![]() |
|
#31
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
The radio and transformer section looks a bit thrown together, and would not have been part of the original portable TV design. Last edited by maxhifi; 12-08-2011 at 10:54 PM. |
|
#32
|
||||
|
||||
|
I've had luck measuring burned resistors, and finding that they hadn't drifted that far off value. Maybe you'll be in luck....
|
|
#33
|
|||
|
|||
|
maybe 1960 ?
|
|
#34
|
||||
|
||||
|
I received a partial translation of the label inside the cabinet. Since the label is right next to the clock, it might just apply to it.
"I can't make out the bottom line (aside from Tokyo and some characters that suggest the rest is a company name), but the first two lines read: |
|
#35
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
| Audiokarma |
|
#36
|
||||
|
||||
|
Another one just showed up on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1960...-/130640907610
Lots of good reference photos
|
|
#37
|
||||
|
||||
|
I was excited until I saw the price - $195 plus $129 shipping to canada! Phew, that's a lot of money for this thing, especially considering it needs $50 of parts, and there's no gaurantee it'll survive shipping. I don't see why shipping is so expensive, it's only 30 lbs.
|
|
#38
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Where in the item description is it mentioned that the TV needs $50 worth of parts before it will work? It looks as if it's working quite well as it is, except for a vertical sweep problem (the seller did mention trouble with the vertical sweep, which probably could be compensated for by a slight adjustment of the vertical size control on the back of the set). Unless there is something else wrong with the TV, such as broken, shorted or out-of-tolerance parts, I can't see why this would need anything even close to $50 worth of replacement components. If the flyback or some other major component were defective or getting there, yes, I could see it, but since the TV's picture looks almost normal, again, a simple adjustment of the vertical size control could very well solve the sweep problem.Speaking of tubes, I doubt very much that this TV is all solid-state as the seller claims. I could swear I saw at least one octal tube socket on a PC board in one of the rear-chassis views. Maybe the radio is all-SS, but the television looks to have at least one tube (maybe the HV rectifier?) besides the CRT. Shipping charges may be so high because this TV will have to go through customs and who knows what else on its way to Canada from the US.
__________________
Jeff, WB8NHV Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002 Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten. Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-04-2012 at 07:09 PM. |
|
#39
|
||||
|
||||
|
It's full of those grey japanese capacitors which have a reputation for leakage. I would not feel comfortable using it regularly with those plus original electrolytics. If it has a few bad tubes, 50 bucks will come up very fast.
Customs is paid on the receivng end, not the sending end - and would be in addition to whatever I paid the seller. There is a profit margin added to that shipping quote which may be considerable. It is a tube chassis, the tubes all face in due to the fact it's a portable chassis repurposed to fit the cabinet. Actually despite my feeling that it's priced high, I'm seriously considering it. It's only money after all, and I haven't got a new (old) TV this year I may be waiting a while before this one comes up again too. There's something about this set that appeals to me - maybe because it's a bit of an oddball.
Last edited by maxhifi; 02-04-2012 at 08:27 PM. |
|
#40
|
||||
|
||||
|
When you look at it like THAT-Go For It !
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
| Audiokarma |
|
#41
|
||||
|
||||
|
Yeah, go for it! Then we can compare notes
![]() BTW the shipping shows up as $49 to Chicago. |
|
#42
|
||||
|
||||
|
I'm first bidder, and would rather have found one for $50, but I want it. I don't plan to get in a bidding war, though. Don't need it that badly. Just for the record, I saw it & bid before visiting VK this morning.
Charles
__________________
Collecting & restoring TVs in Los Angeles since age 10 |
|
#43
|
||||
|
||||
|
I don't want it bad enough for a bidding war either the price is rather high, and it does not need to go higher - taking shipping into consideration it's a much better deal for you than for me, and you're probably better equipped to get it into shape. I also have two TVs which are not restored sitting in my basement, so practically speaking I *need* it like a hole in the head.
|
|
#44
|
||||
|
||||
|
The auction ended. Did anyone here get it ?
|
|
#45
|
|||
|
|||
|
Your TV seems to be a Egawadenki Kenkyusho 8-HL rebuild.
My set was sold as a Rocket television. But I think Egawadenki Kenkyusho made several private label TV sets. So why don't put in a radio also? http://www.gloeidraad.nl/radioforum/index.php?id=120200 Regards, Roland Last edited by Roland; 05-01-2012 at 05:21 PM. |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|