Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
MRX37 MRX37 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post

Most any ferrite core with the right threads will probably work. Old IF transformer coils and such stolen from something in your "junk box" (we all accumulate a fair amount of scrap electronics we keep around just for reasons like this).
Yeah, but all the ferrite cores I have are either too big or too small. The bolt sticks out a tad, but not very much.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Kiwick's Avatar
Kiwick Kiwick is offline
slave to 3 equines
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
Okay, here's my substitute for the broken slug, tell me if it's a great or a stupid idea:

I found a steel bolt that is of the same diameter and threading as the slug. I put it in and it seems to work fine.

I also found a diddle stick that actually fits the other coils too!
be careful, unlike the original ferrite core, the steel bolt, being highly conductive, is subject to parasitic induction currents and may overheat and damage the coil

Don't ask me how i learned this...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
MRX37 MRX37 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwick View Post
be careful, unlike the original ferrite core, the steel bolt, being highly conductive, is subject to parasitic induction currents and may overheat and damage the coil

Don't ask me how i learned this...
Ai yai yai...

I think I'll just hold off until I get another ferrite core.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.