Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 PM
John Folsom's Avatar
John Folsom John Folsom is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Melbourne Florida
Posts: 932
bgadow,

How do you find the performance of your CTC-5? After recapping my Muntz CTC-5, I find the performance to still be kind of "muddy". I have aligned the IF and chroma sections, but still I do not find it to be a stellar performer.
__________________
John Folsom
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Muntz Photos

The odds of this having a picture of that set are slim but still it's intriguing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Viewmaster-Reel-...QQcmdZViewItem
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-26-2006, 12:15 AM
John Folsom's Avatar
John Folsom John Folsom is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Melbourne Florida
Posts: 932
Geez Louise, Eric H! How do you find this stuff??

But you are probably right, it is unlikely to feature any color TVs. I think the smart move would be to contact the winning biddr (not me), send 'em a picture of my Muntz and ask if it is featured.

thanks!
__________________
John Folsom
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-26-2006, 03:46 AM
doug621ts doug621ts is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow
John, I am really glad that you (and others) are posting pictures like those. There is no way most of us would ever get to see such rare sets.

Here is one third of my color roundie collection. On the left is my CTC-5 Whitby, on the right is my CTC-11. Some of the others may still be posted on here somewhere but I'll try to get some fresh shots of them this weekend.
Hey Brian

Couple of nice sets there and with great color pictures! Your CTC11 model was the first color tv I ever saw as a kid and im hoping to find that exact one for sentimental reasons. Could you give the model number of that set? I cant tell but does it have safety glass or the bonded CRT?
Doug
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-26-2006, 03:54 AM
doug621ts doug621ts is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom
I can only speculate as to why Muntz had the hole cut in the cabinet. Did Muntz even make the cabinet? I don' know. I can only assume there was some decorative escutcheon plate that covered the hole, for reasons unknown.

The cloth covered panel below the CRT hinges out and down to reveal the controls. Kind of awkward, but all part of its charm.

The guy I got the set from reports he got it from the original owner (illinois), and that she was told to keep the dust out of it, so she regularly took the back off the set and vacuumed up the dust! I once again assume that these would be the original knobs... but who knows? If anyone ever gets any independant inof on this Muntz TV, I sure would like to hear of it.
Hi John

Concerning the channel knob, im near certain its original as i had a mid 50's Muntz black and white with the controls on the side and the channel knob was basically the same in design to the one on your set. Im curious, are the legs original? Im asking because they are abviously not a matching "blonde" color to the rest of the set. That set has to be as rare as it comes!
Doug
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
A couple more pictures of my collection are here

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthr...7&page=3&pp=15

Those are the pictures I took of 5 of the 6 running. Here I have attached a picture of the 6th-no, it wasn't too shy for the last photos, I just couldn't get back far enough to fit it in the picture! (CTC15, the one I've had the longest)

John, my CTC-5 has some quirks. I have almost entirely recapped it (missed some mostly in the audio section). Until it warms up it has problems related to contrast/brightness/agc/horizontal. I had been all through the hv/horiz section when first getting it to work but I feel the problem is probably in that general area. When all is right it can do a pretty good job, but maybe a little more washed out than the newer sets. If you look at the photo in the last post the 11 looks a little better than the 5 but in some other pics I did side-by-side the 5 looks better. In that 5-at-once pic it is hard to tell but the 5 really looks good compared to the rest, though I think the camera had much to do with that. Someday I will dig into it again. I am kind of afraid to jinx it as getting it to work was quite an ordeal.

Doug, the model number on the 11 is 212 G 805 MV. It uses a seperate safety glass-I guess a bonded tube was an option then or else was about to be made standard. Mine has a rebuild with a bonded glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006_0826Image0008.JPG (115.6 KB, 50 views)
__________________
Bryan

Last edited by bgadow; 08-27-2006 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-28-2006, 02:36 AM
doug621ts doug621ts is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow
A couple more pictures of my collection are here

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthr...7&page=3&pp=15

Those are the pictures I took of 5 of the 6 running. Here I have attached a picture of the 6th-no, it wasn't too shy for the last photos, I just couldn't get back far enough to fit it in the picture! (CTC15, the one I've had the longest)

John, my CTC-5 has some quirks. I have almost entirely recapped it (missed some mostly in the audio section). Until it warms up it has problems related to contrast/brightness/agc/horizontal. I had been all through the hv/horiz section when first getting it to work but I feel the problem is probably in that general area. When all is right it can do a pretty good job, but maybe a little more washed out than the newer sets. If you look at the photo in the last post the 11 looks a little better than the 5 but in some other pics I did side-by-side the 5 looks better. In that 5-at-once pic it is hard to tell but the 5 really looks good compared to the rest, though I think the camera had much to do with that. Someday I will dig into it again. I am kind of afraid to jinx it as getting it to work was quite an ordeal.

Doug, the model number on the 11 is 212 G 805 MV. It uses a seperate safety glass-I guess a bonded tube was an option then or else was about to be made standard. Mine has a rebuild with a bonded glass.
Thanks for that info. Bryan! Again your sets are great! The color and picture on your CTC15 is fantastic! There is nothing like watching a round tube color set with that rich vivid color! Your CTC5 in your other photo had a very nice picture though you mentioned in had some "quirks"... looks great to me!
Doug
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.