Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
your not missing much
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
did some more viewing, had dragnet on (badge with red background) purity has issues, I need to get a proper degauser ring, but will also check the built in deqausing coil to make sure it is getting activated.

Convergence and pin cusion look good on OTA broadcasting but I will put the dot bar generator on it anyway later.

Still need to tweak the color setup the white is a little blue, but other than that it looks great. Nice bright picture with plenty of sharpness.

Stereo has issues, one channel does not repond to the volume but does to the balance, and tone is wrong as well on that one. I will need to pull the stereo chassis out and go over it.

Its going to be easy to hook up the stereo to the aux and just keep the vc on the tv turned down (thats what I was doing when I noticed the stereo amp issues).

Of course I need to fix the filter caps and button down those boards, but this looks like its going to be a push over (well until that stereo VC issued popped up anyway). My guess is an open VC ground on one channel, hope its a pcb issue and not the VC itself.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02-02-2010, 05:08 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
there is a very brief surge thru the degausser. I wonder if I could use the built in ring and a varic to directly run the ring for a short peiod of time.

energize it, the ramp down the voltage slowiy, with the variac hooked directly to the unpluged degauser that is.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Haha, yeah I know 8track was mediocre
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
darn stereo is turning into a tough dog...

one channel is fine, the other is some how bypassing the loudness/tone controls, you have to keep it turned almost all the way down on the balance pot to make it work.

I am 99% sure its not an open pot, but rather a decoupling issue. I had a problem like this a while ago, but I have done my normal checks of the audio decoupling caps and they test find and jumping them did not improve. I may have to did out the scope and see if I can see where the signal is getting in.

Argh... the TV was a push over and the dumb radio turns into a tough dog.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #96  
Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
I give for now, def need the scope to see where this darn audio signal is coming from....
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 02-03-2010, 05:20 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
found a 33k resistor in the bass tone circuit that had drifted off to over 100k and since the bad side has no attenuation in the tone circuits i will start there.

I am feeding a audio sine wave into the tape input and then tracing with the scope comparing L and R (they are both getting audio feed thru two coupling caps to the same source). I could see a change in amplitude at one point which then I checked with the meter to find the bad resistor. Its kind of a pain since its a pcb with resistor up on end, so you have to measusre from the foil side and look at the top side to see the color bands.

hope this is it...
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Ok, here is the deal, the resistor was ok (I was reading the wrong pad, again due to the upward mount of the resistor), but I got it fixed!

Very odd, It seemed like the signal was working upto a resistor, no signal on the side that comes from the pot, but signal on the side that goes to the amp, odd. I disconnect the jumper wire that connect the amp to the output of the loudness pot. no signal now (I have the pot turn all the way down, and signal was still getting amplified). hmmm I check the amp side no signal there either, hmmmm. I resolder the jumper and bingo its working fine now.

I have no idea what was going on, why the amp was getting signal with the loudness turned all the way down, but its ok now (I think, I am going to hook up and try again. very odd).
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
working perfect, man that was strange...

Now all I have to do is reinstall the stereo. There is no aux button like I thought. I may see if I can install a DPDT and put in a couple RCA inputs so I can choose between the Tape and the inputs of the TV.

Or maybe even get creative and do a DPDT relay that when off goes to the RCA for the TV tuner input and when on goes to the 8 track, then power it off the same power as the TV (maybe a pilot lite take off). That way when you turn on the TV the relay switches off tape and on to TV.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Reinstalled the radio in the cabitnet, hooked up the converter box to the tape in RCA jacks, I was wondering about the levels and if the volume would be right, worked perfect. While messing about with it I tried the turntable, seems pretty cheezy to me in quality. Its gonna need a little help the drive is not that solid, but at least the cart works.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #101  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Charlie's Avatar
Charlie Charlie is offline
On Land
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Warren, TX
Posts: 2,582
So, after all that, how does the stereo sound???
__________________
Charlie Trahan


He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
Reinstalled the radio in the cabitnet, hooked up the converter box to the tape in RCA jacks, I was wondering about the levels and if the volume would be right, worked perfect. While messing about with it I tried the turntable, seems pretty cheezy to me in quality. Its gonna need a little help the drive is not that solid, but at least the cart works.
It probably uses a BSR record changer and by the '70's, they were low quality. BSR went from cheap junk in the '60's to ultra cheap junk in the '70's. I will say that they usually work as intended once all the old grease is cleaned out and new grease applied where needed. Of course, you could always replace it with a better VM or Garrard changer.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:53 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
actually I think it says Garrard on it, will get a pic later, I dont know jack about turntables.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Sounds pretty decent, and really very sensitive as I was able to get some pretty weak stations very well. I did not remember to clean the darn loundess control its just a touch scratchy, not bad just a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 02-03-2010, 08:01 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Still very frustrated as to exactly what happened on the stereo.

My best guess is there was a tiny solder blob that I knocked loose near the input of the stereo when I desoldered the jumper that connected the amp to the volume control pad on the pcb. It looks like someone had put in a helper cap at some point, as it was zip tied to the chassis, but it also looked very factory in that it was zipped to a support that seemed to have no other function. I noticed the tiny blob and knocked it off when desolder the jumper.

Who knows maybe its been that way for a long time. You could use it the way it was if you just kept the balance turned almost off on one channel, and did not mind the mis match of tone (the overlly loud channel did not respond to any of the tone controls). I was too tired to mess with trying to figure it out, by then I just wanted it working as I was up till 1am last nite messing with it, even missed the rockford files...
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.