Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 AM
electronjohn's Avatar
electronjohn electronjohn is offline
I like....big sparks!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 652
That's not an expedition...that's an EXCAVATION! Well done!!!!
__________________

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2016, 12:02 PM
kf4rca kf4rca is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 962
Have you heard of Clear Shell?

Its made by Zep and sold at Home Depot. Its a mold and fungus inhibitor. It does not remove the stain color like bleach does. Another substance I've heard is hydrogen peroxide but I haven't tried it.
So far the Clear Shell has worked well on the paneling in my basement.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,482
During the weekend I finally gave all the sets from there the full clean they needed to come inside....That entailed opening all the sets removing chassis and CRT shields hosing each piece down thoroughly letting it all dry in the sun, and reassembling most of the sets. All the TVs had good CRTs except 2.
The Zenith 15Y6C15 had the plastic CRT base destroyed, and initially one of the pins knocked out, but after testing and some after dark blind fumbling about half have been knocked off. Most broke deep in the glass so I'm thinking of crunching that 15NP22 rather than trying to kludge a new base (which I think is not possible with the state it is in)...I have a better spare anyway. I'm debating whether to keep the 15Y6C15 for parts or restore it...One of the convergence board coil forms is broken and the tuner out jack ripped off the tuner...It is also missing every conceivable cover: bottom, back, pencil box, HV, tuner cover, etc...I suppose I could make the chassis work and use it to test my test jig...Maybe make a ugly shock hazard runner/beater out of it.
DSCN2152 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
The other problem CRT is in the 'Truetone' badged NEC...That one is rather weak at it's rated 6.3V heater voltage but comes up reasonably into the green at 8.4V...It is missing the back, knobs, tubes, and the tuner has several random hanging wires. I don't know if I should scrap it or restore it, what say you?
DSCN2150 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr

The Hitatchi also feigned a bad CRT till it woke up from dormancy on the second test. DSCN2147 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr

I now better know the score on the two roundys with snapped off leads...I was able to reattach leads successfully to stubs on both tubes....One had a glass evacuation nipple the other had a metal evacuation nipple...Until I noticed the one had a metal nipple (that caused a mental reversal) I held out the most hope for it. The tube with the metal nipple is VERY gassy (there was blue glow the size of my thumb in it and the tester exhibited the familiar 'neon bulb action'), and is definitely not going to be usable...I'm debating crunching it up to save space...If anyone wants a free DUD roundy CRT now is the time to ask for it.
Now I'm sure your wondering about the other roundy CRT that was previously un-testable....That one tests VERY strong on my home made universal CRT adapter...All I have to do is install the new bakelite base I got at the ETF and it should be ready to install in a set...I plan to put that one in my 29JC20 to replace the flaky one currently in that set.

The moto got cataracted just before the ETF. It's original tinted glass was destroyed in the process sadly...I was able to harvest a tinted glass for it off of a Zenith 25XP22 I got at the ETF, and that set is currently waiting reassembly and recap work in the basement.
DSCN2146 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
The necked Zenith now has a new CRT in it, and is waiting for repairs. I found the front half of the electron gun inside the CRT. The necking must have been quite violent...Not only did it snap the neck and front half of the gun it also launched the front half of the gun with enough force to put a hole in the shadow mask...I took pictures before I crunched the necked CRT.

I'm beginning to wish I had sold tim the CTC-22 cheaply...That chassis is a COLOSSAL pain to extract from the cabinet...all the stinkin nuts that bolt the control panel/chassis to the face are VERY hard to get at with the chassis in, yet help hold the chassis in (an annoying catch-22). After cleaning that set I purposefully left it apart, and plan to keep it apart till I've got it working properly....I don't want to have to pull the chassis again.

The Panasonic is missing it's damper...I'm going to have to get a sam's for it since the top cap lead for that wacky damper was not attached anywhere.

Lastly the Zenith console...I was able to get most of the mold and tobacco odor out of the wood, but it still smells a bit. I swapped it's CRT into the metal set since it was better than my 2 other compatible loose spare CRTs. This set uses almost the exact same chassis as the table set, and I like the table set better. Would anyone be interested in purchasing that console (it is missing the back, bottom, HV cage cover, 3 tubes and the VHF fine tune knob), or should I dump the cabinet and keep the rest? I'd give it away with a lousy CRT, or take $65 to up-grade it to a good CRT.

DSCN2148 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-22-2016, 12:28 PM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
I worked on a few CTC22's, a good effort by RCA compared to others. As the low-focus 13-14" color sets of the late 60's go, only that Zenith under it made a picture just as good.

The Sears-Toshibas-Sanyos and other budget small screens seemed like you could only get them to look so good, no matter how much you fussed with tube subbing and set-up adjustments, yet the owners claimed it "looked as good as before" after you fixed the original issue.
__________________
"When resistors increase in value, they're worthless"
-Dave G
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-23-2016, 09:56 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I worked on a few CTC22's, a good effort by RCA compared to others. As the low-focus 13-14" color sets of the late 60's go, only that Zenith under it made a picture just as good.

The Sears-Toshibas-Sanyos and other budget small screens seemed like you could only get them to look so good, no matter how much you fussed with tube subbing and set-up adjustments, yet the owners claimed it "looked as good as before" after you fixed the original issue.
The RCA CTC22, I had 1968 to 1970, had an excellent, even when I sold it. It had a few hours on it, but nothing like the average. I replaced 5, 5GH8's in it before sold.
When I bought, for resale, used CTC22's, they never seemed to have the picture mine had.
I have a CTC51K, which is a hybrid that uses, essentially the same CRT, but designated 14V, 1974 model. That picture is OK, but just doesn't sparkle.
I glad they went to high focus voltage CRT's, even in the small sets. Unless, there's a fault in the focus circuit or the CRT is sick, good focus can always be achieved. Even on the GE PortaColors with HV focus.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,482
I got the back off the RCA, the CRT is not very healthy in the green department unless heater voltage is raised, otherwise it is strong. I have a strong spare CRT I'd throw in for another $50.
If no one chimes in before noon central time that they definitely want to buy the TV or the CRT at the ETF then, I'll leave them at home...

__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 09-22-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-23-2016, 12:48 AM
centralradio centralradio is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,097


I feel sorry about that bottom set .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2016, 01:53 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post


I feel sorry about that bottom set .
Did Elvis once own it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2016, 04:42 PM
old_coot88 old_coot88 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,653
Nah. Here's how he done it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTn2kSKA0b8
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2016, 10:33 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Nah. Here's how he done it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTn2kSKA0b8
As I remember it, he was the only one home at the time.
There was pictures showing the set with only a bullet hole in the CRT face. The set looked like a CTC31 with a resin-bond CRT, so it didn't shatter like that.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 10-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Did Elvis once own it?
The top or bottom one ?

The bottom as I stated earlier was an OLD necking that cleanly cleaved the back of the neck and the back half of the electron gun off rapidly....The cleaved off front of the electron gun was hurled with tremendous force at the shadow mask by the rush of air into the tube (I know this from the hole in the shadow mask and the crumpling of the getther mounting strap from the impact). it is a shame that black matrix CC CRT has it's phosphor and mask destroyed by the necking...If it had not then it would have been a prime rebuild candidate. That Zenith now has a good CRT in it...I hope someone will sell me a back for that set as I'd like some insurance against another necking...

The moto on top I'm part way on the cabinet reassemble. I'm hoping to make some progress tonight as I want to recap the chassis and get it working soon.

The problem with the Elvis bang-matic that kept it from catching on (aside from how hard it was on CRTs) was that if only had an off function.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-16-2016, 10:23 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Picking up the rest of the sets and parts.

Tom! Are you planning on picking up the rest of the sets, etc?
As you said, the place had to be cleaned out by the end of October.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-23-2016, 06:42 AM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,482
Aside from missing the back it should be fine. I have a spare (what I believe to be) Zenith CC black matrix CRT, that tests good, to install in it.

I really wanted it till I saw it was necked (likely before I was born)...Waffled a minute, then remembered I had 2 spare CRTs for it from there, and decided to take it anyway.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,109
What's the Panasonic model number? I can look through my Sams.
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
What's the Panasonic model number? I can look through my Sams.
It is CT-397 IIRC (the set is at home and I am at work). That would be nice of you.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.