Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-17-2006, 09:07 AM
junkaudio's Avatar
junkaudio junkaudio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bavaria (germany) home of beer
Posts: 23
just watched the movie on dvd .great movie ,good music ,good sound
__________________
a life without music is a mistake
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
Good movie, great band sound, bad singer. To me that is a turn off because althought Johnny was very interesting for many reasons, his voice is what America grew up on. I never saw him in person but there hasnt been a time I can remember in my life that that voice was not 100% recognizable and pleasing to the ear and mind.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-30-2006, 02:19 AM
doctorbongo's Avatar
doctorbongo doctorbongo is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 30
fear not the known

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotno
I've been kind of afraid to go see it Jimmy... I admired Johnny as a man, and adored his music. I've been scared of seeing it, for fear of being disapointed with the portrayals. Still "fence sittin" this one, but I'm feeling more inclined with every good review from "music people" I hear.
In 1967, I went back to the aunt and uncle's farm in iowa.
was trooping around with the 8 year older cousin, and
fell in love with my first song: Light My Fire.
I was perfectly fine with Oliver Stone's "The Doors."
AND, my gf had "Walk the Line" for six months, and when we
finally watched it, I thought it was excellent.

Reese Witherspoon is OUTSTANDING. Joaquin Phoenix nails it, too.

Worst case: you see it once, and perhaps learn a factoid you didn't know.
That's one of the bright spots; I think it was fairly faithful to the story.
__________________
Never said I was a stool pigeon. Never said I was a diplomat.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-30-2006, 05:16 PM
thedelihaus's Avatar
thedelihaus thedelihaus is offline
See me,touch me,Thiel me
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston Area, Massachusetts
Posts: 178
Joaquin Phoenix did a great job, I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman did an excellent job in his roll too, however- totally different styles of movie, and completely different roles.

Both deserve awards.

As for Reese Witherspoon- well, I've never complained about her in the past, but she practically, single-handedly ruined the movie for me.

Sorry- just didn't like her portrayal of Miss Cash at all.

That's just my opinion though.
__________________
What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angels' trumpets and devils' trombones. You are invited!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-30-2006, 05:49 PM
jonman jonman is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 67
I am hoping they will do a sequel and cover the later part of his life including the snubbing from Colombia Records and mainstream country radio, and the time of his comeback with the American recordings.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 01-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonman
I am hoping they will do a sequel and cover the later part of his life including the snubbing from Colombia Records and mainstream country radio, and the time of his comeback with the American recordings.
YES! They could very, very easily do a sequel. First they could elaborate more on the things that happened between 1955 and the time frame the movie begins and ends in (I think) 1965 or later. Unless I missed dates at the bottom of the screen the story kind of spans a wider range of time than the average viewer may realize. I am a fan so I could tell that they were at much different times of his carreer. One minute you are in Sam Phillips studio where Johnny is being discovered, the next you are in the HEAVY drug use years hearing him mention Bob Dylan and having dinner at his mansion. He and June are then performing Jackson which I thought was a 1969 hit (?) They could have done a better job making you more aware of how much time had passed. A 15 year old might find Johnny's story fascinating but think that it all happened in 4 or 5 years. Maybe some folks don't know that Bob Dylan was not big on the scene in the late 50's. To me THAT was the clue that I was now in maybe 1963 or 1964.

I guess in only a couple of hours you can only hit the high spots and there is a lot of story to tell about Johnny Cash. They should have made it as long as JFK or something. The still could do a sequel after 3 hours I think. I'm not saying the movie stunk at all. I like it by and large, but being a fan kind of makes you real critical of the portrayal.

I guess the actor did about as good as anybody could do. My second viewing actually made me see more of Johnny in him. I wasnt as busy noticing the weird timeline portrayal and the overdone body movements.

Still in all it a good thing and a sequel again would be very easy. I would like to see something about his interest and work with the couterculture (The Johnny Cash Show), Bob Dylan, and Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-02-2007, 07:12 AM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DualsNotEnough
My wife and I went to see the Johnny Cash biopic tonight.
~10 years ago I flew to CES out of Boston. My coworker spotted a guy sitting up ahead of us and said it was Johnny Cash. Sure enough it was, but I barely recognized him. He was in real tough shape like he'd had a stroke. When we got off the plane he had stopped to wait for some others. We thanked him for his music and he seemed genuinely appreciative.
__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Tubejunke's Avatar
Tubejunke Tubejunke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Martinsville, VA
Posts: 1,823
He had some kind of nerve damaging disease. I forget the name of it. I had thought for a while that he had a stroke because it looked like half of his face was numb. His speach was a bit slurred. Shortly before he died he came on Larry King Live and explained his situation. Many say that he tortured his body into an early grave but Johnny stated that he didnt think any of the ailments that were big issues later in his life were related to drug abuse or whatnot.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.