Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkboy
but SM, the 70s gave us the New York Dolls, the Sex Pistols, Ziggy Stardust, the Ramones, Tangerine Dream (started in sixties, but best stuff in seventies); Taxi Driver, Vanishing Point, Star Wars; Gravity's Rainbow, uh too much else to list.
From Postwar flyboys in the late 40's on military cast-off Harleys, Beat Writers and train-hopping, through the 50's, hot-rodded parent's T buckets, simulacra and space-age modicum of a safety net while the fear of bombs and communism ran the kids wild, through the 60's, psychedelics, the coming of age for civil, women's and human rights in general, the musclecars, the avant films, men on the moon, the hippie movement and the dark days of the manson family and the helter-skelter shadow that fell, to the blaxploitation films, urban music, dangerous theme parks, and the birth of punk rock, new wave and hip-hop, we've had a wild ride.

I grew up in the 80's as an ignorant teen, and in the 90's finally hit the road, hit the big citys and small towns, and learned a hell of a lot. The 90s, and my 20s, were a great time.

But I've always been a fan of the late 40s through the early 80's.

As a child coming of age in the early 80's, the fear of AIDs, nuclear war with the USSR, the slow fearful creep of serial killers seeping into the threads of society, and then the 90's- admittedly decadent, but the poster childeren are pierced and tattooed disenfranchised youth called the generation X, Slackers, ect, force-fed re-packaged historical events like "Woodstock II", products like "New Coke" and "Pepsi Clear", and the like.

It's easy for one to romanticize a period they didn't grow up in, but give me a 1977 black Trans Am- or even better- a 1970 Ford Van with a pair of heart-shaped windows, 3" shag rug, and some Keystones, Jefferson Airplane on El-Kassette, a drive-in, a lady in a tube top and hotpants, and call it a day.

__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
I had recorded earlier in the week "The Sound of Music"- I watched it last night. Of course, I've seen it-more or less several times thruout my life, but last nite, I kept going back to thinking about "The Grindhouse" while I was watching it. Why can't they make movies like "Music" anymore ? I haven't seen "Grindhouse" yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion it & "Music" couldn't be more different. "Music" might be a little corny & juvenile, but I felt good after it was over-felt happy for the characters, the good guys triumphed, etc. "Grindhouse" would seem to be nothing but pure violence for violence's sake. Or am I just a hopeless, provincial fuddy-duddy who's completely out of it ?
Sandy, I read you loud and clear here.

I guess it's just what you feel like catching that night.

You know, kinda like dinner. Sometimes you want a burger and fries, other times prime rib and scalloped potatoes.

For what it's worth, I love The Secret of N.I.H.M, The Reccuers, Chitty Chitty Bang! Bang! and (the original) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, two of my personal favorite films, alongside A Clockwork Orange, Natural Born Killers, Sin City and Girl on a Motorcycle.

All classic films, all good stuff- just different flavours.
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
shrinkboy's Avatar
shrinkboy shrinkboy is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oak Cliff, Texas, just across the Trinity River from Big D
Posts: 135
the films are horrible in the same way a double cheeseburger with everything, a side order of fries and chocolate milkshake are 'horrible'....they are horrible if you don't 'get it', and great if you do. they break every known rule of filmmaking. and they do it great.
__________________
Technics SL1700/SL1400
Marantz CDR700/Entech205.3
Onkyo TA-RW 311
TEAC x2000r/Realistic TR3000
DBX CX-2/Phase Linear 400 Mk.II
Acoustic Research AR3a
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-09-2007, 04:33 PM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
I grew up in the 70's,and you can keep most 70's culture.I loved and love punk,and a lot of the 70's new cinema,but most mainstream music,films and television just plain sucked.You went to the drive-in not because you were an afficianado of cheesy low budget genre flicks,but because you could bring your own entertainment,in a baggie,or in a beer cooler,and all the munchies to go with them.Among other activities,depending on the company and the size of the vehicle.
If you really wanted to see a good kung fu flick or blaxploitation,or horror film,then you had to go to the grindhouses in the more questionable parts of town,because you couldnt see or hear for shit at the drive in.If I saw something at the drive in I ended up liking,Id trundle on down to the old theatres on Hollywood Blvd,or in Chinatown.
The "so bad its good" aesethic didnt really kick in until critics like Joe Bob Briggs brought it to our attention in the early 80's.I know that aesethic really got its start with Sarris and the auteur theory in the 50's,mainly used to justify their love for the old Hollywood programmers of the 30's and 40's,but the drive in aesthetic was much more kitchsy,less serious.
I cant wait to see Grindhouse,but I dont miss those theatres.they always smelled like piss,and the people could be kinda scary.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-09-2007, 04:53 PM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DualsNotEnough
...I loved and love punk,and a lot of the 70's new cinema,but most mainstream music,films and television just plain sucked.
Funny how the movement of great films of the late 60's and very early 70's never fully set hold- many blame the birth of the "blockbuster", like Jaws, Star Wars, ect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DualsNotEnough
I grew up in the 70's,and you can keep most 70's culture...
Lots of 70's stuff outright stinks (think AMC Pacers, Hush Puppie shoes, ect...).

But, other things? Delish!

Send me all your ringer Tees, Zap! comics, Creepy & Eerie mags, Reggie Bars, Converse All-Stars, Chevy Novas and Dodge Darts- thanky!!!
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #36  
Old 04-10-2007, 02:00 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelihaus
Funny how the movement of great films of the late 60's and very early 70's never fully set hold- many blame the birth of the "blockbuster", like Jaws, Star Wars, ect...



Lots of 70's stuff outright stinks (think AMC Pacers, Hush Puppie shoes, ect...).

But, other things? Delish!

Send me all your ringer Tees, Zap! comics, Creepy & Eerie mags, Reggie Bars, Converse All-Stars, Chevy Novas and Dodge Darts- thanky!!!
Ya see,you found all the cool stuff from the 70's.
You can keep Donnie and Marie,Black Oak Arkansas,Powder Blue anything(including leasure suits),Volares,Wallabees(ugly earth type shoes),Denim overalls,Debby Boone,Fantasy Island,Match Game,any diet foods created in the 70's.
I wouldnt mind seeing lotsa tube tops and halter tops again,though.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-10-2007, 02:01 AM
2DualsNotEnough's Avatar
2DualsNotEnough 2DualsNotEnough is offline
The Goodbye Look
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Phoenix,AZ
Posts: 308
2000 useless posts.
Jimmy
__________________
Current System:Cambridge Audio 640 Azur v2/NAD pp-2/,Oppo DV-970HD dvd/cd/,Luxman T-12 Tuner,Technics SL-1200 Mk5/Grado Red,ADS L810.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Noob ! <grin>
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Filmboydoug's Avatar
Filmboydoug Filmboydoug is offline
Nikko Freako
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Willamette Valley
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_jazz
I loved the fake movie trailers. Machete by far the best.
Hey slow_jazz, dig this!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985694/
__________________
___________________

ACHOO!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Kptn Howdie's Avatar
Kptn Howdie Kptn Howdie is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: toronto canada.
Posts: 56
i just saw this flick. my wife and i loved every miniute of it, and she`s a chick flick gal.

quite frankly i`m getting sick and tried of the same old dull and cheesy horror flicks, courtroom drama`s, serial predictable killer movies, and stupid comedies starring adam sandler, or anything to do with will smith.

grindhouse was fresh, exciting, fast paced, and completely different from all the other crap i have to pay 40 bucks for including popcorn combo.

best movie i`ve seen since the greatest movie of all time: THE EXORCIST!!

.....and they paid amage to vanishing point, and dirty mary crazy larry.

9/10. it didn`t get 10 because i believe borrowed a bit of "rob zombie`s" house of a 1000 corpses and the devils rejects feel. (also 2 super great flicks).
__________________
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #41  
Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 AM
bmc1973's Avatar
bmc1973 bmc1973 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Gonna go see it tomorrow! Cannot wait! One of the scenes was shot at my buddy's apt complex here in Austin, so there's a homer connection.
__________________
Yorx DM1C0 w/ 3rd level mods by Van Nostrand, including Virtual Dynamics Power Cord. - Panasonic Thrusters w 3rd level mods by BPC Mods
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 AM
onepixel's Avatar
onepixel onepixel is offline
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 154
Just came back from Grindhouse. Loved every minute of it. Haven't been that entertained in a long time. I laughed my ass off the entire time!

It was good to laugh today.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Mystic's Avatar
Mystic Mystic is offline
AK Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Gabriel Valley
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Prolly WON'T go see it, but sounds like a good rental...Last several times I've gone to a theater, I swear I'll never go back-the trash, the feckin' 6'8" idiot RIGHT IN FRONT-wearing a cap, of course, the 17, 132 teenage grrrrls who are in a steady stream goin' back 'n' forth the whole movie, the at least 4 or 5 babies who are in EVERY audience nowadays per Federal law & who start screaming...or the little shithead behind me who kicks the back of my seat the whole time-when HE isn't screaming, of course...That gal needs to take her M-60 leg & straighten about half these fools out...

Usually these & more are exactly the reasons I avoid the theater showing of films. Still, I knew that I wanted to see Grindhouse on a large screen w/ big sound, so my son and I braved the in-theater elements and went to the show...on a Saturday evening show (6pm I think?). Funny thing: In an audience of maybe 100, there were (A) no teen girls in the theater, (B) there were maybe 15 women out of the 100 attending and (C) there was so much space between seats that there wasn't any chance of Mr (or Ms?) 6' 8" to plop down in front of us. (At 6' 5", I'm usually the problem anyway) But that's here, the gender split might be different in the east, but I doubt it, word on the street is that this is a man's movie, and the wymyn folk ain't taking it in.

Anyway, we loved it, all of it, esp the trailers & Death Proof.

Zoe Bell for Best Supporting Actress!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.