Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Toasted Almond Toasted Almond is offline
Ballbreaker
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Exit 5 on the Jersey Turnpike
Posts: 78
Chiller Theater was where it was at. Jon Zacherlie was (probably still IS) the real deal. Weird to the gills. Good looking too!

I was generally not afraid of anything I knew I could outrun. When I was scared, smoke came off those sneakers. The Creature? I could crawl faster. Frankenstein? Not a chance of touching this kid. The Mummy? I'd run backwards two steps ahead of him and shoot rubber bands in his face.

I was scared shit of...

The Wolfman
Bela
The Thing (James Arness)
Rodan (The parts Cleve mentioned are burned into my head forever. Goro was the guy who got separated from the rest of the guys and saw the grubs getting eaten.)
Godzilla
Little girls who can spin their heads around 180 degrees. There's something really wrong about that.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-06-2006, 04:42 AM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debassige
Tarantula (1955)
The Thing from Another World (1951)
Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) / Revenge of the Creature (1955) / The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)

for some reason B&W is scarier than color
I like these also, especially "The Thing From Another World", and "The Creature Walks Among Us". Jeff Morrow, who was in "The Creature Walks Among Us", "Kronos", and another one of my favs, "This Island Earth" was one of my favorite B movie actors. Also loved Mara Corday, who was featured in "Tarantula", and "The Black Scorpion". If no one has seen "The Black Scorpion", give it a shot. While it's low budget shows through at times, it still has some eyepopping stop motion effects supervised by Willis O'Brien. Watch for the seen where the guy gets pulled off off a telephone pole by one of the giant scorpians. Scared me to death when I was a kid, and still a potent seen. Also, the underground sequence is good, with a variety of giant creatures. Great sci-fi fun from the fifties!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-06-2006, 04:46 AM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Pardon some of my bad spelling in the above post. It was 5:30AM, and I was getting ready for work!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-06-2006, 07:09 AM
RussinOhio's Avatar
RussinOhio RussinOhio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbarber
I like these also, especially "The Thing From Another World", and "The Creature Walks Among Us". Jeff Morrow, who was in "The Creature Walks Among Us", "Kronos", and another one of my favs, "This Island Earth" was one of my favorite B movie actors. Also loved Mara Corday, who was featured in "Tarantula", and "The Black Scorpion". If no one has seen "The Black Scorpion", give it a shot. While it's low budget shows through at times, it still has some eyepopping stop motion effects supervised by Willis O'Brien. Watch for the seen where the guy gets pulled off off a telephone pole by one of the giant scorpians. Scared me to death when I was a kid, and still a potent seen. Also, the underground sequence is good, with a variety of giant creatures. Great sci-fi fun from the fifties!
Oh yeah! "Black Scorpion"....freaked me out as a little kid. The scene where the guy gets pulled off the telephone pole by the giant scorpion is STILL cool & creepy to watch! I love that old classic. I can never think about a scorpion without thinking of that movie.

Russ
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yeah, one of my favs. Borders, at my local mall, has "The Black Scorpion" reissued on DVD. I own this and many of these other movies discussed here on DVD. Ebay is also a great source for these films. It's awesome having these childhood memories permanently preserved on DVD!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 05-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Jim Eck's Avatar
Jim Eck Jim Eck is offline
Chicks dig the Mule
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springpatch, IL Where the Buffalo and our ex-Governor won't roam
Posts: 58
How about Elvira, The Mistress of the Dark.

We had a local Saturday night horror show that showed a lot of the great old movies, put on by one of the local siding companies, The Acre Creature Feature.

As a kid it wasn't really a monster movie but about the scairiest movie I remember was Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. I hide under a blanket for a lot of that movie.


Jim
__________________
You did what to your what? Man that is going to leave a mark.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-08-2006, 03:20 PM
JerryM's Avatar
JerryM JerryM is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 62
One of greatest titled movies ever--the 1958 classic, I Married a Monster From Outer Space.

I remember seeing a double feature of that with The Blob. Must have been 6 years old, and I was scared out of my wits.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM
One of greatest titled movies ever--the 1958 classic, I Married a Monster From Outer Space.

I remember seeing a double feature of that with The Blob. Must have been 6 years old, and I was scared out of my wits.
Oh yeah, how could I forget that classic! Tom Tryon as an alien, great John P. Fulton disintegrating ray effects and awesome alien creature make-up make "I Married a Monster From Outer Space" a classic '50's sci-fi movie. Speaking of effects by John P. Fulton, has ayone seen another '50's classic that he worked on called "The Colossus Of New York"?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:11 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
I recently rented all of the Hammer Corporation remakes of the classic horror films. They are all really fun to watch. "Horror Of Dracula" (1958) scared me to death when I saw it in 1964 at a drive-in. It all came back to me when I saw the DVD's, which, by the way, looked fantastic, except for the first theatrical reel of Horror of Dracula. From reel 2 on, it was sharp as a tack!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Grainger49's Avatar
Grainger49 Grainger49 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 43
Does Forbidden Planet count?????
__________________
"Remember, you are the only one who needs to like the sound of your system."

Grainger Morrison

Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #41  
Old 05-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
I remember the 1st horror flick I saw was some turkey-"The Evil of Frankenstein"- or something. Believe it was 1964, I would have been 7. Don't remember being scared-of course, my mommy & my daddy were on either sides of me...no bad ol' monster would have DARED tried to get me !!! <grin>
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainger49
Does Forbidden Planet count?????
You bet! Academy award nominated for "Best Special Effects" in 1956 and lost out to "The Ten Commandments". Great sci-fi! I love the scene where the ship creates it's own eclipse with Altair 4 at the beginning of the movie. Also love the tour of the technical wonders left by the long gone Krell.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Jim Eck's Avatar
Jim Eck Jim Eck is offline
Chicks dig the Mule
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Springpatch, IL Where the Buffalo and our ex-Governor won't roam
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbarber
You bet! Academy award nominated for "Best Special Effects" in 1956 and lost out to "The Ten Commandments". Great sci-fi! I love the scene where the ship creates it's own eclipse with Altair 4 at the beginning of the movie. Also love the tour of the technical wonders left by the long gone Krell.
Leslie Neilsen, Robbie the Robot, James Drury and Anne Francis (Hottie) all went on to further their careers, great movie!

Jim
__________________
You did what to your what? Man that is going to leave a mark.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Eck
Leslie Neilsen, Robbie the Robot, James Drury and Anne Francis (Hottie) all went on to further their careers, great movie!

Jim
Yeah Jim. Wasn't Anne Francis gorgeous? Love the outfit she wore in that movie.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Grainger49's Avatar
Grainger49 Grainger49 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Eck
Leslie Neilsen, Robbie the Robot, James Drury and Anne Francis (Hottie) all went on to further their careers, great movie!
What, no mention of Walter Pidgeon and Earl Holoman (Police Woman)?

Holoman is the cook!

Yeah, I loved that movie. I saw it when it was first out when I was a kid. Warped me for life!
__________________
"Remember, you are the only one who needs to like the sound of your system."

Grainger Morrison

Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.