Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-01-2006, 09:19 PM
dr*audio's Avatar
dr*audio dr*audio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 93
There were some stand out shows of the older doctors. I can't say I liked the first Doctor, William Hartnell, very much, but Patrick Troughton, the second doctor was quite good. If you can find it, see War Games, his last show. I really liked it. There is a character in there that I believe is the fore-runner of The Master, he calls himself The War Master and he is another renegade Timelord.
Someone mentioned that the Doctor Who movie came before the TV show. This movie, which starred Peter Cushing as The Doctor came out in 1965. The TV series came first in 1963.
__________________
Warren

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Negotiableterms's Avatar
Negotiableterms Negotiableterms is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Tahoe/Seattle
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotno
Tom Baker is still my favorite doctor...
Yup.
__________________

New gear, old gear, black gear, gold gear, it's still rock n' roll to me.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-01-2006, 10:11 PM
glen65's Avatar
glen65 glen65 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mid Ohio
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldear
glen65:
Is that "Joe Grant" on that Dollek? Damn...


Quote:
Originally Posted by dr*audio
There were some stand out shows of the older doctors. I can't say I liked the first Doctor, William Hartnell, very much, but Patrick Troughton, the second doctor was quite good.
I liked the first four after that I lost interest.

Last edited by glen65; 04-01-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Einar72's Avatar
Einar72 Einar72 is offline
Chasin roundies since '79
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 936
Good to see The Doctor back on the little screen! Just watched two hours on Sci-Fi last night, and I think having ANY Doctor at this point is a good thing! I do miss watching the old ones, out here there was still a PBS affiliate showing 1-3 hours every Saturday, complete with Klingon-costumed volunteers manning the pledge-drive phones.

Now to the soapbox: Tom Baker will always be The Doctor to me. Colin Baker was, IMHO, the reason for the first cancellation back in the '80's. Much of the Hartnell/Troughton years, along with a Dalek story are LOST . This is yet another venue to tell the story of how just weeks before the Beeb decided on preserving the old series, they erased, burned, and dumpstered much of the first two Doctors' collected episodes, and did in some early Pertwee as well. ANY footage is still being sought to restore these great old episodes, so support this effort by buying all the re-issue DVDs you can, even the DREADFUL Peter Cushing movies, there are two on a disk called DALEKMANIA (I think, my ex got all the Doctor media collection).
There are many great websites where you can learn more, unless I've put you-all to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doctor.JPG (55.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Einar72; 04-01-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-01-2006, 10:27 PM
glen65's Avatar
glen65 glen65 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mid Ohio
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar72
Now to the soapbox: Tom Baker will always be The Doctor to me.
Yes and I believe the longest running one. The newer ones dont seem to be
staying put very long. Thier now up to number 10. Only two more to go and
he's history.

Quote:
Colin Baker was, IMHO, the reason for the first cancellation back in the '80's.
He flat out sucked. He played a guard in one of the earlier episodes.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 04-01-2006, 10:36 PM
goldear's Avatar
goldear goldear is offline
Certifiable Audio Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr*audio
There were some stand out shows of the older doctors. I can't say I liked the first Doctor, William Hartnell, very much, but Patrick Troughton, the second doctor was quite good. If you can find it, see War Games, his last show. I really liked it. There is a character in there that I believe is the fore-runner of The Master, he calls himself The War Master and he is another renegade Timelord.
Someone mentioned that the Doctor Who movie came before the TV show. This movie, which starred Peter Cushing as The Doctor came out in 1965. The TV series came first in 1963.
I saw one or two segments of that last Patrick Troughton episode of which you speak, and your right, it was the best episode of his that I ever saw. Wasn't that the one that got him banished to earth? I'd love to see that entire episode.

I've read others who blamed the failing of the franchise on Collin Baker, but I'm not sure that I buy it. Remember the series had either two or three seasons with the 7th Doctor following CB's reign. Tom Baker was a very hard act to follow, so all the following doctors were lacking comapred to him. I guess that I liked the exceedingly excentric nature of Collin's character.

I think that the series had just become too stale, and that for whatever reason, that the BBC decided that thier money was better spent elsewhere. Remember, Dr Who was a relatively expensive production with all of the elaboate sets, and such...

And while suporting the series is admerable, there is NO WAY that i will ever buy that atrocious movie with Peter Cushing. I caught that by accident on late-night TV once. I couldn't even sit through it back when I was really into the Doctor! It was HORRIBLE!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-01-2006, 11:05 PM
dr*audio's Avatar
dr*audio dr*audio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 93
I just checked; I have War Games on VHS and the tape is still in good shape. I'll transfer it to DVD as soon as I can get around to it and make a copy available for circulation.
__________________
Warren

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:21 AM
goldear's Avatar
goldear goldear is offline
Certifiable Audio Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr*audio
I just checked; I have War Games on VHS and the tape is still in good shape. I'll transfer it to DVD as soon as I can get around to it and make a copy available for circulation.
If you do, then please sign me up! BTW: I'm pretty sure that I've got one of my favorites on VHS too: "The 5 Doctors".
__________________

Last edited by goldear; 04-02-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:08 AM
Einar72's Avatar
Einar72 Einar72 is offline
Chasin roundies since '79
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 936
Turns out one episode from the lost Hartnell/Daleks story has been found!http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/3400429.stm

Last edited by Einar72; 04-02-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-02-2006, 10:18 AM
dr*audio's Avatar
dr*audio dr*audio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldear
If you do, then please sign me up! BTW: I'm pretty sure that I've got one of my favorites on VHS too: "The 5 Doctors".

You're first on the list!
__________________
Warren

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 04-02-2006, 10:45 PM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr*audio
I just checked; I have War Games on VHS and the tape is still in good shape. I'll transfer it to DVD as soon as I can get around to it and make a copy available for circulation.
Please include me in Doc, I'd love to have a copy... Holler if you need a little ˘ for copying and shipping.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-03-2006, 01:07 AM
SansuiSamRI
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Doctor What?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Crotalus's Avatar
Crotalus Crotalus is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO.
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SansuiSamRI
Doctor What?
No, Doctor Who.
__________________
Main System: Sansui AU-717 (EW restored), Linaeum LS-2's, Polk PSW-202 Sub
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,109
I liked the third, or maybe it was the fourth....the guy that had the model T and looked like Mozart

Gotta love aliens that are shaped like salt shakers
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-03-2006, 03:12 PM
dr*audio's Avatar
dr*audio dr*audio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
I liked the third, or maybe it was the fourth....the guy that had the model T and looked like Mozart

Gotta love aliens that are shaped like salt shakers
That was Jon Pertwee. The best thing about him, I thought, was The Master. I didn't like the fact that he was stuck on Earth.
__________________
Warren

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.