Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Just out of curiosity I decided to take a short cut and just bridge a cap across the 35v supply (that is the most filtered one, has a 1500uf on it) and I got this...


Mind you I did not even touch the screen color setups.

amazing on a single cap can do.

Oh and the IF board did not have ANY chassis screws so I stole one from another board and used a single screw to ground that board. Dont know if that had anything to do with the pic improvement.

Rapidly turning into a favorite

Last edited by DaveWM; 03-18-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Charlie's Avatar
Charlie Charlie is offline
On Land
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Warren, TX
Posts: 2,582
Damn!!
__________________
Charlie Trahan


He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Dude this thing is working great! shocking (no pun considering the early get my attention shock from the HV) picture with minamal effort.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
The other thing I noticed was aside from the few electros that were just bad enough, all the rest of the parts (carbon comp resistors and reg caps) all tested fine. Make me wonder if stuff made today will hold up as well.

Oh I dont recall if I mentioned it early in the thead but when I was loading this brute in the explorer I lost control of it and it fell face 1st on a concreate driveway. All that wood protected the CRT and all the controls, just a mild scuffing of the wood that should sand out nicely.

Try that with a modern set.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 PM
sampson159's Avatar
sampson159 sampson159 is offline
sampson159
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: columbus,ohio
Posts: 2,170
that black matrix crt is amazing isnt it?i had an e45 with electronic tuner once.it had some vertical lines on one side that was very distracting.3 slight lines that drove me insane.checked and changed out too many caps.no difference.finally decided to nail it back up and just get used to it.the 3rd module (horizontal board)wasnt screwed down.so i found some screws and tightened her up.bang!no more lines!3 days off and on of work.wrote this condition down in my little notes book.i remember that set very well.my favorite sylvania.i still remember that little repair note.i just for got where i put my repair notes book.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #81  
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
Well after I go thru the filter caps and find screws for all the boards I will need to go thru the screeen setup notes to set the various pots.

I did not check all the caps in the horz part of the deflection board (since it seemed to be working), prob should have.

This always happens, I get a set that I think is a basket case so I dont want to invest a lot of energy in it, then they keep surprizing me by starting to work better and better. My 1st TV was that old B&W maggie console, I swear I kept hoping it would not work so I could just give up and take the horn speakers (the only reason I got it at the time, it was another freebee), then next thing you know its working great.

Not complaining mind you, just an observation of how its been going lately. No tough dogs since that darn hula (bad filament ground on vert sweep board). The way this one turned out is just fine, and a good motivater to get back on those other big consoles.

I sometimes think I really would have enjoyed owning a tv shop back in the 50's-70's just born about 20yrs too late. Geez how great it must have been to actually be able to just order up some parts from a jobber and have them delivered the next day, or get a rebuilt tube or new CRT.

Better late than never, glad I got into this hobby and found the forum

Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Hey, that's awesome Dave ... She looks like a keeper!!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post

Oh and the IF board did not have ANY chassis screws so I stole one from another board and used a single screw to ground that board. Dont know if that had anything to do with the pic improvement.
Years back I was fixing up an Akai receiver, and found that missing/loose board mounting screws allowed microprocessor crud into the audio. Was a low level high frequency buzz. I ended up using screws with split ring washer/spring things to apply pressure on the board ground trace-chassis connection, even if the screw is slightly loose. Seems to work well years later.

If the extra filter cap cleaned up the hum, and it wasn't the chassis screw, I'd replace the original cap that is supposed to do that filtering. Before it shorts out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
roger that on the filter cap, that was just a quick fix to see the hum bars go away, I will do a proper fix on all the filter caps (take out of circuit the old ones). The set is growing on me. Next I have to find an 8 track drive belt and some old 8 track tapes
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Charlie's Avatar
Charlie Charlie is offline
On Land
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Warren, TX
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
Next I have to find an 8 track drive belt and some old 8 track tapes
That wont be hard to do.... those are a dime a dozen!! I think I may have one of Barry White laying around here.


WA2ISE: I had one of those 80's Akai's... it developed that same noise you're speaking of. I got rid of it (wasn't playing with electronics at that point) and wish I wouldn't have. I liked that receiver. I see them on ebay now and then.
__________________
Charlie Trahan


He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #86  
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
if you happen across any led zepplin let me know, already married so no need for barry white....

I used to have a boat load of those 8 tracks, I became very proficent at snapping the tape back into the case after it got chewed on and pulled out of case. Also love the way it would cut rignt in the middle of the song,
fade out...kerchunk....fade back, nothing like respecting the artist material.

oh well just another way to mark the period (70's) .
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 AM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
Just be sure to replace the pressure pads and sensing foil. It seems like almost every 8-track I found would break right where the foil is attached.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 AM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
gotta locate a drive belt 1st. think I will try my local surplus store (skycraft).
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Charlie's Avatar
Charlie Charlie is offline
On Land
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Warren, TX
Posts: 2,582
Probably easier to find an 8-track belt than most people would think.
__________________
Charlie Trahan


He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
My mom has a faux-leather suitcase filled with 70s 8tracks in the garage. it's pretty much the only analog format I never messed with however....
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.