Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-22-2005, 08:27 AM
OvenMaster's Avatar
OvenMaster OvenMaster is offline
DTV blows
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 565
Celt, that thumbnail would make a perfect avatar for someone who's like-minded
And as far as BritComs go, I have to put in a vote here for Red Dwarf.
Tom
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-22-2005, 08:29 AM
bolly bolly is offline
_______
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CFB Borden
Posts: 55
what about The Prisoner
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-22-2005, 08:55 AM
botrytis's Avatar
botrytis botrytis is offline
Space holder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolly
what about The Prisoner
That is not a comedy!

Anybody remember a show called 'The Goodies'? That one was really funny!!

Dave
__________________
"Resentment is like taking poison yourself and waiting for the other guy to die."

-Carrie Fisher
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-22-2005, 08:57 AM
bolly bolly is offline
_______
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CFB Borden
Posts: 55
scones

The Goodies, yep
__________________

Last edited by bolly; 10-22-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Ol' Ken's Avatar
Ol' Ken Ol' Ken is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 3
Up Pompei with Franky Howerd. While the Prisoner was not a comedy it is IMHO the finest TV series ever produced
__________________
Ol' Ken
Professional Retiree
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 10-22-2005, 01:50 PM
jimmymagick jimmymagick is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 29
One more: "Brilliant." Love the indeterminate Eastern European newscast: tomorrow's weather "scorchio!"

And Black Adder's Christmas Carol has become a holiday tradition at my house.

Unrelated BBCAmerica story: at work, I shared cigarettes with Trinny and Susannah from "What Not To Wear." Good for a peck on the cheek from Trinny and a rather buxom hug from Susannah.

Someday, ask me my Hallie Berry anecdote. Oh, never mind: I'm saving that for the personality segment when I finally get on Jeopardy. ("That's right, Alex. I do have a rather amusing Hallie Berry story.")
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-11-2005, 11:53 PM
RussinOhio's Avatar
RussinOhio RussinOhio is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 120
Anything Monty Python is the funniest stuff ever!

I laughed so hard at "Life Of Brian" I actually hurt a stomach muscle! No lie!

Russ
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-12-2005, 07:33 AM
mhardy6647's Avatar
mhardy6647 mhardy6647 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 333
Always a fan of British humor, especially the absurdist kind like "Monty Python", but also the dumbest sitcoms ("Are You Being Served", etc.). When I was a kid, I loved "Doctor in the House" (anyone remember that one?).

My favorite, though, is "Red Dwarf". And my favorite episode, bar none, is "White Hole". Brilliant and funny.
__________________
all the best,
mrh
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-12-2005, 08:29 AM
grumpy's Avatar
grumpy grumpy is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 380
Huge fan of Are you being served here.

It all started with Phython which still has me in stitches ( The Larch......... )

Mr Bean had its moments but it was too Charlie Chaplin for me.

How can anyone not be a Benny Hill fan ?

The young ones was hilarious but the one that always had me in stitches was Absolutely Fabulous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abwrong.jpg (9.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Holst's Avatar
Holst Holst is offline
<Mahler and Me
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: S Crow Wing Co. Minnesota
Posts: 217
I picked up the complete "Fawlty Towers" DVD set. I'm pushing 50, a generation that quotes shows like this. But now my 14 year old daughter can quote the show too. Her fellow class mates don't get it. I had a parent teacher meeting this week where three teachers complimented me on exposing the kid to lot's of different influences.

AbFab... too funny "damn asmatic cab drivers".

Are you being served, waiting for God, To the manor born, the good life, they seem tame now, but were pretty cutting edge for their time
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 11-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Mike Gibson's Avatar
Mike Gibson Mike Gibson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dufur Oregon
Posts: 15
Are you being served is my favorite but I liked them all with the exception of Mr. Bean. Rumpole of the old Bailey is pretty good also. Monty Python sort of set the standard and the rest have been trying to match up to it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-13-2005, 07:17 PM
bOUddha's Avatar
bOUddha bOUddha is offline
"Lose true degree <.5%"
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC
This show was SO funny as a brittish comedy and SO Bad as an american one!
Same story with Ricky Gervais' The Office...

BBC America is one of my favorite channels. Murder in Suburbia, Jonathan Creek, etc. Plus all the comedies mentioned.

To the Manor Born
__________________
Sumiko Blackbird, RB-300 w/TechnoWeight, Sota Sapphire, Sansui T-717, MHZS CD33E, ARC PH-3, ARC SP 9 Mk III, ARC D-240, Altec 14
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
My sister (44) & my 1st cousin (25) went to the Big Apple recently & saw "Spamalot". My sister has been a big Python fan for years, & howled at it, Julia-the clueless cousin-really didn't get much of it. But in all fairness, I doubt if she'd ever seen any of the classic Python sketches.-Sandy G.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-14-2005, 09:31 AM
WhiskeyRebel's Avatar
WhiskeyRebel WhiskeyRebel is offline
Registered thread killer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Center Line MI (2 mi N of Detroit)
Posts: 33
Mostly a fan. Got into English shows watching "No Honestly" and "Father Dear Father" on the PBS station up north when I was a kid. You know, when there was nothing on the one other channel we could get.

I wish Red Dwarf were still broadcast around here.

Young Ones rules. Up Scumbag!

Rowan Atkinson just has to stand there and exist, and I'll laugh. Hell, I even liked Johnny English.

One thing you notice in contrast between English shows and US shows is that English TV doesn't feel compelled to make the characters sympathetic and the actors desirable. English TV casts look roughly like the collection of people you'd actually see in the situation presented. Let's face it, after a few episodes you could recognize Wendy Richard as somebody you might ask out if you were working in a store with her, but she's not the sort you would fantasize about at a glance. Not exactly aspirational tail.

US TV casts look like a bunch of people who moved to Hollywood because people told them they look good enough to be on TV. It is as though the people producing shows here are terrified that the viewers here will change channels if they don't decide in 250 milliseconds that they would either want to be or want to boff the people they see onscreen.

How oh how can I convert my wife to a Python fan? She will watch Benny Hill and the Three Stooges with me but she draws the line at Monty Python.

I can't agree on The Office. After all the hoopla I tried watching it on BBC America. I recognize what I'm expected to laugh at but it just makes me wince.
__________________
Here's to loud things that sound good, and things that sound good loud!
Whiskeyrebel
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Dynacophil's Avatar
Dynacophil Dynacophil is offline
I ain't Phil, I'm 'phile
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 43
Hi
Quote:
How oh how can I convert my wife to a Python fan?
a nice christmas eve, a bottle of wine, a couch, a wife an "Life of Brian" in the player
or start with something easy like Brazil (does she like Robert deNiro..?) - not the Pythons, but Terry Gilliam



Helge
__________________
"Iss dein Schitzel, sonst kriegst du keinen Nachtisch“
Elliot Reid


Last edited by Dynacophil; 11-14-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.