Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-26-2023, 02:54 AM
Telecolor 3007's Avatar
Telecolor 3007 Telecolor 3007 is offline
I love old stuff
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 2,123
I have an 2000 "Sony" Trinitron. Not necesarly relabile, because that chassi model had problems with an integrated circuit and mine had a problem with the H.V. connection on the tube, but otherwise, no problems.
The older '90's problably where more relaible.
My granfather had an 1995 U.K. assambled "Panasonic" that worked up untill around 2010. He gave it away without teeling me. The set didn't had a problem in it's entire life and it was regullary used.
__________________
OLD, but ORIGINAL, not Made in CHINA.
Sailor Moon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-26-2023, 09:06 AM
JohnCT's Avatar
JohnCT JohnCT is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
I have an 2000 "Sony" Trinitron. Not necesarly relabile, because that chassi model had problems with an integrated circuit and mine had a problem with the H.V. connection on the tube, but otherwise, no problems.
The older '90's problably where more relaible.
My granfather had an 1995 U.K. assambled "Panasonic" that worked up untill around 2010. He gave it away without teeling me. The set didn't had a problem in it's entire life and it was regullary used.
Yeah, the MCZ chip. I made a ton of money with those. The problem though is that counterfeit MCZ chips hit the market so we had to buy directly from Sony or Hitachi (who used them as well).

A dirty little secret is that year in and year out, Panasonic made a more reliable TV than Sony. Sony had some great chassis but always seemed to make a clunker here and there, but I can't recall Panny ever making a clunker.

John
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-26-2023, 03:36 PM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Yeah, the MCZ chip. I made a ton of money with those. The problem though is that counterfeit MCZ chips hit the market so we had to buy directly from Sony or Hitachi (who used them as well).

A dirty little secret is that year in and year out, Panasonic made a more reliable TV than Sony. Sony had some great chassis but always seemed to make a clunker here and there, but I can't recall Panny ever making a clunker.

John
Place I worked for sold Sony, only TV-Appliance dealer selling Sony in a "city" of 75,000. Without much fanfare, they began selling Panasonic in '85. Just before the GE buying RCA debacle and selling both of those as well through the Thomsen Era.

I have to agree, even the GE PC (?) was proof Panny could improve all things SS, after doing it for Quasar a decade before much as I like Motorola SS, they could be a bear sometimes
__________________
"When resistors increase in value, they're worthless"
-Dave G
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-27-2023, 06:21 AM
Telecolor 3007's Avatar
Telecolor 3007 Telecolor 3007 is offline
I love old stuff
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 2,123
What exactly was the problem with that MCZ chip?
"Panasonic" probably knew that they couldn't make such as good picture tube as "Sony" did, so they went making more relaible chassies - good publicity?
"Samsung" made quite relaible tv sets. I know that in U.S.A. they where problematic, but the ones for Romania where pretty lasting tv sets.
__________________
OLD, but ORIGINAL, not Made in CHINA.
Sailor Moon
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-27-2023, 11:54 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
What exactly was the problem with that MCZ chip?
"Panasonic" probably knew that they couldn't make such as good picture tube as "Sony" did, so they went making more relaible chassies - good publicity?
"Samsung" made quite relaible tv sets. I know that in U.S.A. they where problematic, but the ones for Romania where pretty lasting tv sets.
They're driver chips for the scanning, HV and IIRC switch mode supplies. They tend to fail every so many years.

My DA4 chassis HD-CRT Sony has 2 of them and one blew leaving me with a dead set a few years ago...I ordered a new pair (the place sent me like 5 of them for some reason so I have spares) and somehow guessed the right one first try and fixed it with only one chip...I added a socket for that chip while I was in there so if it dies again it'll take half the time to change it.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 05-30-2023, 03:28 PM
JohnCT's Avatar
JohnCT JohnCT is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
They're driver chips for the scanning, HV and IIRC switch mode supplies. They tend to fail every so many years.

My DA4 chassis HD-CRT Sony has 2 of them and one blew leaving me with a dead set a few years ago...I ordered a new pair (the place sent me like 5 of them for some reason so I have spares) and somehow guessed the right one first try and fixed it with only one chip...I added a socket for that chip while I was in there so if it dies again it'll take half the time to change it.
IIRC, the one closest to the flyback was the trouble maker, the other would last virtually forever.

One of the easy ways to troubleshoot them was to heat them with the back of a soldering and apply AC - if it started, the chip was bad. Thermal intermittents are such a time saver.

John

Last edited by JohnCT; 08-21-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2023, 03:47 PM
ARC Tech-109 ARC Tech-109 is offline
Retired Batwings Tech
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
IIRC, the one closest to the flyback was the trouble maker, the other would last virtually forever.

One of the easy ways to troubleshoot them was to heat them with the back of a soldering and apply AC - if it started, the chip was bad. Thermal intermittents are such a time saver.

John
John
Depending on which way the intermittent went.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2023, 09:05 AM
JohnCT's Avatar
JohnCT JohnCT is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Tech-109 View Post
Depending on which way the intermittent went.
In the case of the MCZ chips, they always responded to heat. Icing them after they were working would cause a shutdown. Very handy.

John
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2023, 02:58 PM
Telecolor 3007's Avatar
Telecolor 3007 Telecolor 3007 is offline
I love old stuff
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 2,123
But why "Sony" used bad MCZ chips and the competion made better chassies?
__________________
OLD, but ORIGINAL, not Made in CHINA.
Sailor Moon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-01-2023, 09:46 AM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
But why "Sony" used bad MCZ chips and the competion made better chassies?
Could be many reasons. And I never was told by Sony what was going
on them. Either they didnt know or mods were to extensive.
Panasonic had a similar dog apx 1990. SMPS IC's were going. There
was a big kit. If you changed it & it blew again they would buy the set back.
Too bad, it was the TOTL set & had an awesome pix.

BTW after the first few generations of Sony they were just average reliability.
They got easy to fix & very predictable. Toward the end of CRT's they
got quite unreliable especially FBT's & CRT's

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 06-01-2023, 10:00 AM
JohnCT's Avatar
JohnCT JohnCT is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
But why "Sony" used bad MCZ chips and the competion made better chassies?
The chips were made by shindengen (sp?) and Sony just bought them as several companies like Hitachi and possibly Toshiba did (not sure about Toshiba, it's been many years now).

The Sonys that used the MCZ chips were not "bad" chassis specificaly, but most of the trouble we had with that chassis series was the MCZ chips, but there were also two 200V plus electrolytics on that board we used to change at the same time.

Since Hitachi had less trouble with those chips and since the Sony used two and only one near the flyback was really the one that generally failed, I think the circuit that the chip was installed in was somehow tougher on the MCZ than it should have been, but Sony never issued a bulletin for a circuit change that would increase the life time. In any case, it didn't affect every Sony and most of them were at least a few years old when they failed.

John
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-07-2023, 06:15 AM
Alex KL-1 Alex KL-1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Brazil (Paraná)
Posts: 515
Ops, I posted in the wrong thread......
__________________
So many projects, so little time...

Last edited by Alex KL-1; 06-07-2023 at 06:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-19-2023, 12:46 PM
Popester's Avatar
Popester Popester is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 407
I think Sony was a very well made solid state built tv from when Trinitron first came out. I liked the cabinet designs from ‘68 up till about late ‘70’s. I didn’t care for their design when they had the SG613 gate that would destroy many components. TV service guys hated those chassis. You had to replace with genuine OEM part. But that said, they made sets that generally needed less service than American made brands. When I worked at the tv shop we sold RCA, Zenith, and Sony TV’s. Sony sets always out performed Zenith, but they were a close second and RCA was third for reliability. I hated the flyback problems the CTC 120 had. Memory fuzzy it might have been CTC 124. It was the flyback that was made in Mexico that they discovered the windings were wound too tight. I remember the TSG (technical service bulletin) that had you use a light bulb brought up with a variac to determine if you had a shorted flyback
__________________
Sony Trinitron is my favorite brand.
My wish list:
Sony KV-7010U
Sony KV-1220U
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-20-2023, 09:20 AM
Colly0410 Colly0410 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hucknall, Nottingham, England.
Posts: 257
My parents had a Sony KV 1800 in 1972/73, it was still working perfect when Mam died in 1994, my sister then had it for a few years, it never conked out. I remember back then British made TV's would conk out on a regular basis. Cant ever remember brown outs, we'd have the odd power cut though...
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.