Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-09-2006, 07:53 PM
wesley1959
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking about Tom Cruise. I will rent, not go see, his new Mission Impossible III when it comes out on DVD. Looks pretty decent. I wish they would release the original television series on DVD. That was a great show. Good Day Mr Phelps. Your mission, if you decide to accept it is to find out why the avatars got yanked ?????
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM
drcruz drcruz is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4
Wow, Why all the hate? (just kidding )

I REALLY liked WoW's even to the point of buying the HG Wells original book. Nice thing is the book came w/ the Orson Wells radio broadcast (very cool I might add).

Reading the original, the Tom Cruise / Spielberg movie was pretty close. The reason the 2005 movie focused on Cruise (and family - this was the character diff between original novel and movie) is because that what Wells did.

The movie and book had the "Burning Train crossing", "The Red Weed", "The Ferry Crossing (this was a combination of 2 scenes in the book), "The Weird Tim Robins character (combination of 2 characters / combination of 2 hide out scenes), "The murder of the guy w/ the alien tube thingy" was in the book, I mean don't blame the movie for the ending either, it was in the book.

Anyway, I'm a proud owner of the DVD - to each his own I guess

Okay (fire retardant suit on) - "FLAME ON"

Last edited by drcruz; 04-19-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
This movie was a dismal remake and couldn't hold a candle to the entertaining George Pal version of the fifties. No characters that you could care about, and the usual computer generated effects coupled with an, at times, hard to follow script are the culprits here. Speilberg is a great director, but I suppose he is allowed a few failures.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Marantz Man's Avatar
Marantz Man Marantz Man is offline
Mmmm, Rotel you say???
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NS, Canada
Posts: 10
With Pearl Habour apart from the scene of the attacke itself, great effect BTW, it just smacked to me of Titanic, ie A full on love story with a bit of history as the baseline.

Just my 2d's worth
__________________
Regards Nick
"Sir, if you were my husband, I'd poison you."
"Ma'am, if you were my wife, I'd drink it...."
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
drcruz drcruz is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4
After watching Pearl Harbor, I barrowed my Dad's copy of TORA TORA TORA...

WOW, TORA TORA TORA was EXCELLENT. Pearl Harbor is the movie that can't hold a candel to the earlier movie. The only thing going for Pearl Harbor was the effects were much better. But MAN, TORA TORA TORA was just such a good story.

The greatness of TORA TORA TORA compaired to PH is like compairing the greatness of Das Boot to U-571

CGI doesn't bother me a bit, I figure it's here to stay. Therefore I just watch movies and try to get into the stories that interest me.

I need to breakdown and watch the earlier War of the Worlds and see how it compares. What I remember though is that I wasn't very impressed w/ the earlier WotW's. Watching the newer version I was completely on the edge of my seat, I felt more hopeless watching the 2005 version of WotW then what I remember w/ the earlier version (even though I already knew the ending). My Wife was even disturbed watching the 2005 DVD and she's not a Sci-Fi fan like me.

Last edited by drcruz; 05-07-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 05-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Donkey! Donkey! is offline
AK member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51
That Tom Cruise has to be one of the worst actors I've ever seen
I have to say that I am not a fan of him myself. Im boycotting hollywood.
People should try it. It's fun and definitely free.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-08-2006, 05:46 AM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8mob
I have to say that I am not a fan of him myself. Im boycotting hollywood.
People should try it. It's fun and definitely free.
Me and you both KC... I haven't been to see a movie, or even rented a DVD in ages. I decided that if Hollywood was so bereft of new material that all they could do was remake classics... They didn't need my money.

I mean c'mon, Flight of the Phoenix? Some how Dennis Quaid feels qualified to reprise Jimmy Stewart? Geez... CGI airplanes (or spaceships - Battleships - etc) don't cover for the fact that you're incapable of telling a story.

Hollywood's been freaking the last couple years because people aren't coming to see films at the theatres. Here's a hint! Tell a story you nimrods, preferably one we haven't already heard a half dozen times!
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Sbarber
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
One huge problem that I have with the new version that I didn't mention earlier was the fact that there were no full on battle scenes with our military and the aliens. There is only a reference with the actual battle being fought on the other side of a hill. We never actually see any of it. Come on, a huge budget and no battle sequences! You would think that with todays effects technology that they would depict at least one grand confrontation. After all this is "War of the Worlds". At least in the original, they did a have a great battle scene with great special effects for their day. I'll never forget seeing our weapons and soldiers being disintegrated as a kid. Also, I loved the cool shots of our artillary trying to penetrate the alien force fields surrounding the alien ships. Remember also, that Gordon Jennings and his effects team were working on a limited budget. What imagination and genious these guys displayed. These people were pioneers that todays effects technicians owe a debt of gratitude to.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
drcruz drcruz is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4
Sbarber, Good point. Even the novel had some battle scenes.

The reason WotW works for me is, if normal people were put in a similar situation I believe they would act like the people did on screen. Whether I care for the characters or not, in my mind the acting was believable for the given situation.

Just my (dissenting) opinion - no biggy
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Jesse Garron's Avatar
Jesse Garron Jesse Garron is offline
You may know my brother
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa, FLA
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadzz
Titanic = boat hits iceberg, boat sinks, people drown.
Dammit man! I hate it when people blab the ending of a movie! I was looking forward to renting this.






__________________
T.C.B.

~meet my twin brother from another mother
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 06-03-2006, 07:48 AM
FlorianW
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Garron
Dammit man! I hate it when people blab the ending of a movie! I was looking forward to renting this.






Is that how it ended? I thought the boat would resurface, everyone climbs abord and sails back to shore........


Oh wait....i was watching it backwards..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Inspiribomb's Avatar
Inspiribomb Inspiribomb is offline
Enjoy the journey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 4
Quote:
I found it really bad, esp. that the human race didnt get extinct. They had absolutly no chance to win the war against the aliens but only survive because the alien gets a cold
For the day, I would think this to be a pretty creative ending. I only saw it because I wanted to see the tripods. The movie sucked, IMO, and I will stick with my vinyl copy of Jeff Wayne's musical WOTW and leave the images to my brain. However, certain scenes were kinda cool/gross (ie - when the martians are "feeding").
__________________
<= Me
Bel Canto DAC3
Classe CA-2200
Squeezebox 3
Infinity Renaissance 90
NHT W1 Subwoofers X2
Rotel RLC-1080
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Andyman's Avatar
Andyman Andyman is offline
Scroungus Stereophilus
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North of Detroit, East of Grumpy. West of Kegger
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianW
I found it really bad, esp. that the human race didnt get extinct. They had absolutly no chance to win the war against the aliens but only survive because the alien gets a cold
Sorry Guys, but that's the way H. G. Wells wrote it.

Part of the irony in the book/film
__________________
I think the world is run by "C" students - Al McGuire
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Inspiribomb's Avatar
Inspiribomb Inspiribomb is offline
Enjoy the journey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 4
Quote:
Sorry Guys, but that's the way H. G. Wells wrote it.
Exactly.
__________________
<= Me
Bel Canto DAC3
Classe CA-2200
Squeezebox 3
Infinity Renaissance 90
NHT W1 Subwoofers X2
Rotel RLC-1080
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Much2learn Much2learn is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Posts: 1
I too felt the movie missfired somehow but the scene that really got me laughing was when they emerged from their home in the morning to find the neighborhood in ruins, a plane on the front lawn etc yet there was still a clear path for them to drive away in their SUV....or did I fall asleep and just dream that sequence?

Cheers
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.