv's tend to outdo
more expensive CRT TV's in the picture quaulity area......

Blue Meanie
09-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I wonder why it slid in... now If My mom would allow me to haul it in and use it as a big heavy TV stand...........

By definition, putting a functioning TV on top of a broken TV would make you a redneck.:D

Jeff

RaymondLeggs
09-06-2007, 09:43 PM
By definition, putting a functioning TV on top of a broken TV would make you a redneck.:D

Jeff

LMAO :lmao:

Adam
09-06-2007, 09:51 PM
What about stacking broken sets ontop of a working one (see pic)?

About the Zenith cabinets, only have 1 Zenith out of 9 that is in a really nice heavy wood cabinet (1961 b/w console 23" -- not the 1960 21" console pictured below). But I also like their metal tabletop cabinets (4 out of those 9 are those). I think the 1960 17" b/w in the metal cabinet I have is actually a nice looker. But by the early 70s most of what they seem to have made is those plastic table top cabinets which I don't like at all, one of these days I'd like to find one of those 1971 or so 4 tube color sets in a nice wooden console cabinet, I don't think I've ever seen one in anything but the plastic cabinets.

Blue Meanie
09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
What about stacking broken sets ontop of a working one (see pic)?

Best to ask Jeff Foxworthy.:yes: I was just paraphrasing him.:D

But not very picturesque, I must admit.:scratch2:

Jeff

Bill R
09-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Jeff

You also get extra points if you use one set for the picture and the other for the sound.

Bill R

JohnAdams
09-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I have a home theater cabinet that Zenith built in thier Springfield, MO factory for me in 1969 or 1970. The plans were left over from about 66 or 67. I had a 21" 64 model color set in a metal cabinet and a bunch of hifi equip. When I got married my wife wanted something done about all the junk so I got the cabinet and built everything into it. I still have the cabinet. No plastic anywhere and no "photofinish". I paid $300 and I see cabinets like it in Home Theater magazine going for $2K and up. How did I get Zenith to build me a cabinet?? I worked for the oldest and largest Zenith dealer in Northwest Arkansas from 1963 to 1971. We moved enough tv's that if our order was large enough our tv's came straight from Springfield with what was left on the truck going on down another 65 miles to Ft. Smith, AR to the distributor.

Keefla
09-08-2007, 11:23 PM
You also get extra points if you use one set for the picture and the other for the sound.

Bill R

:rockon:

Carmine
09-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I have a home theater cabinet that Zenith built in thier Springfield, MO factory for me in 1969 or 1970. The plans were left over from about 66 or 67. I had a 21" 64 model color set in a metal cabinet and a bunch of hifi equip. When I got married my wife wanted something done about all the junk so I got the cabinet and built everything into it. I still have the cabinet. No plastic anywhere and no "photofinish". I paid $300 and I see cabinets like it in Home Theater magazine going for $2K and up. How did I get Zenith to build me a cabinet?? I worked for the oldest and largest Zenith dealer in Northwest Arkansas from 1963 to 1971. We moved enough tv's that if our order was large enough our tv's came straight from Springfield with what was left on the truck going on down another 65 miles to Ft. Smith, AR to the distributor.

:worthless

JohnAdams
09-11-2007, 08:41 PM
AH! The cabinet is Italian Provincial. You are correct that this thread needs pictures. The grill cloth is still in one piece after all these years. It houses a 25" Zenith at the moment. I had a 25" System 3 in a wood table model cabinet that was a perfect fit but it was at a summer vacation home that burned in 2001. Next year may be the year I fix up a 46" LCD to rise up from behind it and re-outfit it with stereo equipment. All it has left is a belt drive turntable with no belt.

Carmine
09-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks for those pictures, very interesting. Might you have any pictures from when it contained the 21" set? I'd like to see pictures of the current install, photos of the set from behind, controls, etc. if it isn't too much hassle.

JohnAdams
09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Not very pretty at the moment. Just a 11 year old 25: table model shoved in. The 21" roundie was in it till about 1989. It was a 1964? model. It was prior to the 67 model my parents had where the controls were under the picture tube.
Somewhere I have some photos of the original set up. I had a Dynaco preamp and tuner under left lid and a turntable under the right. The power amp was in the bottom of the cabinet. If my memory is correct, the top of the home theater line of Zenith back in 63-64 also had the separate power amp mounted there. I think it was a tube type power amp. and they needed to get it away from the tuner.
BTW, By 1966 the top of the line Zenith home theater came with a 160 watt EIA (320w peak) power amp all solid state. Plus 8 speakers, 2-12” woofers, two exponential horns and 4-3 ½ inch tweeters.
I later updated my system to Pioneer Dolby ProLogic equipment. Speakers were for tv only as I had a pair of 12" Electrovoice "Voice of the Theater" speakers in 10 cu. ft. cabinets on either side. I saw the cabinet plans in a magazine in the 60's and the local lumber company built them for about $30 each. I was young and didn't have a clue that 10 cubic feet was the size of a small refrigerator. Had to take the door to my bedroom off it's hinges to get them in. With the windows open and the system cranked up, you could hear it 2 blocks away. No wonder my dad took a promotion that kept him on the road 4 nights a week. Will scan and post when I run across one.