Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,475
You could probably bring the chassis there if your careful, and no one there is going to mistreat it.

Of course it might be time to get a 25$ soldering iron, and an order of caps. I used to work on the floor for the better part of a decade until I got my first work bench.....I can't tell you how many holes in carpet that I've melted.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-10-2015, 07:31 AM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Just pull the chassis. The CRT is usually mounted on it on
big Zeniths. Typically 4 bolts from under, then the 1/4 inch holding
the tuner & vol. control. Carry with the CRT face against you
so you know where the CRT neck is all the time. Weight is better
distributed that way too. You may need an extra long 1/4", I
will dig up the part # for it later.

73 Zeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
As of right now, it's impossible for me to replace any capacitors, resistors, or do any sort of work on the TV. I have no soldering iron, no parts, no workshop, no nothing. And it's too big and heavy to take downtown to the workshop. So as far as fixing it, I'm up a creek.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-10-2015, 09:34 AM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
I unscrewed the chassis and pulled it back about 3 inches yesterday to vacuum the dust out. Perhaps I'll pull it out the rest of the way to make notes of the capacitors and resistors.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Username1's Avatar
Username1 Username1 is offline
Not sure how I got here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 3,656
You should make the investment in fixing it before going on and replacing all the caps.
That way you get to see if the nearly impossible to get parts are working...
Picture tube, yoke, flyback, etc. Just my 4 cents.... Good Luck...

High pitch squeel = Horizizontal section.
Pungent odor = Burning parts, flyback, yoke, resistor, mouse.....

.

.
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy"
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-10-2015, 10:53 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
As of right now, it's impossible for me to replace any capacitors, resistors, or do any sort of work on the TV. I have no soldering iron, no parts, no workshop, no nothing. And it's too big and heavy to take downtown to the workshop. So as far as fixing it, I'm up a creek.
When I first started out, I did my work on the kitchen table, like others did. I hand carried all the chassis, I worked on. I would remove the CRT and make two trips from the customer's house to mine.
I guess, I was lucky that I gained experience, hanging around a TV shop, all the summer of 1957. I learned how to change CRT's, replace components and minor troubleshooting. That was before I started doing it on my own.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #66  
Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
I can't figure out how to get the chassis out. There are wires going from the chassis to the tuner and power-volume knob. I don't see any logical way to disconnect any of them. I want to at least take the chassis and tube downtown this weekend.

Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-10-2015, 06:00 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
The tuner comes out with the chassis, remove the knobs and the screws at the back and the whole thing should slide back and out.

Judging by those slotted holes on the bracket, there's probably a place on the chassis where it can be bolted on while servicing it.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,475
Yeah, the tuner and volume control sub-chassis should be removable by just removing knobs and some screws.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-10-2015, 06:59 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
The volume/power also has to come out.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-12-2015, 12:11 PM
dave1138 dave1138 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Friendswood TX
Posts: 24
Once you get the chassis out, I would recommend removing the picture tube (very carefully!) and finding a place to safely store it. If there's space in a closet, that's a good location but make sure nothing can fall on it. Then you can move the chassis around for restoration without risking CRT damage. You won't need the picture tube again until ALL of the capacitors, with the possible exception of the square micas, have been replaced and out of tolerance resistors have been replaced. Somewhere along the way you will need to have the tubes tested and a continuity test done on the flyback (Horizontal Output Transformer).
Phil Nelson's site has an excellent article on replacing capacitors:
HTML Code:
http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #71  
Old 09-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,475
On mine, which is about a year older, it had a raster and I recapped it a few at a time (doing test power-ups every few caps). I prefer to service those with the tube in place since it is easier to get and keep the chassis on it's side with the tube mounted. The whole chassis/tube assembly on those is pretty solid, and as long as you don't smack the neck real good or take a sledge hammer to anything else, it should be fine.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.