Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-23-2007, 09:56 AM
jimfet's Avatar
jimfet jimfet is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: N.C.
Posts: 63
I think the new Harry Potter book should be made into a movie.
__________________
I'm the one that's got to die, when it's time for me to die.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-23-2007, 10:14 AM
rickr15's Avatar
rickr15 rickr15 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mesa AZ.
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmotor
I am indeed among friends. I'll reread this one every 5 years or so. (Crazy Eddie is not a former NY hifi merchant.)

Staying in the Niven/Pournelle theme, I'll add Lucifer's Hammer.
Both great books. Lucifers Hammer is my all time favorite end of civilization book.
For all you sci-fi fans try Barbara Hambly out. Some of her books would have made great swords and sorcery movies. I think one of them Dragonslayer actually did get made.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-23-2007, 10:19 AM
rickr15's Avatar
rickr15 rickr15 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mesa AZ.
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolba
Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 or pretty much any Clive Cussler book....except its has to be well done...not the crap that has been done in the past...
I would like to see a well done Cussler movie also, but it probably wouldn't be possible to squeeze in all the historical facts and plot set up that makes his books such an interesting read.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 AM
slow_jazz's Avatar
slow_jazz slow_jazz is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Michigan, Downriver....
Posts: 148
any of the Anita Blake - Vampire books written by Laurell Hamilton.

i think Michelle Rodriquez would be great as Anita Blake.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
We have really hit the sci-fi shoulda motherload. I will confess that I like simple stories as much as complex ones especially when it is about the underdog triumphing. Jack Vance barely gets mentioned when sci-fi books come up. Neither does Andre Norton. For the most part they wrote simple stories that I still enjoyed immensely along the way. My favorites from Vance are "Emphyrio" followed by "The Blue World". From Norton, "Sargasso of Space" followed by "Star Guard". Both would lend themselves nicely to movie treatment because there is a reasonably complex plot in all of these with multiple surprises and turnarounds.

Getting more complex and deeper into tech is "Inherit the Stars" by James Hogan. The hook is simple, what happens when you find a spacesuited dead body on the moon that is 50,000 years old? It gets into the origins of man on earth that (IMO) blows away the whole von Daniken, God was an astronaut theme. There are several books in the series but the first one trumps all. I read the book first 25+ years ago and it is filled with imagery not unlike 2001 brought to the screen along with lots of interplay between characters. In many ways, it is very like 2001 but completely unique.

Space War and battle has plenty to choose from

Steakley - "Armor"
Haldeman - "The Forever War"
Saberhagen - anything from the "Bezerker" series, the original Borg except they do not assimilate.

All 3 writers have a good feel for action, the stories do not drag, and the characters seem real. Saberhagen doesn't get as deeply into character development for the humans but sure does for the Bezerkers. An unrelenting machine intelligence that is adaptive, resourceful, and totally committed to the extermination of mankind anywhere it can find them in the galaxy. There are 8-10 books in the Bezerker series.

I saw the earlier mention of "Enemy Mine". I could not agree more as to what total crap that was. I recall when it was out one of the director's most proud accomplishments was that they'd integrated a futuristic container of Pepsi into the "story". With so many good works to choose from, it amazes me what gets picked to be made and who is chosen to do it.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #66  
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM
electronjohn's Avatar
electronjohn electronjohn is offline
I like....big sparks!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 652
Interesting article on MSN today on why we, sigh, might be barking up the wrong tree:http://movies.msn.com/movies/sci-fi?GT1=7701
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-23-2007, 02:46 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjohn
Interesting article on MSN today on why we, sigh, might be barking up the wrong tree:http://movies.msn.com/movies/sci-fi?GT1=7701
I believe it reinforces the earlier comment that ultimately it comes down to the vision & skill of the director to correctly bring the any book to screen. It also seems to be saying between the lines that too few actually get science fiction for it to be portrayed correctly & therefore needs to be modified for general public consumption.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Sluggo's Avatar
Sluggo Sluggo is offline
AK Member &
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Olympic Peninsula USA
Posts: 11
Being a retired Smoke Jumper,I always thought Norman Mcleans-
"YOUNG MEN & FIRE" would make a good film (man gulch fire tradgedy)
Bob redford did a good job with Mcleans "A river runs through it"
wish he'd take a poke at this one.
Another book I feel would make a good flick is Edward Abbeys"THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG"
Mark!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_jazz
any of the Anita Blake - Vampire books written by Laurell Hamilton.
Correction -- any of the early ones -- the later ones would basically be rated X.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-06-2007, 05:21 PM
MikeyN MikeyN is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Mostly just to see who would play the part of Ignatious Reilly
If you know this book you know what I mean
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #71  
Old 04-06-2007, 05:37 PM
JimJ[VT]'s Avatar
JimJ[VT] JimJ[VT] is offline
Glowbug Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: McLean, VA/Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 53
I would have liked to have seen Gates of Fire made into a movie before 300 ever was...

I don't know, they already made a lot of my favorite books into movies I thought the adaptation of Black Hawk Down was stunning.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-06-2007, 08:04 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyN
Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Mostly just to see who would play the part of Ignatious Reilly
If you know this book you know what I mean
They had Will Ferrell all signed up & ready to go.

Thank God the project collapsed.

The King of Paradise gas is not Will Ferrell.

Chris Rock however could play Jones in his sleep.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-06-2007, 11:50 PM
MikeyN MikeyN is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6
Confederacy of Dunces..

You are right on...I love Farrel but no can do for Ignatious..Maybe he could pull it off but I don't know if justice would be served.
I didn't know COD was in consideration for the big screen. I would love to see what Hollywood would come up with..
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-06-2007, 11:52 PM
MikeyN MikeyN is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6
You are right with Rock-Never thought of that.
I'd go see that in a heart beat.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Correction -- any of the early ones -- the later ones would basically be rated X.
What's your point

Cripes, now I'm reading "Also Sprach Zarathurstra", no, I'm sorry, no movie there....ever....

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to gain control of the masses by evoking their herd instinct. bhahahahahaha!!!!
__________________
Main: McIntosh MC2125, McIntosh C27, Ohm Acoustics Walsh 300's, AMC CD8b, Luxman K-373, Marantz 2110, Phillips N4504 w/dbx 222/200/NX40, SOTA Moonbeam w/Shure V15II/JICO-SAS
Upstairs Mancave: Yaoin VK2100, Ohm Walsh F's, Luxman D-373, Sony ST-3950SD
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.