Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 AM
CoogarXR's Avatar
CoogarXR CoogarXR is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 641
I shipped a porthole with uship. I was the sender, so I was responsible for the packing, which is probably 75% of the battle. I put it on a skid, bubble wrapped it twice, built a box over it, bubble wrapped that, then shrink wrapped it. Then I put some L-shaped corner pieces on the top and strapped it to the pallet. Then I sat back and bit my nails until I heard from the buyer

All went well though. It arrived with no damage.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 AM
vts1134's Avatar
vts1134 vts1134 is offline
Looking For Time
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,534
I've used Uship before and was happy with the results. I sent you the direct email for the guy I used. The set I purchased wasn't packed at all. Glen (the shipper) blanket wrapped the set and it arrived in Pittsburgh just as it left.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Well, Shit...SOOOO close...
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Dave S's Avatar
Dave S Dave S is offline
<-- Me and my "first" TV
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Well, Shit...SOOOO close...
I will rationalize this loss, and console myself with the fact that this set was a very close match, but wasn't 100% the exact same model. Our set had that blonde finish that was popular back then (there was a name for that finish that I'm not recalling) and as far as I recall, it didn't have a UHF tuner (or maybe we just didn't have any UHF stations!)
__________________
.
Visit the New Jersey Antique Radio Club. See some of my collection
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2013, 06:25 PM
CoogarXR's Avatar
CoogarXR CoogarXR is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 641
Awww. I'll keep an eye out around here too. I never see much though. I have had to drive over 100 miles for both my sets.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 PM
ggregg's Avatar
ggregg ggregg is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 702
I've driven 8 hours one way for the right set.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 AM
electroking's Avatar
electroking electroking is offline
a- v- karma member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal (QC), Canada
Posts: 743
Sorry to hear that, I thought the deal was already closed and you were just looking
for a carrier. Good luck, you may eventually find something even nicer...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Dave S's Avatar
Dave S Dave S is offline
<-- Me and my "first" TV
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroking View Post
Sorry to hear that, I thought the deal was already closed and you were just looking
for a carrier. Good luck, you may eventually find something even nicer...
Yeah, I was too cautious, and banking on the fact that no one but me would be silly enough to want that particular set.

dieseljeep: it could very well be as early as '52. I have that information here somewhere. But I'm certain it's a 21" tube.
__________________
.
Visit the New Jersey Antique Radio Club. See some of my collection
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
Take a look here:
http://tvhistory.tv/1953-Motorola-Brochure.JPG
To me (judging from the Knob spacing vs width of the CRT), the Avatar set is looking more like a 17".

jr
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Dave S's Avatar
Dave S Dave S is offline
<-- Me and my "first" TV
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
To me (judging from the Knob spacing vs width of the CRT), the Avatar set is looking more like a 17".
My goodness jr, I think you're right!

Keep in mind that to a kid that sat there with his nose practically pressed up against the TV, a 17" screen would have looked pretty huge!
__________________
.
Visit the New Jersey Antique Radio Club. See some of my collection
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #11  
Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
Keep in mind that to a kid that sat there with his nose practically pressed up against the TV, a 17" screen would have looked pretty huge!
I remember all those *8 foot snowdrifts* from childhood, that we don't seem to get any more!

One thing that puzzles me about the avatar set is the aspect ratio of the CRT, which measures more like 6x9 rather than 4x3. Did the pix get stretched, or is this some strange rendering of the avatar on my system?

jr
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
If that TV was bought in Northern Jersey, it very likely did not have UHF. Nothing sold within 50 miles of Philly had UHF either
It was a floor model, right? My first set was a Motorola, 10 years newer and I never saw another like it.
But I will keep an eye out for one like yours. Motorolas seemed to sell well here despite RCA having a CRT factory in town.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-2013, 02:08 PM
rojoknox rojoknox is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 18
Greetings from FixitLand!

I am following this thread with interest. Like Dave S., my "first TV" in 1970 was a 1953 Motorola (in my case, a 17F13 radio-TV-phono in the limed-oak cabinet; TV Chassis TS-401) given me by family friends. The phono in that rig was a funky triangular-shaped unit with a large record-support shelf that slid in and out for different-sized records. Unfortunately, the radio chassis and speaker had been removed; getting the set operational again was daunting for a 15-year-old! (Had to learn about "electro-dynamic speakers.") But the TV did play again, and ran until 1975 when I parted it out (wish I hadn't now! but I likely still have most of the tubes). Had a visible ion burn, but no brightener. The picture tube was a 17LP4 cylindrical-face tube, and it did seem to have a slightly wider pic than other tubes of its size. It's a touch more rectangular than most of its contemporaries. My Zenith K1846R has the same tube. The set was purchased new in the Portland, Oregon area, and at that time the only channel available here was KPTV Ch. 27, so it had a factory UHF tuner (which I never got to use, since Ch. 27 merged with KLOR Ch. 12 in 1958 and UHF went dark in Portland until 1982). The VHF tuner was wafer-switch-style rather than the turret type. High-voltage cage is built into the chassis rather than sitting proud on top of the chassis as with most sets. The set also uses selenium rectifiers, so beware...<grin!>

Good luck with your search...

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.