Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-26-2005, 08:12 AM
piece-it pete's Avatar
piece-it pete piece-it pete is offline
What, me worry?
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 29
Third or fourth the Foundation Trilogy (quadrilogy?) as a "should do it", although the awful makes of the mentioned "I Robot" (very little real Asimov in there) and the older "Enemy Mine" makes the following alarm go off: "Danger Will Robinson. Danger Will Robinson".

Pete
__________________
"If only these walls could talk. Then people would pay to see my amazing talking walls."

Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-26-2005, 09:03 PM
ByrdWyngs's Avatar
ByrdWyngs ByrdWyngs is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 8
Hi, My name is George and I'm a Sci-Fi fanatic...

After some serious culling I'm down to about 50' of SF novels in my library. I stick mostly to Hard SF but still read pretty much everything from Poul Anderson to Roger Zelazny. My SF film/TV collection isn't nearly as extensive but still pretty good sized and I have a fair amount of stuff on VHS, LD, and DVD.

As far as ST is concerned I'm definitely in the original series and TNG (after the first season or two) camp, could never really get into DS9 although I tried, liked some and hated some of Voyager, and was equally mixed on Enterprise. Outer Limits was consistantly great and Twilight Zone almost as good. Tried to watch Babylon 5 but just couldn't. If pressed I will admit to watching the original Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (the annoying robot's name was Twiggy), My Favorite Martian, Lost in Space and most everything else that's been mentioned so far. I really enjoyed the first few seasons of Farscape but they lost me towards the end, I'm a big fan of SG-1 (even the new season). There is one series that nobody else has mentioned so far that I really liked and that is Firefly. Fox did everything they could to make sure it failed, and sure enough it did. If you didn't catch it when it was on originally I would highly recommend you catch it on Sci-Fi channel while they are running it now (Friday nights before SG-1 and Atlantis) or just go buy the DVDs.

On the movie side of things I'll go along with most of what's been said so far and add a few more. I'm a big fan of Ray Harryhausen's work and think that Fist Men in the Moon, Mysterious Island, Earth vs. the Fling Saucers, It Came from Beneath the Sea, The Beast from 20,00 Fathoms, and 20 Million Miles to Earth are all at least worth a rental if not a permanent place in your collection. Other old fav's include The Time Machine, When Worlds Collide, Them, Day of the Triffids, 5 Million Years to Earth, The Crawling Eye, and The Blob. More recent stuff would include Soylent Green, Contact, Frequency, Dark City, Forever Young, and The Fifth Element. I'll also admit to liking The Postman and don't think it deserves the bad rep it has, even if it wasn't nearly as good as the book (but what movie is?), Waterworld still sucks though.

Things I'd like to see: Foundation of course(although it would have to be a lengthy mini-series to even begin to do it justice), Card's Ender Wiggins trilogy (same), Robinson's Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy (same), Pohl's Gateway trilogy (same), Niven's Ringworld (at least the first one), Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, and, and, and...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Reel 2 Reel's Avatar
Reel 2 Reel Reel 2 Reel is offline
Mad Dog Junkie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rockport Texas
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrdWyngs
Tried to watch Babylon 5 but just couldn't. If pressed I will admit to
Babylon 5 was a great series. It was a 5 year story arc and very detailed.

If you can make it past the first season, which was the setting up of the story and charactor devolopment, your doin' good.... but you have to see it from the beginning to know what is goin on as there aren't any stand alone episodes...

The second season things start to happen to get the jist on what is going on. By the time you get to the third season you are so hooked on it ...you just have to finish watching it...

In my poinion by far the best series....
__________________

Gary in Texas
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Yeah, I tried watching B5, but I didn't get in on the ground floor, so it was pretty incomprehensible for me. But I DID pick up on a few of the characters. The local stations would run it sometimes now, sometimes then,you never knew when it was coming on. Who/what was the alien that looked like a 10-foot tall moth larva & communicated (I think) by telepathy? I kinda liked Lando-he was a sneaky bestid, & I liked Flounder playing his assistant.-Sandy G.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Micropassatman's Avatar
Micropassatman Micropassatman is offline
Swollen Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 17
[QUOTE=bobgary] OTOH, I used to be a big Blade Runner fan a few years ago, have quite a collection of items relating to that movie. I also wrote a very comprehensive college paper on the movie, comparing it to the book it was based upon. QUOTE]

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick. I liked Spielberg's interpretation of another Dick short story, it became "Minority Report". Wasn't as big a fan of yet another Dick piece, it was adapted into the motion picture titled "Total Recall".
__________________
"Yes, but it goes to eleven..."

"No matter where you go...there you are"

Last edited by Micropassatman; 08-27-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 08-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Well it's not really Sci Fi in the strictest sense but I love MST3K.

It's set on a Space Ship and it has lovable Bots, just like Star Wars
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-29-2005, 09:12 AM
piece-it pete's Avatar
piece-it pete piece-it pete is offline
What, me worry?
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 29
I too like MST2K. I wish they could do some of the rotten movies mentioned here. Saw the new "War of the Worlds" last night - insert more upchuck here.

The more I think about Foundation I'd like to see it done the way they did Lord of the Ring - accurate, long, multiple releases. I doubt though that it would be a commercial success, how many scifi geeks exist in the world? Who knows, maybe it'd work.

Heck I think it's time to read it again.

Worth mentioning: Apollo 13. Science fiction come to life.

And Space Cowboys!

Pete
__________________
"If only these walls could talk. Then people would pay to see my amazing talking walls."

Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 AM
salred's Avatar
salred salred is offline
Yamaha Lust
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Posts: 4
Long term SF fan, but I only recently discovered Alfred Bester. I highly recommend "The Stars My Destination" as a classic SF read. (It's original title, "Tiger, Tiger!").

Steve A.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-29-2005, 07:07 PM
huskerdu60622 huskerdu60622 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2
I don't want to mention any of the obvious ones so how about...
The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai
or Repoman (this might also have one of the best soundtracks ever)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Mike Gibson's Avatar
Mike Gibson Mike Gibson is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dufur Oregon
Posts: 15
Steve, look for The Demolished Man by Bester. It's his second best book. He wrote a couple later on that were good but the titles escape me. Also find some A. E. Van Vogt since you like Bester. He wrote mainly in the 40's-50's.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 08-30-2005, 05:52 PM
THOR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I read a lot of "swords and sorcery" stuff so I don't consider that stuff SCI FI, more like fantasy. But props to the guy who said the Conan books, the original Robert E howard books are some of the greatest ones out there.

Since I like too much I will go straight to the hates

Dr. Who

I also think A.I. is one of the most awful boring wastes of my life I ever spent, I should write Spielberg and ask him for those 3 hrs of my life back

Worst movie of all time let alone Sci-Fi movie is hands down Tank Girl.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-30-2005, 08:08 PM
rew15951
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Yeah, and I just loved the covers on the Conan books.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-20-2005, 12:52 PM
diddlybopper's Avatar
diddlybopper diddlybopper is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 34
Way to many to list!Never saw a bad SCFI flick..love the cheezy 50's B movies.
Any old timers out there remember a tv series "Tales Of Tomorrow"??Live drama w/big names Lon Chaney,James Dean several others whose names I can't remember.
You may be able to find something at Rhino.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Photobitstream's Avatar
Photobitstream Photobitstream is offline
Reformed Audiophile
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Round Rock, TX
Posts: 4
Can't believe no one has mentioned these two movies, so I will:

A Boy and His Dog
A Clockwork Orange

The new Battlestar Galactica rocks. Not only the best sci-fi series of all time so far, but the best drama on television right now. I'm betting the human looking Cylons will be successful in their breeding program and will try to overthrow the toasters.

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 was great.

Trivia question: On Stargate: SG-1, what does the acronym GDO stand for? (As in, "Don't forget a GDO" before they go through the gate.)
__________________
Stare with your ears
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Jupiter1610's Avatar
Jupiter1610 Jupiter1610 is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Clackamas County, OR
Posts: 8
All Time Favorites - Star Trek TNG and the Twilight Zone (original)
__________________
''Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art.''
Charlie Parker
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.