Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The EIAJ connector has a completely different pinout/signal set on that TV than the one on your Umatic does. The Umatic has 4 signal lines in it: (composite)Video in (Composite) Video out, Audio in, Audio out....That Monitor has a different 4 lines: Red video, Blue video, Green video, Sync...If you were to plug your umatic into that set it would not work.
My U-Matic has the identical EIAJ connector with "monitor" stamped above it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Titan1a Titan1a is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Plattsmouth, NE 68048
Posts: 738
I have a Sears RGB monitor with EIAJ connector. Monitor is Philips made.
__________________
Rick (Sparks) Ethridge
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:25 PM
user181 user181 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 462
1986 Sears LXI 20" with Nudes

Here's a link to the Photofact:

https://www.samswebsite.com/en/photo...ndex/id/161680

It's $22.00 for a PDF download, or a couple bucks more if you want to buy a hard copy. Not cheap-cheap, but it's hardly an arm-and-a-leg, either. Especially if you don't get any other leads on it.

I've bought a couple Photofacts from them over the years and can vouch that it's legitimate and works as advertised. They were responsive to me when I had an issue with readability in one place, and they ended up rescanning the whole thing at much better resolution for me.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
I'm not familiar with the electron theory but negative on the electrolytic capacitors goes to ground; hooked up the other way they go poof.

Chances are you'll eventually tear up something, or at least do a sloppy job and want to re-do it eventually, I did quite a bit in the early stages of the learning process. By the way I always use 105 degree Nichicon capacitors. Avoid oddly-branded Chinese caps at all cost.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-23-2017, 04:14 PM
CRTs4life CRTs4life is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
I'm not tearing anything up if I can at all help it.
The reference to electron theory vs conventional theory is about the direction electrons flow. + to - or - to +. Convincing arguements both ways.
Anyway,...not that relevant I guess.
I'm familiar with Nichicon, Rubycon, etc. I am a career master auto tech and I never use cheap parts if there is any way at all possible not to.
I bought several of the pre-made cap kits for my old videogame consoles and recently I discovered a depot place in Fla. that sells caps (not cheap ones) in bulk. So I am good to go in that dept. after buying a huge assortment priced right.

P.S.- I will post pix of the Sega running when I get this figured out.

Last edited by CRTs4life; 12-23-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 12-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTs4life View Post
I'm familiar with Nichicon, Rubycon, etc. I am a career master auto tech and I never use cheap parts if there is any way at all possible not to.
Ah, an excellent head start there. I hadn't done a whole lot with a soldering iron before starting in TVs. I too avoid any cheap parts like the plague.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2025, 01:14 PM
Count Zero Count Zero is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2025
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTs4life View Post
I'm not tearing anything up if I can at all help it.
The reference to electron theory vs conventional theory is about the direction electrons flow. + to - or - to +. Convincing arguements both ways.
Anyway,...not that relevant I guess.
I'm familiar with Nichicon, Rubycon, etc. I am a career master auto tech and I never use cheap parts if there is any way at all possible not to.
I bought several of the pre-made cap kits for my old videogame consoles and recently I discovered a depot place in Fla. that sells caps (not cheap ones) in bulk. So I am good to go in that dept. after buying a huge assortment priced right.

P.S.- I will post pix of the Sega running when I get this figured out.
Hi, did you ever get this EIAJ connector sorted out? I have a Sears LXI model 564-40843652 that I’m interested in utilizing that port for analog video.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-17-2025, 04:40 PM
Count Zero Count Zero is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2025
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTs4life View Post

P.S.- I will post pix of the Sega running when I get this figured out.
Did you ever try this out?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-17-2025, 08:48 PM
vol.2's Avatar
vol.2 vol.2 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
Did you ever try this out?
I think you probably missed it, but he did actually reply to this above:

Quote:
The LXI tv is actually advertised as a tv&monitor. See pic.
And,.... the input is digital rgb, so Sega, etc. unfortunately are not compatible.
So I guess that means it's a no-go. Digital RGB is CGA or EGA (in 15kHz modes) essentially. Can't do NTSC/PAL through that connector.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-24-2017, 09:35 PM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I'm not familiar with the electron theory but negative on the electrolytic capacitors goes to ground; hooked up the other way they go poof.

Chances are you'll eventually tear up something, or at least do a sloppy job and want to re-do it eventually, I did quite a bit in the early stages of the learning process. By the way I always use 105 degree Nichicon capacitors. Avoid oddly-branded Chinese caps at all cost.
Hi Jon
In this case the caps are for "coupling". They pass the "AC" part of the
signal & block DC. Caps to ground are usually for "decoupling".
They pass varying signals to ground to keep B+ lines as clean as needed.
They "save" voltage & let it go when needed as the B+ sinks.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-25-2017, 02:08 AM
Jon A.'s Avatar
Jon A. Jon A. is offline
Don't mess with Esther.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Hi Jon
In this case the caps are for "coupling". They pass the "AC" part of the
signal & block DC. Caps to ground are usually for "decoupling".
They pass varying signals to ground to keep B+ lines as clean as needed.
They "save" voltage & let it go when needed as the B+ sinks.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Ah yes, that first part occurred to me not long after making that post, I thought it an odd place to use an electrolytic. The "negative towards the TV" part threw me at first.

I can hardly wait to get restarted on my own set's repairs, the weird waveform on the convergence board has me stumped at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2025, 03:22 PM
Count Zero Count Zero is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2025
Posts: 7
Hi, I got the pinout from here: https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/man...%20Pinouts.jpg someone posted it earlier on in this thread.

Was just curious if anyone has been successful in using this port for RGB input and if so how the cable connection process works.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2025, 04:24 PM
vol.2's Avatar
vol.2 vol.2 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
Hi, I got the pinout from here: https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/man...%20Pinouts.jpg someone posted it earlier on in this thread.

Was just curious if anyone has been successful in using this port for RGB input and if so how the cable connection process works.
I do use one with my Sony CPD-9000. It works very, very well. They made cables that go from EIAJ (which is what is on the LXI) to DE9 (which is the same as CGA/EGA).

Of course, it would depend on what your source was. Now that you have the pinout, you just make the outputs go to your inputs.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-16-2025, 09:23 PM
CRTs4life CRTs4life is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vol.2 View Post
I do use one with my Sony CPD-9000. It works very, very well. They made cables that go from EIAJ (which is what is on the LXI) to DE9 (which is the same as CGA/EGA).

Of course, it would depend on what your source was. Now that you have the pinout, you just make the outputs go to your inputs.
Just curious. What kind of setup (rig) do you have for your monitor?
Classic IBM compatible DOS? Amiga?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-16-2025, 11:14 PM
vol.2's Avatar
vol.2 vol.2 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTs4life View Post
Just curious. What kind of setup (rig) do you have for your monitor?
Classic IBM compatible DOS? Amiga?
I have that particular monitor being fed by a Chromecast through an HDMI->VGA adapter, and the to an Extron VPS700 to get 480i output (resized to fit properly and comb filtered) so that I can watch old 4:3 TV shows in the kitchen.

No joke.

I don't actually keep much in the way of old computers going tbh. I own a couple old 486 things, but I really never use them. As far as I'm concerned, the only important part is that I can use the correct monitors and the correct keyboards. The rest is just an inconvenience.

I grew up with a XT, playing old Sierra games on a 9" amber monitor through a Hercules card. Then a 386SX and a VGA monitor. both were huge steps up from the last, but they were still so unbelievably slow.

I was so happy to get rid of those old things and move onto something that was more capable that I don't really get what people are so happy about messing with them anymore. Yes, I had plenty of fun with them, but I already did that. I don't see an imperative reason to dial the clock back to inconvenience myself with that stuff again when I have great new stuff I can use with emulation.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.