Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 AM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I recently read on another video forum (not AK) that these players will fail within nine months after initial purchase; the problem is a cheap capacitor that eventually swells and splits open, rendering the player inoperable.
If you know which cap will do that, change it out now, before it goes bad and takes out other parts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
If you know which cap will do that, change it out now, before it goes bad and takes out other parts.
That's the rub--I don't know which of this unit's caps is the weak one, as I don't have the schematic.

I don't think my player will quit on me now, however, as I have owned it ten months and it is still working as well as the day I bought it, last September. But you can never tell with electronics these days. The person at Big Lots who wrote up the sale was all but gushing about how well made these Memorex DVD players were; I guess I'll just have to wait and see what actually happens with mine.

One brand of DVD player I would not touch with a ten-foot pole, however, is GPX. I bought a GPX radio/cassette player about 25 years ago; the cassette deck went bad within three weeks. If this was how GPX's merchandise was made in the mid-1980s, I don't want to think how cheaply built their DVD players may be now. I also had a CyberHome DVD player that lasted all of three years, then quit, but not suddenly. At first I could get the thing to work if I fiddled with it long enough; however, it eventually reached the point where no amount of insertion/ejecting/re-insertion of the disc would get the player to work. The on-screen display would show "no disc" at this point (even with a DVD in the deck), so the player wasn't even trying to read the disc.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 AM
richms richms is offline
VK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 36
Frequent failures of dvd players is crud on the lens, the cheap ones dont seem to dock them away when there is no disc in it, so stuff lands on them.

May have just needed a clean..
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-06-2009, 04:42 PM
peverett peverett is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 883
Stopped by Fry's today(Texas), and they still are carrying the Channel Master and another brand that I had not heard of.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
NowhereMan 1966's Avatar
NowhereMan 1966 NowhereMan 1966 is offline
Slave to 1 Cat
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tiltonsville, OH
Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
These guys also have the Channel Master box.

http://www.summitsource.com/digital-...00-p-6886.html

I think I'll go ahead and order one before they become unavailable.

I thought I got lucky on the Zenith box. Sears shows the DTT901 on their website; but, claims the item is no longer available for shipment when checkout is attempted.

Now, I'm even more determined to keep all of my "outdated and un-eco friendly" televisions. They just THINK they're going to force me into buying a giant "etch-a-sketch" looking thing that masquerades as a quality TV. The day me and my "obsolete technology" part company will be the day I leave this world!
Yeah, I just can't get used to those flat TV's. I like the consoles that you set up in the living room. I'm thankful for my 1982 Zenith that we've been using since we bought it new. I wouldn't mind an LCD for a portable TV or one for a camper to save space, but you cannot beat the old CRT TV's.
__________________
Mom (1938 - 2013) - RIP, I miss you
Spunky, (1999 - 2016) - RIP, pretty girl!
Rascal, (2007 - 2021) RIP, miss you very much
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #51  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
Yeah, I just can't get used to those flat TV's. I like the consoles that you set up in the living room. I'm thankful for my 1982 Zenith that we've been using since we bought it new. I wouldn't mind an LCD for a portable TV or one for a camper to save space, but you cannot beat the old CRT TV's.
I agree 100 percent. The new plasma and LCD flat-panels may have good pictures at this stage of their development, but any good CRT set will beat them by a mile. (A CRT set doesn't need a backlight bulb to illuminate the screen, either, and CRTs last many years, not just one or two as is so often the case with the cheaper LCDs/plasmas.)

IMHO, it will be quite a while before flat-panel TVs will have a picture as good as a good CRT set. I would put either of my own CRTs, my RCA XL-100 CTC185 living-room daily watcher or my 1995 Zenith Sentry 2, up against any offshore-made FP with an obscure name any day.

Your Zenith TV has really held up over the last 27 years--typical Zenith (some years before the Gold Star takeover--I wouldn't expect a "Zenith" branded TV made since the late '90s to now, however, to last nearly that long). Does yours still have its original CRT? How much service, if any, have you had done on that set in all that time? If your answer is "none", I won't be surprised. My own Zenith Sentry 2 has 14 years on it and has needed absolutely no service or repairs whatsoever; still makes a beautiful picture on cable. My RCA CTC185 hasn't required any chassis repairs, either, and still works very well on cable, in the nine years I've owned it; however, I did have a problem with the RF port for the antenna/cable snapping off the tuner PC board after I'd had the set about a year. It happened twice; the repairs were not cheap, on the order of $60 each. The second time, however, the repair tech not only resoldered the port to the board, he reinforced it so that it wouldn't snap off again (it hasn't, so far; this TV has fallen off its stand once since then, with the cable connected--but it still works) and also resoldered the ground points around the tuner, which were a real problem with all RCA sets from the CTC18x until about the CTC203. The problem was loose ground connections around the onboard tuner that would cause noise to enter the EEPROM chip, rendering the entire TV instantly unusable. The CTC203 and later sets had the tuner mounted separately from the main chassis, eliminating the grounding problems that had plagued the earlier sets.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by peverett View Post
Stopped by Fry's today(Texas), and they still are carrying the Channel Master and another brand that I had not heard of.
Just out of curiosity, what was that other brand?
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Brian Brian is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto On Canada
Posts: 123
Yesterday I stopped by the local TigerDirect and all they had was an Apex converter. Converters up here don't seem to be common. The box said it qualifies for the $40 coupon. I doubt Otawa would send a check for $40 if I sent them the receipt.

More importantly, they had a couple of off the air indoor antenna on the cheap. As no salesperson was willing to go the tele department I did not do other than look. On the way home there is a home theatre center so I stopped. The 2 salespersons were busy so I wandered around and into the high end room. Really big and nice Sony on the wall with an amazing picture. The remote was there so I started clicking channels and did note they seemed to be locals. I did not think about it though.

A salesperson came in and asked to help. I explained I was interested in the off the air antenna systems and whether it actually could deliver. Nice guy but, did not answer the question. He asked if i liked the picture of the Sony and changed channels a couple of times asking the same question. He then asked if I could live with something less than the quality I was wathcing. Come on question if there was ever one. I answered yes as I was not a HT person but more interested in cutting out the cable bill which this morning I learned was going to be increasing again. He told me I could do both. Yeah, the sales pitch, can see it coming. He then told me that all the time I was looking at over the air. Yeah, right. He took me to the front and showed me the square encased antenna. All the time I had been holding the remote. He then unscrewed the cable and we went back into the room and there was no signal. He then went out and reconnected the lead and it was back.

The store is furthernorth than I am from downtown Toronto but the store as a pretty clean line shot down the 404/DVP. Needless to say, I am impressed. The antenna from them is $150 and was mounted just above head height in a window. He did mention that when a big rig turns the corner and passes between the antenna and downtown from time to time it will interfere but they prefer not mounting it outside of higher so persons can get an idea as to what it can do.

I'm thinking about picking up the Apex box and one of the TigerDirect antennas just to se what it will do and then getting the antenna the store had mounted if wifey can live with the channel selection. While still torn between the converter and getting a new tele, I think this way for the immediate time will do.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:54 AM
peverett peverett is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 883
JeffS, I did not have anything to write with, so did not write the name down. I believe the off brand Fry's carries started with a C. They had several.

On strange thing was that the Channel Master and the off brand converters were in completely different locations in the store. The off brand was near the other TV accessories while the Channel Masters were near the parts section. The only reason that I saw the Channel Master converters was that I was looking for parts.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 AM
peverett peverett is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 883
JeffS, I took a look at the Fry's website. The off brand is Coby. According to the website, it is only available at the store, no online ordering.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #56  
Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
I can't say that I've ever had anything by Coby that was worth a flip. I'd stay away from that brand unless you have no other choice.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Jeffhs's Avatar
Jeffhs Jeffhs is offline
<----Zenith C845
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fairport Harbor, Ohio (near Lake Erie)
Posts: 4,035
I have a telephone and a pair of stereo headphones made by Coby. Both work very well; in fact, I've had compliments on the transmit audio quality of the phone. (I'm not using the phone at the present time, as it does not have caller ID.) The headphones sound excellent with my Aiwa bookshelf stereo system; as a matter of fact, these phones sound much, much better (better overall frequency response) than the Sony MDR-24 stereo phones they replaced several months ago. I wouldn't dream of comparing the Coby phones with, say, Koss or Sennheiser headphones (there is probably no comparing them to these high-end phones anyway), but the Coby headphones sound excellent in their own right as far as I am concerned. The only thing I could find wrong with my Coby stereo phones when they arrived here from Radio Shack (I had ordered them online) was that the plastic piece which fits over the stereo-mono switch was missing. However, I didn't notice that until I'd had the phones a month or so. Since it doesn't affect the sound of the headphones, I didn't bother sending the phones back to RS.

I can't imagine why RadioTVNut in Mississippi doesn't like Coby equipment, unless he has had bad experiences with it. As I said, I've only had experience with two pieces of Coby gear; I don't know about their DVD players and other equipment. Perhaps that's what he is referring to--maybe Coby's DVD players are made with such flimsy, cheap plastic parts that they break within a month (!) of initial purchase of the device.

My own "stay away from" off-brand of electronics (one of them, anyhow) is GPX. As I mentioned in another post, I had a GPX radio/cassette recorder about 25 years ago in which the cassette deck failed within three weeks after I bought the device. I didn't take it back to the store, although I could have (probably should have), as the store from which I purchased it was only a block or so from my home at the time.

However, I made up my mind after that experience that I would think at least twice before ever again buying any piece of electronic gear bearing the GPX logo. I saw a GPX DVD player in an ad flyer for Target in my Sunday paper last week; the player was selling for something like $15. I can just about guess how long one of these players will last. It's probably made with flimsy, thin plastic parts, the cheapest electronic components available, and may, for all I know, have a non-resettable timer in it set to disable the thing after X number of hours (!), days, weeks or months after initial purchase, this being a hint (a very strong one) to the owner that the unit will fail soon and will have to be replaced.

I realize nothing lasts forever, but sheeesh--this is ridiculous. It wasn't so long ago one could buy a TV set, for example, and expect it to last 10-20 years; in fact, I had two Zenith color portables that were at least that old when I got rid of them 10 years ago, and they were working as well as they did when they were new. These days, one can purchase a small-screen flat-panel TV for under $200, but he or she had better not expect the set to last anywhere near 20 years; more likely, the set will fail within a year or two if it's an obscure offshore brand, but that's the way it is in the 21st century, like it or not. LCD flat-panels need a backlight to brighten the picture enough to be watchable; these bulbs cost some $200, more than many small FPs sell for, so I predict in a few years, or perhaps even sooner, we will see a lot of FPs (those that aren't being recycled, anyway) on curbs and treelawns with nothing more serious wrong with them than a burned-out backlight. There will as well be a fair number of FPs thrown out when the video driver ICs go bad, as these are molded into the cable between the panel and the chassis.

And so it goes.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 07-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
My main experience with Coby is with their DVD players and their boomboxes. Very cheap made and they usually don't hold up. My Brother-in-law couldn't understand why his new Coby DVD player went south after just a few movies. He's the type that goes for the lowest possible price with no regard for quality. I tried to explain to him that he's not saving any $ if he's constantly having to replace his low cost equipment. I suggested that he spend a little more and he might actually get a DVD player that will last more than 10 hours play time.

I agree that GPX is a junk brand. They were very common finds at the dollar stores around here during the '80's and '90's. I put Lennox Sound in the same category.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 PM
peverett peverett is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 883
I did not buy one. As I have had a good experience with the Digital Stream DTV converters from Radio Shack, I have been sticking with them.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
MRX37 MRX37 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by peverett View Post
I did not buy one. As I have had a good experience with the Digital Stream DTV converters from Radio Shack, I have been sticking with them.
Just bought one of these myself. They had a very small pile of them left.

I'll post some details after I get it all hooked up and whatnot.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.