Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
RaymondLeggs RaymondLeggs is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky.
Posts: 31
I wonder if any color Mini TV sets were made?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Oh, yeah...I've seen 'em in 1.5", 2.75", 3.75", 5", 5.5",7", 8" & 9"...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
A few more 4.5" sets!

Got these recently, the yellow and turquoise sets are absolutely mint in the original boxes, the turquoise one has never even been removed from the plastic and the seller said it was still wrapped in Christmas paper when they found it!

The other three are used, the pink one is very pink!

The 5" set on the left in the last picture arrived from Canada with the evacuation tip broken off the CRT, arced like crazy inside the tube when I turned it on, luckily I had a junker set with a good one, luckier still all that arcing didn't blow out the IC, replaced the tube and it works fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twotvs.jpg (65.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg threetvs.jpg (31.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg red.jpg (24.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Eric H; 09-15-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 AM
MunkeyQ's Avatar
MunkeyQ MunkeyQ is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South-East England
Posts: 4
I have one of the white Made In China ones which I use to test video recorders. It's really handy to just pick it up and plop it down wherever you need it... Unfortunately it's not sensitive enough to pick up any stations at all with its whip antenna where I live.

I also bought one of the first hand-held LCD TV's with an STN screen. Cost: £2 including shipping. It looked cute so I bid for it - and best of all, it can somehow get every station with its diddy whip. So far I've added a jack for an external antenna.

Is there a simple way to hack a composite video in into those Chinese sets?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkeyQ View Post

Is there a simple way to hack a composite video in into those Chinese sets?

I'm not sure what the Euro versions of these are like but most of mine have a Composite video jack on them, a few also have an Audio jack.
I think the idea was to use them for baby monitors or for security cameras where sound wasn't so important.

The boxes for yellow and turquoise sets above say they work on 525 or 625 line video, don't see a switch to change it so I guess it's automatic?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #51  
Old 09-16-2007, 06:03 PM
fsjonsey's Avatar
fsjonsey fsjonsey is offline
Living The Draper Ethos
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
A regular customer dropped in one of the 5" in TV/CD boomboxes I mentioned earlier for repair today. I took some pics of it in pieces. I'll post another pic when I get it back together, but I've had enough of it tonight. It's quite cramped in side and actually quite difficult to get apart. The unit doesn't use the most common version of this chassis that I see. It's the karaoke version and they replaced the TV tuner with a camera so you can see how stupid you look when your using it. If I'd known this thing was showing up I would have bought a simliar model at last nights auction to make my life easier.



I removed the CRT for a better look.





There is lots of hot glue and masking tape in this thing.



This chassis is different to the one I usually see in these type of things. Rather than use the 5in TV chassis as is they have designed a different chassis that also hold the power supply and stereo amplifier for the built in speakers. Other versions have the amplifier on the CD player PCB and just use the common TV chassis as is. Those versions use an external plug pack as there is no room in the case for a mains transformer. There are numerous bad electrolytic capacitors, they seem to the most common problem in cheap chinese electronics.
Id still love to see a homebrew tube chassis driving one of those.
__________________
This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 AM
MunkeyQ's Avatar
MunkeyQ MunkeyQ is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South-East England
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I'm not sure what the Euro versions of these are like but most of mine have a Composite video jack on them, a few also have an Audio jack.
I think the idea was to use them for baby monitors or for security cameras where sound wasn't so important.

The boxes for yellow and turquoise sets above say they work on 525 or 625 line video, don't see a switch to change it so I guess it's automatic?
Ah, the ones sold over here only have a 3.5mm plug for an external antenna (they give you an adaptor) and a headphone socket. I didn't know that there were so many slight variations - you should take a photo of your whole collection of baby TVs together.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
dr.ido's Avatar
dr.ido dr.ido is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SE Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 550
Most of the recent-ish ones I see have audio and video inputs. I'm in Australia with 625 line PAL, so surely there out there in the UK too. The older ones only have the 3.5mm antenna socket.

I picked up a Panasonic 5" TV clock radio at last Friday's auction (no pics yet). It would be the oldest and biggest 5" set I've seen in a while with screw terminals for the external antenna and a VHF only tuner.

I went down there today to pick up a rear projection set one of the vendors dropped off for repair and saw a little 1.5" amongst the stuff for tomorrows auction. If I get down there in time tomorrow I'll try and grab it along with another of those TV/karaoke/boomboxes. The one pictured above was a write-off. After fixing the power supply the CD mech turned out to be bad, for what it's owner is willing to pay I'd rather just buy him another one. They are not fun to work on.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.