View Full Version : Saved a 1971 model 23" Zenith from the crusher.

rca2000
04-11-2007, 12:35 AM
It is in a metal tabletop cabinet... The back is somewhat rusty, as is the chassis. BUT, the CRT has NO cataracts, and is a 23vabp22(I think) and it is complete. The front and top do not look too bad. I do NOT think the CRT is original, as it has a "yellow" label that says "Zenith chromacolor" as did their replacement tubes. I opened up the cage..and the fly is intact and does NOT look burned or anything. Chassis is 14B9C50

I am debating on saving this..It is big and heavy, and the chassis is kind of rusty too.. But I suspect it has potential as a donor set and possibly a good tube that will NOT need the cataracts removed.

jpdylon
04-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Stick it on a variac and let the caps reform for a day or two. These zenith sets I think are worth restoring because of their sweet picture quality. I think Zenith far surpassed any other tv manufacturer with their picture reproduction. Put a zenith, especially a chromacolor up against any other set and it will kick its ass. Period :yes:

Chad Hauris
04-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Make sure you save that CRT! It is a black matrix tube which is a great replacement for any of the 23V" sets (or 25XP22, 25AP22 etc), probably one of the best 23V" tubes ever made.

drh4683
04-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Those late 60's early 70's zeniths are my favorites. Definitly a save and a great find! Can you post some pics of the set?
I dont think the 14B9C50 came from the factory with a chromacolor tube. If it did, then the 3 color logo would have the black background. Original zenith tubes would have had the white sticker with green lettering. Known as the "sunshine" picture tube as they were called in zenith brochures (before the chromacolor crt). Nice catch.

rca2000
04-12-2007, 01:02 AM
It is still in the van. I will get home before the girls, and try to get a couple of of pix's (IF it is not pouring down rain, as it was today..). My dig. camera has a bad battery door and I have to run a cord to the van to take pictures.

I'll try and get a chassis pix. too.

rca2000
04-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Here are pixs. of this set- from the front, the side and the chassis.

The tube is VERY dirty on the front--but it looks like it will wash off. NO cataracts that I can see.

And--the yellow sticker on the tube(actually, it has fallen off) says something like "4789" in the ser# area.