![]() |
|
#16
|
|||
|
|||
|
Another Altman flick is the Long Goodbye with Elliot Gould, about a Sam Marlowe type private eye stuck in the early 1970's, very original & entertaining. I loved Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (and nearly everything else starring Clint Eastwood), but it sure ended on a downer, huh. Films from this time were more daring and edgy because of the nature of the times and because the studio "system" had broken down in the early sixties and directors were unleashed; at least thats how I understand it (I wasn't alive at the time).
|
|
#17
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
|
|
#18
|
|||
|
|||
|
Two more Brit films:
"Morgan" (which I watched recently and, unfortunately, didn't hold up.) "If" (another Malcolm McDowell film just released on DVD. It's in my Netflix queue and I'll be interested to see how it is after all these years.) American: "Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean" (John Huston film starring Paul Newman. Still works for me.) |
|
#19
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
|
|
#20
|
||||
|
||||
|
"Judge Roy Bean"- Loved The Bear. And, Victoria Principal, pre-Dallas.
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
| Audiokarma |
|
#21
|
||||
|
||||
|
The Good the Bad and the Ugly (watched it with my 13 year old the other day)
The President's Analyst (James Colburn and Godfrey Cambridge)
__________________
Ed |
|
#22
|
|||
|
|||
|
A few come to mind....
"Husbands" - John Cassavettes, Ben Gazzara, Peter Falk. "I never sang for my father" - Gene Hackman, Melvyn Douglas, Estelle Parsons. "Parallax view", "Silent running" - already mentioned. "Little big man" - Dustin Hoffman, Chief Dan George. .....and the greatest movie ever made - "Network" Ron. |
|
#23
|
||||
|
||||
|
"Beyond The Valley of The Dolls" Directed by Russ Meyer and written by Roger Ebert!
It doesn't get any better (or worse, depending on your point of view) than this! |
|
#24
|
||||
|
||||
|
This may be a little off what most of you are posting, but remember that last, great, Peter Sellers flick, "Being There" ? It was partially filmed at Biltmore in Asheville, about 2 hrs from here.
__________________
Benevolent Despot |
|
#25
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
Yes. Chauncey (the) Gardener was great. I think Shirley McClain was still on her first life back then. Ron. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#26
|
||||
|
||||
|
not sure of the date but i think it qualifies, and it is a great flick with the best ending ever... - a boy and his dog -
__________________
go you wildcats yay i am a WOG mecha |
|
#27
|
||||
|
||||
|
All amazing recommendations so far. Thanks, and cheers! And keep 'em coming!
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited! |
|
#28
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
|
#29
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
"You know, I really liked her."
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
|
#30
|
||||
|
||||
|
Fahrenheit 451, The Beguiled, Wild In The Streets, Midnight Cowboy.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|