Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
Thanks! I didn't even think of that. Last I remember, the book was a little dog eared and ripped anyway. Now to find that damn remote
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 PM
site123a site123a is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Only problem is, the shell housing of the remote is glued together, no clips or screws! So I had to bust the seams to get it open, and taped the damned thing back together after cleaning, which did restore full key functions.
If it's not too much trouble, could you post some photos of the remote's inside casing? I would like to take apart the remote control for my Insignia converter box, but I want to get a good idea where to start prying it apart so I can cause as little damage as possible... Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by site123a View Post
If it's not too much trouble, could you post some photos of the remote's inside casing? I would like to take apart the remote control for my Insignia converter box, but I want to get a good idea where to start prying it apart so I can cause as little damage as possible... Thanks
Start at the battery-end of the seam. On mine that area was not glued.

Here ya go with the picture ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zen-insgDTVrem.jpg (76.9 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
I would suggest getting an All for One remote the next time you need to replace one, as I think the newer versions of these remotes have setup codes for ATSC->NTSC converter boxes. I have such a remote (an older one, pre-DTV) that uses one screw (inside the battery compartment) to hold it together; no glue anywhere--however, it will not operate both a VCR and a DVD player, so I haven't used it since getting my Memorex DVD over a year ago. By contrast, my GE universal that I use with my living-room video setup is glued together so well I'd be afraid to even try to pry it apart. Oh well. The thing only cost me $5 at Big Lots a couple years ago; at that price, it doesn't pay to mess with it when it goes bad or the buttons become intermittent.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Zenith26kc20's Avatar
Zenith26kc20 Zenith26kc20 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 857
rampant failure!

Now it's getting interesting to see how many "dead" OTA digital boxes are showing up. I just made two house calls for dead boxes. One was a Digital Stream and one was an Apex. I replaced them with Digital Stream boxes from "the shack". I took the Digital Stream apart and it is a ball grid array board so no chance of repairing it. Once these run out, ever wonder what next? I could use my 34 inch Sony to provide a signal to an RF modulator but it's OTA tuner is not as hot as most converter boxes.
From what I'm told, the boxes are not made anymore and when they are gone, they are gone. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #111  
Old 06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Ed in Tx's Avatar
Ed in Tx Ed in Tx is offline
Zenith Walton My 1st TV
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,420
A quick search on ebay revealed over 160 DTV converters for sale. I have a couple new in the box. My two Zenith boxes have worked flawlessly so far. Probably a lot of people got one because of the coupon and never hooked it up, like the extra ones I have which were with coupons friends didn't use. After that, when all the remaining functional DTV boxes are selling as collector's items for many times their cost new (yeah right ) I reckon they expect most folks to have bought a TV with an ATSC tuner in it.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 AM
rpm1200's Avatar
rpm1200 rpm1200 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 247
You can still get ATSC set-top boxes, they even output in HD, but they will cost more than the Coupon Eligible Convertor Boxes did:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...ail&returnurl=

My first ATSC tuner was a Motorola HDT-100, first-generation HD STB, what a piece of junk, but I still use it. It came out before the CECBs were available.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
My two DS boxes that I bought when they first hit the shelves are still working OK, as is the Channel Master. I have a Magnavox (Funai) and an Apex stored away in the closet. That Apex gets hot enough to fry an egg on top of it; so, I wouldn't expect it to last long.

Radio Shack MAY still have the DS boxes; but, I think everyone else around here has stopped carrying them. So, we are getting to a point where ebay, some mail order outlets, yard sales, etc. will be the only place to find any such boxes.

Why are these being discontinued? I believe the answer is because they don't want you to continue using your old TV.

As for me, I need to obtain a few more decent boxes just in case I need them.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
electroking's Avatar
electroking electroking is offline
a- v- karma member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal (QC), Canada
Posts: 743
We in Canada will need them by august 31, 2011, so I hope somebody is
making/importing them...
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 PM
AUdubon5425's Avatar
AUdubon5425 AUdubon5425 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Picayune, Miss.
Posts: 1,769
I've noticed when the converter boxes pop up on Craigslist they seem to sell darn fast - haven't been quick enough to score one yet (for under $20).
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #116  
Old 06-15-2010, 02:22 PM
marty59's Avatar
marty59 marty59 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 915
Your local Radio Shack store may still have the Digital Stream model in stock...I just checked mine, as long as you don't mind paying the $59.95 for one!
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
marty59's Avatar
marty59 marty59 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 915
I also went to the RS website and talked to a rep. For what it's worth, I was told that these are still being supplied by the manufacturer.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...2032199&s=null
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 06-15-2010, 09:09 PM
NowhereMan 1966's Avatar
NowhereMan 1966 NowhereMan 1966 is offline
Slave to 1 Cat
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tiltonsville, OH
Posts: 888
I have four myself, my aunt gave me the two she doesn't need since they got an HDTV last year. Three are in active service and one is in reserve. I have three Zenith DTT-900's and one DTT-901, the one in reserve is a DTT-900.
__________________
Mom (1938 - 2013) - RIP, I miss you
Spunky, (1999 - 2016) - RIP, pretty girl!
Rascal, (2007 - 2021) RIP, miss you very much
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 06-16-2010, 12:52 AM
pugs5061 pugs5061 is offline
No time for this hobby
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Posts: 162
My Radio Shack just got a bunch of converter boxes in last week. Didn't catch the brand but I know they were $69.95 and not Apex. Probably Digital Stream but they are selling on Radio Shacks website for $59.95. I will update everyone after I ask for more info later in the week when I stop in.
__________________
The surefire way to make sure your CRT is dead, sell it to me!
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 06-16-2010, 03:34 AM
colorfixer's Avatar
colorfixer colorfixer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 349
The Walmarts near the borders in Canada have lots of them. They carry the magnavox branded funai product at $69 CAD each. The Walmarts in Washington State also have loads of them as well.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.