Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2017, 10:48 AM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
The B&W RCA tube tested weak, all I did was use the Auto Restore feature on the Sencore CR70 and it came back perfectly. The Zenith Thithtem Thwee is actually woodgwain, not white.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-05-2017, 11:07 AM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Ah, woodgwain eh? Yep that is the common color around here for that set, too.

I haven't had the best of luck rejuvenating these 12ers.. Usually they would come up like new and fad quickly with normal use.. Have recently exhibited this in a '74 Panasonic(which instant-on likely killed) and many others over the years.
Folks around here used these little sets as kitchen TVs apparently right up into the DTV transition. They were wildly popular and often have dead crts. FWIW, I use B and K testers/restorers exclusively, with the 466 being my go-to for most monochrome sets.
Regarding 'wrapping' the filament-Since the majority of SS chassis use fly derived filament supply, if you carefully put a couple of turns of addt'l wire around the flyback core and connect in unison to the existing hookup, you theoretically increase the typical 6.3v value by a volt or two. It can certainly open the filament if you go too wild with it. I average 8.something volts to elicit a brighter raster without blowing the tube open. I would not recommend this on a valuable set but it is a fine trick for the run o the mill jap 12" b/w..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2017, 11:15 AM
WISCOJIM WISCOJIM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grand Chute, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
Regarding 'wrapping' the filament-Since the majority of SS chassis use fly derived filament supply, if you carefully put a couple of turns of addt'l wire around the flyback core and connect in unison to the existing hookup, you theoretically increase the typical 6.3v value by a volt or two. It can certainly open the filament if you go too wild with it. I average 8.something volts to elicit a brighter raster without blowing the tube open. I would not recommend this on a valuable set but it is a fine trick for the run o the mill jap 12" b/w..
Okay. It originally sounded like you wrapped a couple turns around the neck of the CRT. Couldn't make any sense of that.

.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2017, 11:24 AM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Oops yeah I should have been more clear.
Back to the original post, What did the CTC-117 need? Only issues I've seen on that one were the metal filter can cap being marginal..that would cause a wavy pattern in the video. The crts that went into those early eighties color RCAs were pretty damn good in my opinion. My ctc-97 19" from '80 has many hours on it and looks fantastic still. someof the late seventies RCAs had really bad tubes however..had an old '77 CTC-89 with a stone cold dead blue gun and weak r and g as well. In fact, I am unsure when ColorTrak came out but the earliest ones all had guns with lost emissivity to the point where they couldn't be lined-up for proper monochrome pix. By the eighties (til say '85) I never saw substantial RCA weak tube syndrome
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2017, 03:32 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
The CTC-107 (not 117) works, it's just really dirty and the side is slightly melted.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 PM
sampson159's Avatar
sampson159 sampson159 is offline
sampson159
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: columbus,ohio
Posts: 2,170
there was a shop aprox 1 block from us.they would wrap every picture tube on every set.offered a 49.00 crt replacement.we got more than half of them in our shop.they were in business about 4 to 5 years before they shut down.some of those had 4 to 5 wraps on the flyback.many good crts were ruined by this practice.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-06-2017, 09:47 AM
zeno's Avatar
zeno zeno is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,918
Crazy. We did some wraps & filament resistor jumps but only
the last resort. Best thing is it got the sets out of the
shop instead of abandoned...........

73 Zeno
LFOD !


Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
there was a shop aprox 1 block from us.they would wrap every picture tube on every set.offered a 49.00 crt replacement.we got more than half of them in our shop.they were in business about 4 to 5 years before they shut down.some of those had 4 to 5 wraps on the flyback.many good crts were ruined by this practice.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Zenith26kc20's Avatar
Zenith26kc20 Zenith26kc20 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 857
The vertical on the 86 is usually caused by bad 220K resistors on the vertical module. Change all of them. That set can produce an incredible picture when working right. We rarely saw those in here. If we did, it was vertical and tuner.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2017, 11:35 AM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
The vertical on the 86 is usually caused by bad 220K resistors on the vertical module. Change all of them. That set can produce an incredible picture when working right. We rarely saw those in here. If we did, it was vertical and tuner.
Thanks for letting me know. I was thinking it was a shorted transistor.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Zenith26kc20's Avatar
Zenith26kc20 Zenith26kc20 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 857
Boy do I remember the early cable boxes. More than the Oak had 60 volts on them. I got to the point where I would "scratch" the cable on the F connector to see if a small spark appeared. If not, the customer wondered why the tech would jump when connecting them.
Overall, the 86 and the 40 were just about my favorite solid state RCA TV's. I always liked working on the 86. Also, I never remember changing a tripler in any. Zenith ate the lions share of triplers. Especially the wonderful early selenium ones!
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 PM
TUD1 TUD1 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,616
Put a new vertical module in the CTC-86 today. Still no vertical sweep. Now I'm thinking the yoke is bad.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Zenith26kc20's Avatar
Zenith26kc20 Zenith26kc20 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 857
I may be remembering the wrong set, but look for a four tab electrolytic that is above ground and usually gray plastic covered. If I remember right, that set has a vertical output coupling capacitor. I remember changing a few. It may be hiding under the chassis and be a regular looking cap but I remember the twist lok....... I'll have to dig out a schematic when I get to the shop tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.