Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 AM
snelson903 snelson903 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: mishawaka indiana
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Didn't ya know? That light goes away and hides in the refrigerator.
when i was a little kid ,i seen who turned the light in the refrigerator ,it was a old man with a long beard walk over a flipped off the switch, it had a window in the door .[ it was on the bugs bunny cartoon hour , thing's in the future cartoon or something like that. ]
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Magnavox300's Avatar
Magnavox300 Magnavox300 is offline
..better in black & white
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 288
"Invasion Of the Body Snatchers", with Kevin Mccarthy.
Best Sci-Fi of all time, I think anyway....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 AM
Combwork's Avatar
Combwork Combwork is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kirriemuir, Scotland
Posts: 82
Missed One.ne

How could I possibly have forgotten that all time classic, BARBARELLA?
__________________
Home brew & Hi-Fi. Quietly decomposing in the Scottish countryside.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
"Science Fiction, Double Feature. Dr X will build a Creature...See androids fighting Brad 'n' Janet...Anne Francis stars in "Forbidden Planet"....." ROCKY HORROR !! (grin)
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 AM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
If we're talking 1950's here I'd go with War of the Worlds or The day the Earth Stood Still.
YES YES YES! Both of these films are incredible on a big theatre screen!!

I also love Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

Forbidden Planet, in my opinion, while still loaded with great effects, suffers from the Walter Pigeon syndrome... a bit pompous in it's delivery.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is no slouch either.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 AM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
How could I possibly have forgotten that all time classic, BARBARELLA?
Hmmm. Let me get my tongue-box for this one.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
How could I possibly have forgotten that all time classic, BARBARELLA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
Hmmm. Let me get my tongue-box for this one.
Funny you mentioned it, I watched it last week, found it on Amazon Streaming Video when I was browsing for something to see.

Barbarella is an amazing film, a true classic, not sure I'd really consider it true Sci-Fi, more like 60's LSD Camp.

Take a close look at the sets on that film sometime, they are wonderfully imaginative, the opening sequence with Barbarella taking off the Space Suit is really good, they did the weightlessness effect quite well.

Duran Duran (the band) took their name from this movie obviously.

I'm sure it was quite a "Trip" back in 69, no doubt 75% of the audience was Fried, the same can be said for 2001 though.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
for innovation I would go with "2001 a space odyssey" def a lot of drug use was going on a the movies when that came out. the use of classical music was something new if I recall correctly.


Also the spagetti sci fi classic, "planet of vampires" was a VERY good one, I remember going to see it with bottle caps for entry during matinee showings on Saturday mornings in the late 60's.

Some folks claim "Aliens" ripped them off.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Username1's Avatar
Username1 Username1 is offline
Not sure how I got here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 3,656
I agree with all mentioned, especially forbidden planet, Invasion of the body snatchers, Terminator, T2. But for me I add Soylent Green, and I also think its the only Sci-Fi that has a growing chance of actually coming true one day.
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,571
Soylent green....is....people !!.....
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Eric H's Avatar
Eric H Eric H is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: So. Calif
Posts: 11,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
But for me I add Soylent Green, and I also think its the only Sci-Fi that has a growing chance of actually coming true one day.
Oh it has, perhaps you've heard of, Taco Bell?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
I remember Soylent Green, I liked the furniture....

anyway I never got what the problem was, seems they had a perfect solution to the food shortage.


How about logan's run? I always liked that movie as well. Back in college we had wed nite outdoor movies in the student center during the summer session. I recall seeing Logan's run one nite. Its really fun seeing old Sci Fi on an outdoor screen.

How many of you remember going to drive ins on a regular basis. Remember the kiddie playgrounds in the back? the dorky intros to the movie and the selling of pop corn ads they would play during intermission.

I really miss the drive ins, the last one I saw was in the very early 80's, they had it for a 5$ car load and the movie was star wars, which has to rank right up there with one of the best.

Back in the early 70's I recall going to an air conditioned drive in, something like 20 screens, it was HUGE down where the current Ft laud airport now exist.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
I worked at a drive in for a bunch of years. Ran the films on 2 projectors, and built the shows.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:58 PM
DaveWM DaveWM is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 5,607
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/24521

oh well thought it had 20, it was still big. I had a lot of good times there.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-01-2012, 02:36 PM
JerryDen JerryDen is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
How could I forget, "Back to the Future" which is Sci-Fi despite it's comic undertones (or are they overtones?)

I saw it about 13 times in the Theater and several times since on Video.
I just watched the first half of this movie. This movie was ok. But was not mind blowing which i was excepting.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.