Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 AM
dew042's Avatar
dew042 dew042 is offline
Magically delicious
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Next door.
Posts: 48
Its very well done, although its a real marathon. Its good that the local PBS station replays it overnight so I can record it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but, in general, war related, and specifically WW2 related programs really choke me up. I can only imagine.

dew.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Fisherdude's Avatar
Fisherdude Fisherdude is offline
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
Ken Burns did make one glaring mistake when he referred to the Springfield rifle (when he said a rifle designed in 1903 it was the Springfield rifle model 03-A3 by the time WWI rolled around) as a Single Shot Bolt action. It is in fact a bolt action rifle which cocks on close but is not a single shot but is a repeater with an internal 5 rd. Magazine feed by a stripper clip allowing a very quick reload in trained hands.
I caught that as well, but I assumed he was talking about two different rifles. Although I'm not familiar at all with any single shot rifle that was in use at that time. The Krag preceded the 03 Springfield, but that was a repeater as well.
__________________
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Mark W.'s Avatar
Mark W. Mark W. is offline
Instantly addicted
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdude View Post
I caught that as well, but I assumed he was talking about two different rifles. Although I'm not familiar at all with any single shot rifle that was in use at that time. The Krag preceded the 03 Springfield, but that was a repeater as well.
To the best of my knowledge the first rifle going backwards that was a Single shot would have been one of the Sharps used between the Civil war and the Spanish American War. So his statement is incorrect.

And his reference to being designed in 1903 has to refer to the Springfield which along with the 1917 Enfield were our two std. issue combat rifles during WW I and the interm years. I currently own a 1917 and have owned a beautiful O3-A3 made in 1942.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Squidward's Avatar
Squidward Squidward is offline
Registered Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bikini Bottom (Ann Arbor, MI)
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha B-2 View Post
The latinos who fought in WWII certainly don't agree with you. They are most unhappy about their treatment (or lack thereof) in the documentary.
Last night's segment had a good chunk of it devoted to latinos who fought, including some very moving interviews with at least two latino vetrans. They talked about their experiences in the war, and what it meant to be a latino in the military at that time, and of their culture and patriotism. Latinos were unhappy with the movie's first draft, but Mr. Burns went to great lengths to address their concerns. So far, I think Ken Burns has handled a lot of racial issues around the war (American internment of Japanese citizens, latinos in the armed services, blacks in the armed services, etc.) great! It would be a shame to slander such a sweeping masterwork without a careful examination of the final product, and it's not even half revealed yet.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
My wife surprised me by deciding to watch it with me. I know she has learned quite a bit from it so far. Well, I've learned more than a little myself. I think the most interesting thing so far was listening to the belly gunner tell his stories. He was really getting into it...I wonder how much of that he had told his family?
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM
piece-it pete's Avatar
piece-it pete piece-it pete is offline
What, me worry?
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 29
I'm waiting 'cause I couldn't watch the first one, but all taped so I will be!

If anyone has their interest peaked enough I would highly recommend "The Longest Day", Cornelius Ryan, the book, not the movie, a very human perspective of D-Day and a fairly light read that gives great insight. For the more serious "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" is excellent but will disgust you.

Pete
__________________
"If only these walls could talk. Then people would pay to see my amazing talking walls."

Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Fisherdude's Avatar
Fisherdude Fisherdude is offline
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lewiston, ID
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
To the best of my knowledge the first rifle going backwards that was a Single shot would have been one of the Sharps used between the Civil war and the Spanish American War. So his statement is incorrect.

And his reference to being designed in 1903 has to refer to the Springfield which along with the 1917 Enfield were our two std. issue combat rifles during WW I and the interm years. I currently own a 1917 and have owned a beautiful O3-A3 made in 1942.
The U.S. Springfield Model 1884 in .45-70 was probably the last military single-shot. Same as the carbines used by the 7th Cavalry, but later issue. This was the predominant rifle through the Spanish-American war, when it began to be replaced by the .30-40 Krag Jorgenson. Then came the 03-A3, and then the 1917 Enfield.

My grandfather got my 03-A3 wrapped in wax paper and in the original Cosmoline through the old Civilian Marksmanship program, probably in the '50's. Still probably has less than 100 rounds through it!
__________________
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Mark W.'s Avatar
Mark W. Mark W. is offline
Instantly addicted
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 63
A comment was made about the color footage. Kodachrome was on the marked in 1936 as was an Agfa film (though as of 1939 that would have only been available to the Germans) The military did use a LOT of the Kodachrome since color film was advantageous when trying to detect camouflage. There are any number of books about WW II all in color I have one that centers around the 8th Air Force. the film having been sent from a drug store in NY to the owners son or son inlaw with which he took all the photo's.

So color was used during the war it's just not seen as much as B&W. One reason I think is that for many things color is so much more graphic and real then B&W. A dead bloated body in B&W is one thing it's whole other cup of tea in full Kodachrome color!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.