Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
prisoners's Avatar
prisoners prisoners is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Time View Post
The Simple Jack thing was a send up of Forrest Gump. The whole movie was poking fun at almost everything. There was something offensive for everyone. I wouldn't let my kids see it. The humor is too raw and graphic. But I can appreciate it as an adult.

I was in the US Navy, so very little offends me. Hard to disgust a Sailor.
Former Squid here too. At this point nothing offends me!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Out Of Time's Avatar
Out Of Time Out Of Time is offline
Magic Smoke Sniffer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Sweet Spot
Posts: 5
^ Well... maybe sometimes Jarheads do... but they're Jarheads.... 'Nuff Said!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-02-2009, 05:11 PM
caddisgeek's Avatar
caddisgeek caddisgeek is offline
sorry.......what?
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southwest Vic, Australia
Posts: 59
Well I last night I finally got around to watching this, (on Grumpy's recommendation) I haven't laughed so hard at a move for a very long time, but I understand it probably not for everyone (people without a sense of humor may struggle with it)


Quote:
Originally Posted by gelmhirst View Post
I hear the word 'retard' used constantly these days, especially in movies. My guess is the script writers don't live with, work with or have special needs children themselves.
My wife works with people with intellectual disabilities, and she found Topic Thunder and the Simple Jack bit very funny also. The whole bit was not using the word retard to poke fun at people with ID's, but actually was satirizing the Hollywood portrayal of those with ID's. "You cant go the full retard, because the audience wont connect with you"

To exclude any portion of society from humor is discrimination
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
ccheath's Avatar
ccheath ccheath is offline
Got an Idea!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA.
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisgeek View Post
......but I understand it probably not for everyone (people without a sense of humor may struggle with it)
Is that an insult??
__________________
CONCEPT 3.5, 4.5, FISHER 201, 400, 500c, HARMAN KARDON 730, 3480, KENWOOD KR-6050, 9400, MARANTZ 2015, 2235B, PIONEER TX-606, SA-7700, SX-434, 737, 780, 980, 1000TW, 1010, 1250, REALISTIC STA-870, SANSUI 5000A, G-7000, 5900Z, SHERWOOD S-6020 CP, S-6040 CP, YAMAHA CR-1020
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:31 PM
caddisgeek's Avatar
caddisgeek caddisgeek is offline
sorry.......what?
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southwest Vic, Australia
Posts: 59
Hard to tell, I have the IQ of a sheet of paper
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 01-02-2009, 11:38 PM
High_Current High_Current is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisgeek View Post
Hard to tell, I have the IQ of a sheet of paper
pulp fiction
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 AM
thilaseen's Avatar
thilaseen thilaseen is offline
thilaseen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South of Hobart, Tasmania
Posts: 6
Well you have to consider that I'm ALMOST 63 and that's my only excuse for what follows.
I confused Tropic Thunder with another POS film that my kids were watching with a group of their mates. Don't get me wrong...I still think it is a crap film, aside from the fact that Tom Cruise is in it, but not in the same category as....wait for it .... "Harold and Kumar.. Escape from Guantanamo Bay"

Grumpy, why don't you rent this one out and give us your impressions?
On 2nd thought, better not.

I'm embarrassed now. Goodnight.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-03-2009, 07:09 AM
grumpy's Avatar
grumpy grumpy is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 380
I like harold and kumar and find them to be pretty funny.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 AM
gyusher's Avatar
gyusher gyusher is offline
-don't go round hungry-
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 56
Personally I'm not a fan of any actor in this movie with the exception of Robert Downey jr who I am hot and cold over.

Kinda reminds me of the 'Ace Ventura' type of movies or the 'Jerry Lewis's' of the world that are so bad I'm embarrassed to watch them. I get embarrassed for the actors playing that crazy shit. . .

I rented the movie mostly because it was on BD and in HD. . . As much as I hate these guys I did laugh out loud between throwing up in my mouth and passing gas. . .

. . . I will say that it was the funniest movie of its genre that I have seen but still. . . just saying. . .
__________________
Barrymore's Conclusion. The thing that takes up the least amount of time and causes the most amount of trouble is sex .
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:22 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I saw it in a theatre with a buddy of mine.We havent laughed that hard in a long time.I think we laughed the hardest at the "previews" at the beginning.Very wicked satire.IQ of fresh lint here.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #41  
Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 AM
240sx4u's Avatar
240sx4u 240sx4u is offline
Dynaco convert
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 46
That movie sucked, very disappointing.
__________________
All my gear won't fit in a 275 character sig.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-16-2009, 09:29 PM
imready's Avatar
imready imready is offline
it's good to be the king!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: casper,wy
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Never even for a second been a stiller fan. Why in the world I even brought this video home is still beyond me. It was made for people who are

A. Either tripping some crappy acid and are easily amused or

B. Have the IQ of a piece of paper.

Tom cruise sucks ( never expected much from him )
Stiller, I have seen better acting at my kids grade school pageants.

The umpteen other "stars" in this movie made it to make money. Definitely not to entertain.

Never before have I walked in the rental store and demanded my money back. That was until I watched this steaming hunk of crap of a movie.

Grumpy
Don't hold back Grumpy, tell us how you really feel!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 PM
markc2's Avatar
markc2 markc2 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: a Yankee in TX
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DualsNotEnough View Post
I saw it in a theatre with a buddy of mine.We havent laughed that hard in a long time.I think we laughed the hardest at the "previews" at the beginning.Very wicked satire.IQ of fresh lint here.
Jimmy
probably one of the most original openings from a movie that I have seen in a while. Starts running as soon as it starts.

Mark
__________________


Quad ESL-63 USA Monitors * Nordost SPM * MC275mkV * Magnan Vi xlr * C220 * Magnan Vi * 834P Deluxe * LP12/ Ittok VII & Lyra Skala *
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-03-2009, 01:51 PM
LCruiser122 LCruiser122 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
I LOVED it! Granted, it is what it is.... but Robert Downey Jr. shoud get an OSCAR !!!!!!

Seriously tho, As stupid as the movie may be, I was VERY entertained.

PS.... I hated the Zohan. I think its the ONLY Sandler movie I didn't like. (other than the one where he's mad all the time)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM
jgmacv's Avatar
jgmacv jgmacv is offline
Nice Hat My Brotha!
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sullivan ('bout 25 miles south of Terre Haute), Indiana
Posts: 15
Can you get that "Booty Sweat" drink at Wal-Mart?
__________________
PIONEER-Receivers:SX-D7000, SX-D5000, SX-3900, SX-3800, SX-580, SX-6 Amplifiers: Pioneer A-8, SA-1050, SA-8800
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.