Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
cornelius
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
theres a service switch on the signal powerboard, which when flicked puts a line across the screen, I don't see an align button on the front panel, I did notice a black unlabled button at the top of the front panel, but this seems to just kill the power.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-19-2005, 11:47 AM
rcaman's Avatar
rcaman rcaman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: mississippi
Posts: 753
sorry forgot to tell you. when you open the door to the controls there is a long black cover that is covering the finetuning controls and the customer convergence controls. your switch is located there. i just assumed you had already adjusted those. steve
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-19-2005, 11:51 AM
rcaman's Avatar
rcaman rcaman is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: mississippi
Posts: 753
forgot to tell you that set was only made 2 years. the next model was pgr100 it had a catv switch and slightly different lenses on it. pioneer used a version of this set . the next year went to rear projection with the same chassis but with electronic tuning. heavy as hell . god luck steve
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-19-2005, 12:40 PM
cornelius
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
RCAMAN, you just made my day, I had no idea those other controls existed under there. thank you
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-01-2005, 07:03 PM
peter_m
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hello Everyone

Just fired up my parents' 1981 pfr100 and it runs better then I thaught. The source I am using is a DVD trought the video RCA jack. Just finished to adjusting it and still have two problems:

1 - picture has a shadow that leans to the left and jitters (looks like one of the two interlaced frames is ok but the second one just jitters to the left). When it warms up, the picture gradualy re aligns in an upward motion. Tends to stay a litle jiterry at the very top edge but not very noticable. How can I find the source and fix it? Is this going to get worst?

2 - Picture is off center by about 1 to 1.5 inches and the left portion of the image is out of frame. It has been like that from day one, remember noticing it many years ago and getting greef for for finding a defect on a new TV. Where can I adjust for it? it's not a mirror or screen problem, everything is well in line.

Allready tried the knobs on the large convergence board. Cant center image. Any one know what the following pots do? I've found 2 on the conv board labeled "keystone balance" and "voltage adj". Two more on the board at the back of each gun, and found a few more very hard to reach on either side of the board located under the front control panel, under the controls that have a secret cover on them Anyone knows what they can do... please jump in!

Thanx,

Peter M

Last edited by peter_m; 08-01-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 01-19-2006, 03:00 PM
angrymeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I have a 1984 sear front projection unit I just picked up. I will post the model number hwne I get home along with a picture. My question on this was it has the aluminum looking screen the picture is pretty ok however It is a little hot whites are super bright and everything almsot looks a little fuzzy brite. Anyone have any advice on how to clean up the image a little bit?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-20-2006, 12:20 AM
kx250rider's Avatar
kx250rider kx250rider is offline
REAL TVs have TUBES!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Dallas
Posts: 3,239
Those Do work forever! I know someone who has one (a similar mirror-flopdoor or Front Projection PGR-100WR), and it's only ever needed a vertical module. These are rebadged Hitachis. They have two solder-in modules; power regulator and vertical output. Both have ceramic boards with surface-mount components (an early attempt!!!). Never seen one with bad CRTs, but then again I haven't seen one of those sets lately.

Charles
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 AM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
The big problem with those was bad soldering on the ceramic modules. I had a rear projection set given to me probably 15 years ago with no vertical. I resoldered the module and it was still going last time I hear about 3 years ago. The original owner had constant vertical problems with it that no one was ever able to fix (the vertical module was replaced at least once).
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-21-2006, 12:51 AM
kx250rider's Avatar
kx250rider kx250rider is offline
REAL TVs have TUBES!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles & Dallas
Posts: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_m
Just fired up my parents' 1981 pfr100 and it runs better then I thaught. The source I am using is a DVD trought the video RCA jack. Just finished to adjusting it and still have two problems:

1 - picture has a shadow that leans to the left and jitters (looks like one of the two interlaced frames is ok but the second one just jitters to the left). When it warms up, the picture gradualy re aligns in an upward motion. Tends to stay a litle jiterry at the very top edge but not very noticable. How can I find the source and fix it? Is this going to get worst?

2 - Picture is off center by about 1 to 1.5 inches and the left portion of the image is out of frame. It has been like that from day one, remember noticing it many years ago and getting greef for for finding a defect on a new TV. Where can I adjust for it? it's not a mirror or screen problem, everything is well in line.

Allready tried the knobs on the large convergence board. Cant center image. Any one know what the following pots do? I've found 2 on the conv board labeled "keystone balance" and "voltage adj". Two more on the board at the back of each gun, and found a few more very hard to reach on either side of the board located under the front control panel, under the controls that have a secret cover on them Anyone knows what they can do... please jump in!

Thanx,

Peter M
EASY ONE if the image is good on the CRT faces, but out of center on the screen! Loosen the locknuts at each gas strut (rods that hold the mirror door open), and screw the larger barrel of each strut in or out to center the projected picture. Don't forget to re-snug the locknuts or your adjustments will be out again shortly

Charles
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 PM
peter_m
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Thanx Kaye,
The image looks pretty centered on the CRT... Ouch that was bright! I tried adjusting the mirror struts as you described but the mirror assembly is too stiff. It wont warp enough to allow the image to center. Any other suggestions?

** Update: I've hoocked up my laptop ang got a nice frame on the screen. Turns out taht even on the CRTs the image is missing on the left side and obviously off center. Any other suggestions?

Andy: Can you give me a disciption of the boards that generaly need resoldering? I'd love to get rid of that jitter during warm-up. According to a chart inside the cover I have the following to choose from:
-remo-con pwb
-selector pwb
-signal pwb
-control /if pwb
-power def pwb
-convergence pwb

Also does anyone know how to adjust alll those knobs inside the TV? Any image service procedure floating out there? Does anyone know what Hitachi model is the equivalent... could be a source for service manuals.

Peter

Last edited by peter_m; 02-27-2006 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.