Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 06-12-2004, 11:47 PM
drh4683's Avatar
drh4683 drh4683 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,094
Since I never worked on one of these before, I had a difficult time figuring out how to select between UHF and VHF preset tuning.

When I had channel 44 on, I pulled the little window to see if there was a switch. Once I pulled out the tab, the channel went out and I realized the UHF windows have a tab that push a switch to activate UHF. Anyone have spare numbers for UHF? Id like to find a channel 50,23,20,62 which are the other UHF channels. Im surpised the set didnt already have those, as from the channel numbers already on the set, its set for chicago TV stations.
__________________
I tolerate the present by living in the past...
To see drh4683's photo page, click here
To see drh4683's youtube page, click here
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 06-12-2004, 11:49 PM
drh4683's Avatar
drh4683 drh4683 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,094
Its got a bright sharp picture. Hopefully this set will last. These electronic sets seem to be much more trouble prone. (ie, no mechanical on off swich, channel selection etc)
__________________
I tolerate the present by living in the past...
To see drh4683's photo page, click here
To see drh4683's youtube page, click here
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 06-13-2004, 03:40 AM
Charlie's Avatar
Charlie Charlie is offline
On Land
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Warren, TX
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally posted by polaraman
Got this Maggie set yesterday at an estate sale in Atlanta.
Polar,

i recently threw away a Maggie like that one. Would have been a nice set, but it had too many issues and wasn't worth dealing with.
__________________
Charlie Trahan


He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-13-2004, 10:11 AM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
Those early 80's system 3 sets had some of the best CRTs I've seen. I have yet to see a bad one and most still look like new. Does that use a 9-180 board, or does it have a large power transformer? The 9-180's had lots of soldering problems.

If you can't find any channel strips, make your own by scanning the digits you need from the strips you have, then make the strip you need in paintshop, or similar. Finally, laser print them on a transparency and cut them out. You might have to laminate the printed side with clear tape if the toner scratches off easily.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-13-2004, 12:16 PM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
Doug, Dwight gave you good advice. Those early System 3's were Zenith's last good sets before everything started to go down-hill for Zenith. As I've stated in earlier posts, I went to a System 3 seminar in early 1981 with my Uncle at Truesdale distributing in Omaha. That was an experiance I'll never forget! Truesdale had a private showroom with different models of Zeniths from early B&W's thru the current model year. Fresh out of the box, un-used with the hang-tags still attached. I often wonder what happened to those sets when they closed. Anyway... Zenith really pushed the superiority of the System 3 over the Chromacolor chassis as both were avalable for awhile. Zenith stressed how easy service was for the tech compared to the Chroma chassis. The name System 3 was chosen because everything to do with the sets chassis was on 3 modules that had plug-in connectors. Also the picture tube had a triple-focus gun. (hence "System 3".) At the time Zenith advertised it heavily with the slogan "2 more than any other CRT!" I think the tube is made out of special "Corning" glass and is pretty heavy. When working ,the picture is superior to even most sets made today. The tubes weren't bad, but have a higher failure rate then the standard delta type Chromacolor tube. I just got a 1979 19" System 3 with remote. It's supposed to be completely cable ready, but I can't get it to tune into anything higher than channel 37, so don't know if that module is bad or what, as it's suppossed to recieve 105 channels. Mine has the "Zoom" feature which is fun. A System 3 set will not have the pin connection problems or the cap problems that are to be found on a Chromacolor 2 chassis. An intersting side note... Cap problems on the Chromacolor 2 chassis about bankrupted Zenith. They had a massive re-call and we were quite busy installing the replacement kits on ALL the sets we sold. Zenith only covered certain model years but ALL Chromacolor 2 chassis had that problem. It's the big cap that is right under the horizontal module. I think the "safe" cap is orange. If you come across a Chroma 2 chassis with a white cap then you have problems. Zenith stood by the repairs tho and a story with us I'll never forget is that we had a customer with a console Chroma 2. That model was NOT supposed to be covered, but the cap blew taking out the picture tube with it (blew the neck right off) Zenith did not hesitate on paying ALL costs! Anyway... I'm being long winded, but thought you might enjoy my experiance with Zenith's during those years and at the beginning of "System 3".
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #96  
Old 06-13-2004, 03:16 PM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
105 channels means 12 VHF + 70UHF + 23 CATV, so stopping at 36 would be normal.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Carmine's Avatar
Carmine Carmine is offline
...enjoys spaghetti.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
When working ,the picture is superior to even most sets made today.
Yeah, I'd have to agree w/that. I have one also, (In my computer room, so it sees heavy use!) and the color/sharpness amazes me. Sometimes I'll see low-priced China sets at discount stores, and have to laugh when I realize that my 25-year-old-set has a FAR better picture!

However, now you've caused me some concern. My set has been making a rather obnoxious buzzing sound, whether it's on or off. (It's a space command). I often unplug it. A few months back, I removed the back to try and isolate the buzzing sound. Naturally, it shut-up and didn't start making noise until I re-installed the back.

Could this be the capacitor problem? Is my set a deadly time bomb with a nice picture?
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-13-2004, 09:02 PM
drh4683's Avatar
drh4683 drh4683 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,094
I know that capacitor issue was a serious concern. In 1979 my uncles house caught fire and burned up the entire 2nd floor of his home in St. Charles. It was caused by his zenith chromacolor. I dont know all the details, but I know it was the TVs fault.
__________________
I tolerate the present by living in the past...
To see drh4683's photo page, click here
To see drh4683's youtube page, click here
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-13-2004, 09:04 PM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
Carmine, Is your set a System 3 or Chromacolor 2 ? Zenith's seem to be a tad noisey with high-voltage. They were that way out of the box. If your set is a Chromacolor 2 take the back off and look at the cap. If it's orange the modification was probably done. If it's a System 3 then you don't have that problem to worry about. Either way, could just be the high voltage anode cap getting a little brittle. I have a Chroma and a System 3 and they are both a tad noisey.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Carmine's Avatar
Carmine Carmine is offline
...enjoys spaghetti.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 1,612
Actually, the set doesn't say either. Just "ZENITH Space Command". Can't remember how many modules in the chassis.

It does have an in-line CRT if that helps.

Not a high voltage noise, I'm used to noisy Zenith HV supplys. As I said, this noise occurs whether on or off. Unplugging the set gets rid of the noise immediately.

Jeez, now I just unplugged it because it's making me nervous! Don't need a house fire! Too much vintage stuff in this house now!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #101  
Old 06-13-2004, 10:00 PM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
Carmine, If it's in-line it's most likely a System 3 altho Zenith did make a few models of the Chroma with an in-line tube. Those caps are high-voltage caps and will only fail while the sets running. I'm not sure what your noise could be. How odd. I think I saw your set in an old post and it's a nice looking set. I wouldn't let it worry you.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 06-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
I used to help a friend at his TV repair shop around 1979-1980
We replaced a lot of those 4 legged caps, I seem to recall a couple sets with the CRT busted from runaway H.V.

Wasn't the System III set the one with the large Mainboard with clip on interconnect cables going to the other modules?
There was a very high failure rate on those when they first came out, we replaced tons of those boards under warranty!

The picture was incredible though, the color was very detailed and accurate as as I recall.

Eric
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 06-13-2004, 10:23 PM
jstout66 jstout66 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ne
Posts: 1,484
Yes Eric, That would be a System 3. If the set is still running it most likely has had that module changed. I remember my Uncle had to change out quite a few of those as well. It was the very early System 3's that had the problem, and the replacement module seemed to work okay and didn't fail. I don't know what caused the failure in the original ones. I had a focus tripler changed in a Chromacolor set awhile back, and was able to get the cap set from Moyers (the tripler came from them as well) For all of us with Chromacolor sets we still use, and they are still running it is most likely the cap change was done. I remember all the packs Zenith sent my Uncle, and a sticker was also included to place somewhere on the set to mark it as being repaired. I can't remember the color of the "safe" cap tho. If memory serves me, if you have an orange cap then the modification was done. If you have the white cap, then I would not run the set untill the repair was made. Anyway... Zenith was aggressive in making sure those sets were modified. Those sets still have the best damn picture. So good in fact it's eerie! Pretty remarkable when you consider the Chromacolor 2 is now 30 years old and the System 3 is now going on 25!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 06-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Big Dave's Avatar
Big Dave Big Dave is offline
Dead from the neck up
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Warren, OH
Posts: 474
The orange caps were the replacements. I have fixed a few of those sets myself.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 06-14-2004, 06:53 AM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
We used to have a chroma2 when I was a kid (1975 model)...I remember it had a label stating "4 lead capacitor modified"...That must be the orange safety cap.

I thought only the very early models (like 72-74) had the bad cap...did Zenith catch this on the production line sometime once the problem was known?

Also it seems like certain models of Magnavox and maybe other makes used these types of caps and were susceptible to similar problems.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.