Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 01-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,109
Mine was a movie about a computerized hospital called "Terminal Choice", a mid-80s flick. Scared the daylights out of me. In fact, I was telling my wife about this very movie last night.
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Urizen's Avatar
Urizen Urizen is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 55
As a young child, there was a movie or series called "Devil Dummy"? It was about a ventriloquist and his dummy which had to be caged at night as it would escape creating mayhem. Nightmares over that one.

As I got older, "The Birds", "Jaws", "The Exorcist", "The Shining", "The Silence of the Lambs" and "The Blair Witch Project".
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Dynacophil's Avatar
Dynacophil Dynacophil is offline
I ain't Phil, I'm 'phile
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR
Phil you should change your avatar now before you are told to, can't have any nudity in them. As much as I like the boob in your it's gotta go
Buen dia, Thor!

i knew from the late seventies when we nearly got lynched on Long beach beeing with topless chicas on the beach in the sun, but this was 30 yrs ago...
what happened meanwhile, puritan revival?
but anyway, before the Hammer hits me i covered it

not Phil, Helge (the *phil is the german spelling of *phile)
__________________
"Iss dein Schitzel, sonst kriegst du keinen Nachtisch“
Elliot Reid

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-29-2006, 05:10 PM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Stereo
"Here's Johnny!"

They tried re-doing that movie a few years back, and the second version just plained sucked! Why would you do something like that?


"By the way, Lloyd, pour me another will ya?"



Retro
The sad thing is Retro, that the mini-series was executive produced, and the teleplay written by King himself. Supposedly the intent of the remake was that it would stay truer to the original text, and be something that King would be happier with, than he had been the original film. But you're exactly right, it just plain sucked.

The Kubrick version is light years better than the most recent rendition.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-29-2006, 11:39 PM
TVTeufel TVTeufel is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 16
I was around 12 when I saw "The Thing" in 1953 as I remember. ...didn't think I'd live to be 13 with the nightmares it produced.

James Arness played "The Thing".
Who's James Arness you ask.
He went on to star in "Gunsmoke".
What's "Gunsmoke" you ask.

Nevermind - It helps to be an old phart.

Only "Alien" comes close to the subtlety of "The Thing".

Ron.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #51  
Old 01-30-2006, 08:27 AM
THOR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotno
The sad thing is Retro, that the mini-series was executive produced, and the teleplay written by King himself. Supposedly the intent of the remake was that it would stay truer to the original text, and be something that King would be happier with, than he had been the original film. But you're exactly right, it just plain sucked.

The Kubrick version is light years better than the most recent rendition.
I gotta admit I understood what was going on in the mini series better than the original. But no one has a chance being as scary as Jack.

Makes me wonder who they'll get to play The Joker when he appears in the next Batman movie? Gonna be tough to live up to Jack's version
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 AM
THOR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I love the John Capenter remake of The Thing. One of my faves!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Y'all might laugh, but I found "Deliverance" to be a very scary movie. Well, disturbing, I guess, more than scary. But think about it...The Banjo Boy...the grossly deformed kid in the house... the accident that leaves the bone sticking out of Burt's leg..."Squeal Like a Pig, Boy!"...the sheriff (actually James Dickey, who wrote the book), the hand raising out of the lake...the juxtaposition of such an incredibly beautiful place-and North Georgia IS very pretty-and the dreadful, nightmarish events...-Sandy G.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:04 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
I remember it well, for me it was "Island of Terror" (Night of the Silicates) w/ Peter Cushing when I was ~11 or so. Lab experiment goes wrong and calcium eating mollusk things are set loose on a Jersey island. Victims have their bones sucked out of them and leave a very squishy corpse. I watched it after school one afternoon before anyone was home & halfway through the film I was locking the doors & shutting drapes. I may have even had my Hillerich & Bradsby on hand.

Honorable mentions -

Rosemary's Baby
Nightmare on Elm Street (1st one)
The Changeling (still creeps me out)
Haunting of Hill House (original)
House of Wax (original)
Many more I've thankfully forgotten
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:14 PM
rbneron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
"Jaws" was my first PG movie...ouch! I lived in Florida at the time, and remember that everyone was scared to go in the water. A very impactful movie.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #56  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:19 PM
tentoze's Avatar
tentoze tentoze is offline
Twangophile
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 125
Victor Victoria- Julie Andrews as a cross-dresser gave me nightmares for months.
__________________
"If evil exists, it's a pair of train tracks,
And the Devil is a railroad car."

-Josh Ritter-
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Toasted Almond Toasted Almond is offline
Ballbreaker
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Exit 5 on the Jersey Turnpike
Posts: 78
TVTeufel has a point. It was different when we were kids, and the original The Thing was one scary movie to a kid. Invaders from Mars too.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Sansuiman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Ok,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL db
I saw a movie when I was between 7-9 in the mid seventies that scared me pretty good.

It had made it to TV by then and I remember watching it with my parents...

About all I remember from the movie is that it takes place on an airliner that was either
possessed or haunted.

I only remember two scenes from the movie... one of the crew had to go through one
of the cargo holds, and "whatever" was on board had turned the hold into a deep freeze
where if the cold itself didn't kill ya, touching anything gave you instant frostbite.

<SNIP>

Scott
This movie had to be "Horror at 37,000 feet". I think William Shatner was in it, a pretty cheesy 70's made for TV movie. It definately had it's moments where it got to you.

For me, Evil Dead was probably one of the scarier movies I've seen. Another was Demon Seed, had an evil computer voiced by Robert Vaughan (though he was uncredited in the movie interestingly enough) of Man from U.N.C.L.E. Fame. Kind of a wacked out early 80's combo sci-fi/horror job. Pretty intese at times.

Amityville Horror also ranks up there (the 1976 version, not that rancid steaming heap of crap they re-made a couple of years back) I saw this as a kid. Now, it just looks like a low-budget BS job. Which is exactly what is was.

And, don't forget the Exorcist III - after the bad joke that was Exorcist II, it tends to be overlooked. It was actually a very good movie for both story and production value. It also spooked the hell out of me, as opposed to the chuckles I got hearing Richard Burton say "Pizuzu" or whatever stupid demon they were talking about in the second movie.

One more that gets honorable mention - The Car. Insanely stupid 70's horror movie about a big, black, ugly car with full window tint and no door handles on the outside, that honked it's horn when it was about to attack. Starred James Brolin as the police chief in another one of his great performances (insert sarcasm here) and the car was, I suppose, driven by the devil. I laugh at it now, not so much 20 years ago.

Kevin

Last edited by Sansuiman; 01-31-2006 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Stoopid scroow up!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Y'all might laugh, but I found "Deliverance" to be a very scary movie. Well, disturbing, I guess, more than scary. But think about it...The Banjo Boy...the grossly deformed kid in the house... the accident that leaves the bone sticking out of Burt's leg..."Squeal Like a Pig, Boy!"...the sheriff (actually James Dickey, who wrote the book), the hand raising out of the lake...the juxtaposition of such an incredibly beautiful place-and North Georgia IS very pretty-and the dreadful, nightmarish events...-Sandy G.
Just think Sandy, if it scared me and you (and it did scare me) - I can only imagine how terrifying it must be fer Yankees!
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
No shit Fotno, I knew some folks not TOO different than the people in the flick...This was filmed below Chattanooga in Dalton & Calhoun, Georgia, & there was a bit of a kerfuffle at the time as the locals weren't exactly best pleased at the way they were portrayed in the film...-Sandy G.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.