Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Reel 2 Reel's Avatar
Reel 2 Reel Reel 2 Reel is offline
Mad Dog Junkie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rockport Texas
Posts: 82
BUMP!!!!!..

Whoops I tripped over one of captn. Picards slippers.....
__________________

Gary in Texas
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-29-2006, 01:41 AM
pustelniakr's Avatar
pustelniakr pustelniakr is offline
Silver Miner at Large
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 20
I seem to remember a black and white movie, where God over-rode the radio broadcasts, all over the world, every evening at 7:00pm every day for a week, and had some interesting admonitions for the world. I can't remember the name of the movie, or I would find it to watch it.

Rich P
__________________
Quote:
Woe to the king whose wicked subjects praise him. Blessed is the righteous king whose wicked subjects revile him.
R' Ariel b Yochanan, 5763 <------That's me
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 AM
JoeESP9's Avatar
JoeESP9 JoeESP9 is offline
The Ears Decide
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 4
Favorite TV series ST Deep Space Nine best charecters of all the ST shows. I loved B5. I have an unopened sealed box with an action figure of G'Kar inside.

Most hated TV series Lost In Space juvenile silly and just plain booring

Classic movies Forbidden Planet (The Mighty Krell), The Day The Earth Stood Still, Blade Runner, A Clockwork Orange.

I have a library (500 hardbacks 1500 paperbacks) of Science Fiction. I have almost no fantasy. What I do have leans toward hard Sci Fi. Authors like Larry Niven, Frank Herbert, Asaac Asimov, R.A.H (the Master) and William Gibson are among my favorites.

I could go on and on. I've been a SciFi fan since I was about 8 or 9. I read Rocketship Gallileo then and have been hooked ever since.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:21 AM
JoeESP9's Avatar
JoeESP9 JoeESP9 is offline
The Ears Decide
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pustelniakr
I seem to remember a black and white movie, where God over-rode the radio broadcasts, all over the world, every evening at 7:00pm every day for a week, and had some interesting admonitions for the world. I can't remember the name of the movie, or I would find it to watch it.

Rich P
I remember that movie also. The movie you are thinking of is called, "The Next Voice You Hear...". It was made in 1950, and starred James Whitmore and Nancy Davis (yeah, Nancy Reagan...).

Last edited by JoeESP9; 06-29-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Lost in Space "juvenile silly and just plain boring" Aww, come on...Didn't you just LOVE Dr Smith...? And those blood-blanching monsters...the big mummy lookin one that had the helmet that gave you anything you wanted...the giant Cyclops...the look on Dr Smith's face when one of these gargoyles popped up...Watchin' Penny develop ti..uhh, well, them blood-blanchin' monsters... <grin>
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #66  
Old 06-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Drybasement's Avatar
Drybasement Drybasement is offline
Hold the ketchup...
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Midland, Michigan
Posts: 41
Sci-Fi is my favorite genre in movies.

Favorite series:
Lost In Space
Star Trek The Next Generation
Star Trek Deep Space 9

Favorite movies:
John Carpenter's They Live
The Thing (John Carpenter version)
12 Monkeys
The Fifth Element
Blade Runner
Lost In Space
Star Trek TNG series of movies.
Pitch Black
The Chronicles of Riddick
Outland
Alien series although the last one was really stretching it a bit.
Terminator 1 & 2
The Abyss
Total Recall
War Of The Worlds - Yup, I liked the new version.
Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi

Worst movies:
Star Wars (the first three and the most recent from George Lucas)
Terminator 3
Alien vs Predator
Armaggeddon
Independence Day
2001: A Space Odyssey. Incredibly boring.
Leviathon. Incredibly stupid.

That's it so far.
__________________
...and pass the mustard.

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. ~ Yogi Berra

Last edited by Drybasement; 06-29-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
DaWoofer's Avatar
DaWoofer DaWoofer is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Elkhart IN
Posts: 23
What 50's movie was it were the brains jumped on you and sucked your brains out and got smarter each time they sucked a new brain?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 AM
bjarmson bjarmson is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: WI
Posts: 9
Just one guy mentions Iain M. Banks. WTF. Get and read "Consider Phlebas," "The Player of Games," "Use Of Weapons," "Excession," and "Look To Windward," far future space operas set in a society he calls the Culture. Constantly amazing stuff. No better SF being written.
Also no mention of Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan novels. If there are any better character driven space operas being written today (or any day for that matter), please tell me what they are.

I also suggest renting/buying the short-lived TV series "Firefly" and the movie spinoff "Serenity." Amazing writing, amazing ensemble acting in a gritty, alternate, real feeling Star Wars universe, without aliens (sort of). Drama, comedy, action/adventure with intellectual depth. Joss Whedon (who's "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" might also be on this list, particularly if we're including brains eating your brains stuff), one the most creative writer/producer/directors working in video media today, was at the top of his game for this series/film. "Serenity" is better than the three "Star Wars" prequels put together.

For a top five, in no particular order (except chronological):
Forbidden Planet-The Tempest in outer space. Sometimes a little too 50's in feel, but a great concept, and some FX that still looks great.
2001-Arthur C. Clark meets Stanley Kubrik in a film both monotonous and brilliant.
Star Wars-The original, put SF in the major leagues, and was a breakthrough in effects field. Of course, its evil spawn is everywhere now.
Blade Runner-A Phillip K. Dick novel, done on the big screen to perfection by Ridley Scott. Many different cuts, I'm partial to the voiceover director's cut.
Serenity-Star Wars if Han Solo were the major character, there were no aliens or Jedi, and the creator/writer/director had real talent.

Last edited by bjarmson; 06-30-2006 at 12:45 AM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I have already mentioned some of my favorite movies in another thread, but wanted to mention two TV series that I think are standouts. They are "The Outer Limits" from the mid-sixties and "Science Fiction Theater" from the mid-fifties. Both were standout sci-fi series. Generally above average story lines and good acting, with The Outer Limits having a kind of film noir style. "The Galaxy Being", "O.B.I.T.", and "Don't Open Til Doomsday" are among my favorite episodes.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I particularly liked "A Feasability Study" & "The Zanti Misfits"-David Opatashu (Opatashu-is that not a GREAT name for a sci-fi actor, or what ?!?) driving that big 1963 Lincoln in the fog & then-BOOM !- this disfigured hand is on the windshield...the frantic music they used in the series...Aww, man, why can't they do something like "OL" today, without it turning into preachy treacle about Brotherhood & Diversity..I just wanna have the SHITE scared outta me by some disgusting latex monster...<grin>
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #71  
Old 06-30-2006, 06:34 AM
Reel 2 Reel's Avatar
Reel 2 Reel Reel 2 Reel is offline
Mad Dog Junkie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rockport Texas
Posts: 82
I know it will be a long wait...but ...

I waiting for Larry Nivens 'Ringworld" to be made into a movie... the backgrounds would be cool if they were to be anything like I envisioned them....

And what the hell do ya think a pupeteer would reely look like?....
__________________

Gary in Texas
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I particularly liked "A Feasability Study" & "The Zanti Misfits"-David Opatashu (Opatashu-is that not a GREAT name for a sci-fi actor, or what ?!?) driving that big 1963 Lincoln in the fog & then-BOOM !- this disfigured hand is on the windshield...the frantic music they used in the series...Aww, man, why can't they do something like "OL" today, without it turning into preachy treacle about Brotherhood & Diversity..I just wanna have the SHITE scared outta me by some disgusting latex monster...<grin>
Both are great episodes! I also really liked "The Bolero Shield", "Demon With a Glass Hand", and "Corpus Earthling". The later two starred the great Robert Culp. I am glad to see that someone else enjoyed this show like I did. The original series was far superior to the new one. Even though the special effects can't compare to modern ones, the stories and acting were so much better.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-01-2006, 12:08 AM
bjarmson bjarmson is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: WI
Posts: 9
Some more movies I just recalled. "Dune" in both its David Lynch version (for its truly remarkable production design, not its truncated telling of Frank Herbert's story) and the SciFi channels version (stays much closer to the book, has some good people in the various roles) are good. And an Ursula LeGuin novel, "The Lathe of Heaven," also a SciFi channel production (I think). About a guy who dreams reality, and the shrink (James Caan does a good job) who manipulates him to better his position in life. Very good, low budget, but cleverly done.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Anybody remember "Rod Serling's Night Gallery"? There were a couple of them that STILL kinda chill my shit.."The Earwig" was one. Another was one I can't remember the name, or much about it, but it was some dude who could fake death if you went "Knock knock knock knock-knock" on something w/yr fists... And then there was one w/ Clint Howard, I think, who played a kid who could see the future..and the sun was going supernova, but nobody but him knew it...Another great, underappreciated series was "Darkroom" from 1980-81, or thereabouts. There was the one episode where this dude finds a way to go back to WW2 & save his father's ship from being sunk...but in the process,somehow, Germany wins !! I think I'm one of about 3 people who watched "Darkroom"- I don't think it even made it one whole season...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-02-2006, 12:57 AM
old_tv_nut's Avatar
old_tv_nut old_tv_nut is offline
See yourself on Color TV!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rancho Sahuarita
Posts: 7,790
I'm not sure, but didn't "The Lathes of Heaven" appear on PBS? Anyway, having read it first, I really was looking foreward to how they would do it on TV. The premise has some of the absurdities of time travel stories - like, how did the shrink get to know/believe that things had changed, when, as it started, only the protagonist could remember that things had been different before each dream.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.