Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Somebody near you has got to have a degaussing coil. You can degauss your set and then see if it's still got the green blotches. If it doesen't, then you can replace a couple of parts on the degauss circuitry and get that working.

Most sets I've been around would make a HUMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm sound when I turned it on after being off for an hour or more, that fades away really fast as the tubes warm up. If you turn it on when its cold, listen close and see if you get the hum that fades.

I wouldn't adjust anything until you know the purity is OK, and the first thing is the magnetism issue.

Best of luck to you. A schematic is your friend.

Last edited by holmesuser01; 05-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 PM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 839
yeah, work just not giving me enough time to go to Fair Radio and dig up a diagram when they are open. Thanks! I will check tomorrow morning and see if she hums for me indicating a good degauss circuit
.

Last edited by radio nut; 05-02-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-02-2012, 05:55 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
I reworded the above reply to you>.>>> If you degauss it, and the blotches go away, then you fix the degauss circuit.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 839
Ok, I did understand what you meant even if my reply was not a good indicator. I did edit my reply so it should make more sense!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 839
Well, I turned it on and heard pretty much nothing.... and I had everything in the apartment turned off. No hum.

My wife was the hardest to make silent... she knew what I was doing and still wanted to try and talk the whole time!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #66  
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Reece's Avatar
Reece Reece is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cleona, PA
Posts: 2,178
I used to degauss CRT's with a small power transformer the core of which was E and I laminations. I took out all the I laminations which left the three legs of the E open, the coil wound on the center leg. The ends of the legs then "shoot" plenty of field. Plug this in across the room from the TV and slowly approach the TV screen moving the transfomer all around slowly. You can get pretty close to the screen and see the colors moving around. Then back away slowly across the room before unplugging. You can also use a soldering gun for this: the built-in transformer has a good external field. Remember to hold in the switch starting across the room and don't release the switch until you've backed away again.
__________________
Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Username1's Avatar
Username1 Username1 is offline
Not sure how I got here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 3,656
On that Toshiba - Sears tv, the degaussing coil is a 2 prong plug that goes in somewhere on the left side of the chassis, green & black wire maybe, you could unplug it, turn on the set, let the tv come on, and then plug it in and see if you can see it degauss on screen.... But you can't do that with all tvs just this one if I remember right.... worst thing it just won't come on. Wish I still had my sams on that model. It was my first color set so I was all over every inch of it.... Also the yoke has a big thumb screw making it tight on the neck, don't force it, but see that it did not ever move that will lead to color problems. Same with movement of the convergence magnets.
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy"
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Just dont move or adjust anything before you do the degauss!

Thanks for chiming in, Username. I cant remember specifics on these Toshibas, but I do remember replacing video output tubes, and audio output tubes more than anything.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I used to degauss CRT's with a small power transformer the core of which was E and I laminations. I took out all the I laminations which left the three legs of the E open, the coil wound on the center leg. The ends of the legs then "shoot" plenty of field. Plug this in across the room from the TV and slowly approach the TV screen moving the transfomer all around slowly. You can get pretty close to the screen and see the colors moving around. Then back away slowly across the room before unplugging. You can also use a soldering gun for this: the built-in transformer has a good external field. Remember to hold in the switch starting across the room and don't release the switch until you've backed away again.
Ok would an 80 watt soldering iron be enough? I can purchase a de"g" tool at Fair Radio. I also will check the other idea of disconnecting the tv's coil and turning it on and then plugging it in and see if anything happens.

I did put a little pressure on the purity assembly trying to get my big hands in the set to check and replace tubes so hopefully it did not get moved.

So the bottom half of the screen is green tinted.... but is is the whole bottom half. uniformally green.

I really don't think anything has been hit or moved because in my opinion the rest of the screen seems crisp for a small tv and has good color but I am still trying to get a good picture posted here and let You gentlemen give your opinions

Last edited by radio nut; 05-03-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added more
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:11 AM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 839
Well, I put a big magnet on the screen, pulled it away and turned on the set...still green tint.After running it for a while the picture started getting jittery.

So I have a lot more work to do !

Then I remembered one thing I have not done I always do. I pulled tubes and put a small amount of marvel mystery oil on the pins and reinserted them, did the same on the degauss connector.
Now the set is playing perfectly! I want to post pictures and ran my set with a dvd player but it putssmall bright retrace lines on the screen. hooked to a hd to analog converter the picture is fine but my camera see's and shows a wide moving black bar plus I can't pause live tv.
Thanks for all advice given!!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #71  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
I dont think I would have put a big magnet on the screen. You've probably helped to magnetize the shadow mask inside the tube, now.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-05-2012, 01:12 PM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 839
I know next time not to do the magnet idea. I'm happy it did no damage since the set is performing great now with a solid picture and the green tint is gone.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 PM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 839
well these pictures are as good as I can figure out how to do and they do not do the picture justice. I was told to slow down my shutter speed to take nicer pictures but can't find that on my camera! Again thanks everyone for helping!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0493.jpg (43.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0487.jpg (59.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0507.jpg (70.7 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Looks pretty good for a TV that was never ment to last this long. Glad you've got it going. I'd loved to see the insides... just for the memories...
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 PM
radio nut's Avatar
radio nut radio nut is offline
Born in the wrong decade
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Posts: 839
I might just have to do that. Also as of now besides tubes the set is original, pic tube and everything else....still original!

In my opinion, watching the set run in person the colors are striking....... but I am sure I am biased

Last edited by radio nut; 05-08-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added more
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.