View Full Version : Crt question

radotvguy
03-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok guys , i have a question and hopefully , someone can help . I have two round color crts in my attic . I believe they are 21axp22 . I pulled one out yesterday and tried to test it , unfortunatly nothing , it didnt even light up . Is there anything that i should be checking for . I am pretty new to tv repair , i mainly did radios for years however i came across a few nice consoles and got hooked on tvs , they are a bit of a challenge but a fun hobby .

polaraman
03-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Clean off the pins and try again.

polaraman

radotvguy
03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
the pins were clean , however i will check again . I didnt know if there was anything else with the socket itself that goes wrong or not ,being i dont have much expirience with these . One crt appears to be in excellent shape with no cataracs which is rare . I just picked up a magnavox color round screen console and the crt is in bad shape . Thats when i decided to pull out one of the crts in my attic , which i got from a repairman years ago and i just stored them in the event in ever would need one or knew someone who needed one .
thanks

bgadow
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
That is a frustrating problem. Some possiblities: a bad connection with the pins-you could try heating them up and getting some extra solder down inside. I have pulled the socket loose on several tubes after nothing else worked but this is a major pain. And I have never had it work. But worth a shot if the tube is otherwise to be condemned. Could be a loose connection inside the tube. Tapping on the neck LIGHTLY with a screwdriver handle or some such will sometimes work. All 3 guns are connected to the same pins but often just one will be loose.

The worst case...and sadly most common...is that the tube has gone to air and the filaments are bad. This is not an easy tube to come by so I would give it ever shot.

And...these tubes won't get cataracts. They are made for use with a seperate, non-bonded, safety glass just like early bw picture tubes.

radotvguy
03-28-2007, 02:55 PM
thanks for the advise . I will take a look at the tubes again tonight . I really dont think they went to air , i think its a connection problem , however like i said i never fooled with these before .
I talked to a fellow yesterday who is 6hrsaway from me and he said he has two new old stock color round tubes . He wants $75.00 each for them . I am guessing this is a good price . I really dont know though becuase i never saw one for sale yet . Like i said , i am a new amature to this tv stuff .

andy
03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
thanks for the advise . I will take a look at the tubes again tonight . I really dont think they went to air , i think its a connection problem , however like i said i never fooled with these before .
I talked to a fellow yesterday who is 6hrsaway from me and he said he has two new old stock color round tubes . He wants $75.00 each for them . I am guessing this is a good price . I really dont know though becuase i never saw one for sale yet . Like i said , i am a new amature to this tv stuff .

For that price, I'd get both. Even the more common types go for at least twice that plus shipping on ebay.

Dave A
03-28-2007, 06:38 PM
You might want to test the filament pins with a ohmmeter for continuity. That would rule out any crt tester problem.

Dave A

Bill R
03-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Are you sure the crt tester is working?

Bill R

radotvguy
03-29-2007, 08:26 AM
The tester is a beltron and seems to be working fine . I tested another color tube with it and it seemed fine . I think its probably a bad connection . I actually rejuvinated the color tube in a magnavox set in my shop with the beltron .

bgadow
03-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Did the other tubes you used that Beltron on use the same base, or were they rectangular tubes? If so could just be a bad adapter.

I am a real cheapskate, but I would buy those crt's in a heartbeat.

holmesuser01
03-30-2007, 01:08 AM
These are both metal tubes? I dont think you can replace a glass tube with one of these...

Had a Motorola branded 21AXP22 that I bought at an auction. New in the original box. It sat in my warehouse for 28 years before I opened the box. It had gone to air. The tube neck gets warm after a minute or two, but you cant see anything glowing.

Bruce

radotvguy
03-30-2007, 08:09 AM
Well , last night i took another look at the crts and the tester . I did get one of them to test on the beltron . It pretty much had a Dirty or bad connection the first time i tried it . Anyhow i was a bit surprised but this crt tested very good on all three guns . The screen itself has a few cataracs and dampness marks on it from being in a basement for 30 years ,but it tested well . I never fooled with one of these tubes before however i am told the safety glass can be carefully removed and the screen can be wiped off then the glass can be resiliconed back on . However i never did this procedure . Can anyone shed any light on this issue . I have another 21axp22 which is in good condition however one pin is very loose so i couldnt test it until i fix the pin . I had a lead on two brand new tubes and i was suppose to pick them up this weekend, however the guy that was selling them called me last night and said they werent available . I sorta think someone offered him good money for them and he sold them . He actually offered them to me for 75.00 each , i said no problem . But i understand these are hard to find , so most likely someone else gave him big bucks for them . OOH WELL !!!

bgadow
03-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Are you certain these are 21AXP22's? Because that tube did not use a seperate bonded faceplate. There would be no cataracts possible. That tube is easy to identify with it's metal funnel. If the tube is all glass it would have to be something else.

bgadow
03-30-2007, 11:53 AM
If they are really 21AXP they will be metal/glass without a seperate bonded faceplate. They cannot get cataracts and nothing can be removed from the front. All the other 21" color tubes were all-glass and some have the bonded faceplate.

radotvguy
03-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Come to think of it , yur right . I have to re-check the number . HHMM , now i feel stupid , i thought that was the number too .

radotvguy
04-02-2007, 03:03 PM
well Bryan , you were right , my mistake it was not a 21axp22 , it was a different number . Anyhow it worked out fine .