Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2015, 10:20 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

This may sound nutty, but I'd keep the button panels.....And I'd fit a VCR in with the loading mech pointed out the back. ....
I'd use a DVD player, and use the luma video output (either the green jack on the "component video" outputs (set it to 480i) or the luma line of an S video output jack. Then I'd feed this to the video amp of the TV set (skipping over the tuner and IF) and do likewise with the audio.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2015, 10:49 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
My 2Cents (or less) worth: I think that it would ruin the effect that (I think) you are after if you install a modern player of any sort *inside* the cabinet, even if it is hidden away in the back. I'm guessing that you would want to be able to look in from the back and see nothing but vintage parts and warm, glowing tubes.

jr
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2015, 04:47 AM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
My 2Cents (or less) worth: I think that it would ruin the effect that (I think) you are after if you install a modern player of any sort *inside* the cabinet, even if it is hidden away in the back. I'm guessing that you would want to be able to look in from the back and see nothing but vintage parts and warm, glowing tubes.

jr
Exactly, which is why I had thought of an outboard audio amplifier. More tubes!

Another consideration is the knobs. And do I really want to use that big channel knob escutcheon on this set?



It may seem like that can be thought about later, but I have to cut the new holes in the cabinet before I mount anything, and the depth and style of the knobs will dictate the hole sizes.
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2015, 07:21 AM
init4fun's Avatar
init4fun init4fun is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,210
Tim , If you do this right and really make it look good , some day 50 or so years from now it's gonna end up on the bay , selling as ; "Super rare Zenith prototype TV !" and someones gonna pay Gigabuck$ for it
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2015, 08:17 AM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
When Bryan Gadow brought me that cabinet for you, I was sure there was a plan. I figured a 7-inch CRT was a bolt-in but the big chassis may need to go vertical. The speaker opening was 8 inch, this Zenith was not TOTL for sure.
The veneer work is not too difficult. I guess that teletone cabinet is not worth saving, huh.
__________________
"When resistors increase in value, they're worthless"
-Dave G
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 09-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
When Bryan Gadow brought me that cabinet for you, I was sure there was a plan. I figured a 7-inch CRT was a bolt-in but the big chassis may need to go vertical. The speaker opening was 8 inch, this Zenith was not TOTL for sure.
The veneer work is not too difficult. I guess that teletone cabinet is not worth saving, huh.
The Tele-Tone cabinet came apart in my hands readily, and all the glue from the plywood had separated. Shot. Although I did save some of the veneer for future piecing in to other sets if needed, and saved the front so I could use it as a template for the knob holes.

I have no intentions of moving the controls around on the chassis....so I'll just work with what I have, although I may end up lowering the former radio chassis shelf.

And as you can see, just enough room in there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6397.jpg (62.0 KB, 86 views)
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,478
Could mount the player below the chassis deck and print a Zenith Wavemagnet antenna box on card stock to conceal the non-empty-state electronics inside of. The appeal of not using a DVD player is that you are not limited to only DVDs as program material....If it were me making this, that would drive me nuts.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2015, 12:51 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
You may be able to reposition the controls that use pots (contrast, brightness, vert hold, horiz hold). The tuner (channel selector) looks like it would not be repositionable. But if you build a new mounting for the pots you should be able to make use of the existing holes in the cabinet. And add a third hole symmetrically opposite the existing hole on the lower right. And another hole for the tuner.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-26-2015, 09:46 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
Really glad to see this coming together! I wasn't sure if the cabinet had made it to NY yet or not. I had also thought of doing this myself but I have enough projects. I kinda hated to part out the Zenith but it wasn't mint and it was actually worth more in parts. Both the chassis and speaker found good homes. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,109
I shelved the project for a couple months until the snow flies. It's going to be a really fun winter project, first thing I have to do is restore the Tele-Tone chassis. Once I get that up to working condition, getting the proper fitment with the controls won't be too bad. I'll just use the old cabinet front from the Tele-Tone as a template for making the proper holes in the cabinet.

Right now I'm just finishing up a GE 801, a 1949 Philco AM/FM radio for a friend, an 8TS30, and getting the vehicles and house ready for winter.
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,109
Started playing around with this the other day. Looking pretty good!! I carefully cut the holes for the tuner shafts and jigged the chassis in. I had some leftover Admiral labels, so I added them to the cabinet for control labeling.

All I did with the cabinet was re-glue every loose joint, then scrub it down with white Goop hand cleaner and a toothbrush. Rather than refinish it, I'll wipe it down with a little stain and leave it as is, to give it an "authentic" look

Now, for the extra holes.....the one on the right I'm just going to leave there as it's not terribly noticeable. For the center, I was going to move the focus control for the set to that position, but decided instead to put some kind of really neat pilot light there, or maybe a Zenith nameplate off of something of the era if I can get one.

Have to come up with some type of knob arrangement too, and of course the chassis restoration. But I gotta say, I love looking at this thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6951.jpg (54.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6953.jpg (76.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6936.jpg (88.4 KB, 57 views)
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-30-2015, 07:01 AM
vts1134's Avatar
vts1134 vts1134 is offline
Looking For Time
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,534
Now I know I've seen that before... .



__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-30-2015, 07:03 AM
Kamakiri's Avatar
Kamakiri Kamakiri is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 5,109
The heck kinda set is that?
__________________
"Restoring a tube TV is like going to war. A color one is like a land war in Asia."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-30-2015, 11:17 AM
vts1134's Avatar
vts1134 vts1134 is offline
Looking For Time
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,534
Andrea 1F5.
__________________
John
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-31-2015, 08:08 AM
decojoe67's Avatar
decojoe67 decojoe67 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
Andrea 1F5.
A very historically significant, rare, and valuable set too. Easily $10K plus. The only commercially sold pre-war 5" tabletop set with an audio section that I'm aware of. The one pictured is very nice, but needs that sharp-looking "Andrea-Radio Television" decal above the screen to really be complete.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.