![]() |
|
#16
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Russ |
|
#17
|
||||
|
||||
|
I always liked:
"Guadalcanal Diary" 1943 "Run Silent, Run Deep" 1958 "All Quiet on the Western Front" 1930 "The Boys from Company C" 1978
__________________
Head-On - Apply it directly to the forehead Head-On - Apply it directly to the forehead Head-On - Apply it directly to the forehead Last edited by Mr Natural; 02-18-2006 at 01:42 PM. |
|
#18
|
||||
|
||||
|
The one that sticks in my mind is "The Train" from 1964.
An incredibly tense film about the resistance trying to keep a trainload of stolen art from being sent to Nazi Germany. from the IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/#comment "Burt Lancaster is Labiche, a French station manager who becomes entangled in efforts to prevent German Colonel Von Waldheim (Scofield) from shipping hundreds of classic pieces of artwork out of Paris before the Allies re-take the city." |
|
#19
|
||||
|
||||
|
I've seen so many repeats of my favorite war movies that none of them have any special appeal to me anymore. But the ones that I liked the first time I saw them:
1.Cross of Iron 2. Saving Privat Ryan 3. The Lost Battalion 4. Stalingrad 5. Tobruk Ovenmaster, I think the World at War series was a great series. However I like the Unkown War series better if you ever get a chance to see them. You'll learn things about the WWII that isn't commonly known. Example one show if I remember correctly. The allies had cracked the German code machine 'Enigma'. And Montgomery knew ahead of time, Rommel's plans. So he was able to counter his attacks. Rommel was so frustrated by this he thought he had a spy within his organization. He never thought that their codes had been cracked since they figured their code machine to be unbreakable. Lots of other interesting stuff about the war in that series. |
|
#20
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Another good WWI offering is "Once an Eagle" with Sam Elliot. It was a miniseries in the mid-70's and spans both WWI & WWII.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#21
|
||||
|
||||
|
For fans of warbirds, "Battle of Britain" is superb. It was filmed primarily in Spain. After WWII, Spain built German pattern ME-109's & HE-111's well into the 50's and both of which were used in the real Battle of Britain. IIRC, the real issue for the film crew was tracking down enough Spitfires & Hurricanes to use in the big scenes.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time. |
|
#22
|
||||
|
||||
|
Dr. Strangelove
The Caine Mutiny Mister Roberts Patton Paths of Glory The Americanization of Emily Casablanca
__________________
MCD205 MR85 C46 MC402 a/d/s L-980's (Denon DP52F TT w/SignetTK10-ML) |
|
#23
|
||||
|
||||
|
"Why We Fight" is so pertinent to current foreign affairs issues and is a great piece of politically incorrect filmaking. Can you imagine Hollywood making a war movie about Iraq with a boys' chorus singing "Onward Christian Soldiers"?
The ones that always made my hair stand up were the Cold War nuclear movies since I was acutely aware that I was the target. "Fail Safe" was scary as was "The Morning After". Loved "Dr. Strangelove" - "There will be no fighting in the war room!" For a real WWII heartbreaker, "Mrs. Miniver" For a Civil War movie, "Glory." "Rough Riders" was interesting for a Ted Turner cable movie. |
|
#24
|
||||
|
||||
|
"Enemy at the Gates" with Jude Law and Ed Harris. WWI in Russia about snipers. Its the beginning that is strange. The Russians have plenty of "volunteers" but limited weapons. They send them into battle in pairs with only one rifle between them and a few rounds of ammo. When one is shot the other picks up the rifle and keeps shooting. Also if anyone tries to retreat they are shot their commanders! Only one direction, forward.
__________________
Sansui 9090DB Thorens TD 145 MkII Yamaha DVD C750 Teac A4010SL Klipsch Forte II's Polk Monitor 10 II's |
|
#25
|
|||
|
|||
|
Impossible to name only 5. There were 5 on tv every Sunday when I was a kid.
Air Force God is My Co-Pilot Fighter Squadron Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo The Purple Heart A Wing and A Prayer Guadalcanal Diary Back to Bataan Attack A Walk in the Sun Heaven Knows Mr. Allison Run Silent, Run Deep Destination Tokyo Then there's The Great Escape The Guns of Navarone The Bridge on the River Kwai The Longest Day The Eiger Sanction Hell is for Heroes Midway A Bridge Too Far The Battle of the Bulge Pork Chop Hill Patton Sink the Bismarck The Enemy Below The Bedford Incident Television shows were all about Sgt. Saunders and Gen. Frank Savage. |
| Audiokarma |
|
#26
|
||||
|
||||
|
No love here for Sergeant York, I see.
__________________
"If evil exists, it's a pair of train tracks, And the Devil is a railroad car." -Josh Ritter- |
|
#27
|
||||
|
||||
|
Anyone mention the "Dirty Dozen" or "The Guns of Narvarone?"
__________________
gas anyone? |
|
#28
|
|||
|
|||
|
Yes, they did.
I'm not the first one to tell you that freakin' gas has got you 1/2 hour, maybe 45 minutes behind the power curve am I? |
|
#29
|
||||
|
||||
|
Uh, did I mention "King Rat" and "the Dirty Dozen?"
__________________
gas anyone? |
|
#30
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Saving Private Ryan is almost a cliché because of its popularity, but still one of the best. Patton Midway Das Boot Guadalcanal Diary has a sad footnote: Quote:
__________________
In battle, in forest, at the precipice in the mountains, On the dark great sea, in the midst of javelins and arrows, In sleep, in confusion, in the depths of shame, The good deeds a man has done before defend him. --Bhagavad-Gita |
| Audiokarma |
![]() |
|
|