Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM
wesley1959
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wow I loved it. Johnny Depp is the man.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Blue Meanie's Avatar
Blue Meanie Blue Meanie is offline
Scratch 'n' Sniff
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Friggin' Wisconsin
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tentoze


Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Is the RAINBOW thing a reference to BUTT PIRATES?

TOO funny!

Jeff
__________________
Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay.
4 out of 5 cannibals agree: Vegetarians taste better.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Blue Meanie's Avatar
Blue Meanie Blue Meanie is offline
Scratch 'n' Sniff
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Friggin' Wisconsin
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger
Haven't seen a full price movie since Jurrassic Park 3.

You're a better man than I. If I had paid full price to see the dreck that was Jurassic Park 3, I would have had to kill myself afterwards.

Jeff
__________________
Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay.
4 out of 5 cannibals agree: Vegetarians taste better.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-11-2007, 01:22 PM
john_w's Avatar
john_w john_w is offline
Miscreant
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 24
Just went and saw the 3rd installment. Same goofy plot complications and the fight scenes got a bit old. But entertaining at a lighter level, just the same. "Disneywood" at its finest! Of course it also left the door open for a 4th film. (Of course, anything else would have been bad business!)

Has anybody else seen #3? What did you think?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Scorpion8's Avatar
Scorpion8 Scorpion8 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Juneau, AK
Posts: 92
Just saw PofC III and the plot is way too confusing with all the double-crossing and double-siper-secret-double-crossing. The movie just plain wasn't as much fun as the original. And of course, they open the door for a 4th. Way too much computer animation. Yuk.
__________________
Retired USN.
"Good ........ bad ........ I'm the guy with the gun." Ash, Army of Darkness
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 PM
pbda's Avatar
pbda pbda is offline
Audio, ergo sum.
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 6
Agree. Saw #3, wished that I had waited until the DVD was available to rent.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
I dunno. I went with the whole family opening night at 8 PM and had a good time. Folks were dressed up like pirates and my girls were all geeked up for the show.

Like I said earlier, this ain't Kubrick or Bergman, folks, but I find it entertaining and fun. The first though was the best; I can watch that anytime it's on and enjoy it.

Keep to the Code!!
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Combwork's Avatar
Combwork Combwork is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kirriemuir, Scotland
Posts: 82
Modern colour yech

I've just seen POTC111. IMO It's nowhere like as bad as the reviewers made out but what's the deal with colour these days? It's as if film makers have rediscovered sepia tint and forgotten everything that came after. And while I'm at it (why stop a good rant?), why do so many American studios transplant their films to the USA? From when Alfred Hitchcock first cooked `The Birds' right up to that gadawfull remake of `The Wicker Man', it's as if they cannot get their heads round the idea that making a film set in its original location, or even a studiuo lot that looks like the original location, makes sense. I mean, if Disney had made `Lord of the Rings', would they have put Middle Earth in New England, and Mordor just to the north of Detroit? Actually that's a horrible thought. We'd have ended up with Tinkerbell guiding Frodo all the way to the Big Rock Candy Mountain......
__________________
Home brew & Hi-Fi. Quietly decomposing in the Scottish countryside.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork
Iand Mordor just to the north of Detroit?
Actually, downtown Detroit and the industrial near area by the bridge would need to be cleaned up a bit to pass for Mordor..........
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-12-2007, 03:32 PM
john_w's Avatar
john_w john_w is offline
Miscreant
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Englewood, Colorado
Posts: 24
I see where the differences of opinion are coming from. On one hand, this is a Disney pirate movie. So what do people expect? On the other hand, this is a top-billing cast and crew. So apparently, many people expect a lot. I think we got the expected result of this kind of set-up: Somewhere between a typical Disney movie, and something a little more...inspired. I was satisfied with it.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #41  
Old 06-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Dusty Chalk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork
...why do so many American studios transplant their films to the USA?...
Well, that's an easy enough one to answer: familiarity. I mean, if the French were to remake Planet of the Apes, I would fully expect them to replace the Statue of Liberty with the Eiffel Tower. Or if the Brits were to remake It's A Wonderful Life, I would fully expect them to use London Bridge in the opening scene.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.