Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
It looked fine to me. Just checked when cleaning the tv.

I'm running it now to warm it up since cleaning it. I did notice a fuses solder joint was rusted so I reflowed it. I didn't have solder with me though so I reflowed what was there. Someone stole my role of solder.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Username1's Avatar
Username1 Username1 is offline
Not sure how I got here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County NY
Posts: 3,656
you know I vacuum out all the dust in my old transistor sets like that one each year before the summer humidity, especially around the flyback. Use vacuum & paint brush to brush off the dust. pc board too, tube, and tube socket and the electronics on the tube socket too. It looks very clean around r-514, looks like the flyback has not been touched in my opinion. I bet it will run for years, keep it dust free, and keep the brightness below half to keep the tube from over driving and make it last longer. Nice set. I have a few mid 80's Sharp sets they are really good sets.
__________________
Yes you can call me "Squirrel boy"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
Hope it lasts. :P

This is as good as I could clean it, using a paint brush.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMG_0366.jpg

Not perfect but better than before..

EDIT: The picture still flickers in the dark regions.. Argh! I can't think of what it could be

Last edited by lnx64; 04-26-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Electronic M's Avatar
Electronic M Electronic M is offline
M is for Memory
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pewaukee/Delafield Wi
Posts: 15,478
Cold solder joints have always plagued PCBs. Touching up the soldering might help if that is the issue.
__________________
Tom C.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
I really think it is a cold solder joint.. Problem is, I can't find which one, and I don't have the patience to do every single one.

Anyone in Florida willing to help me out?

The crackling does appear to be gone though..
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 AM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
Ok, so since cleaning, the brightness itself isn't going crazy anymore, and the crackling sound has gotten very quiet now (i can still faintly hear it but not as bad).

But, the picture still occasionally has a bright flash in certain horizontal parts of the picture. It's different every time. This only occurs when it warms up though, not when cold.

Earlier I tried tapping parts of the board with a stick but it seemed to have no affect in showing any parts with cold solder joints.

I managed to capture the flicker on video via my iPhone and this is how fast it flashes and it does this as often as every 8 seconds. Each picture is a frame in the video, so at 30fps, it was only 2 frames it showed up.

First frame is before the flash even appears.





EDIT: I take that back. It's crackling in the back again. It's just so hard to hear it though, has to be a quiet room, but it does do it, and now the flickering is once every couple seconds..

Here's a recording of the crackling.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yhz99rx9qr7pwqg

It seems to correspond to the flashing on the TV. The louder the crackle, the more flashing.

Last edited by lnx64; 04-27-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
I didn't have solder with me though so I reflowed what was there. Someone stole my role of solder.[/QUOTE]

For what that stuff costs today, you have to keep it in a safe.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 AM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
Especially my non-lead free solder. I don't like lead free solder..

I made a video btw showing the flashing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VU97yfXScE

Hopefully this can be easily solved, but if not, what kind of flyback can I install in it? I can't find any OEM flybacks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 AM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
Anyone in Florida willing to help me out? I just don't have time to do this.

I'll buy you lunch, a good lunch..

Also, is it possible, that the flybacks anode wire, running across the back of the CRT resting on the aquadag coating, like it is in the pics, be causing this whole problem? Should it be standed off? If so, where can I get those spacer things I see on newer CRT's.

Last edited by lnx64; 04-29-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:25 AM
mrflex65's Avatar
mrflex65 mrflex65 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: N.C.
Posts: 137
Can you tell where the arcing is coming from? Flyback?Maybe the anode cap perhaps?Could even be bad solder joints arcing underneath around the flyback. Could even be in between the flyback and the pcb.Can you pull the board and get better pics of the flyback area?
__________________

"IPC 610 Class E & J STD-001 Certified"
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
Thats the problem, I can't tell where the arcing is coming from. I'll try to get better pics when I have it opened next.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
OK here you go. I also installed some spacers on the anode wire since I was concerned about how it was just riding along the aquadag.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...on/TV%20Board/

I also accidentally broke off a corner of the board (and I feel like CRAP about that, I hadn't noticed when I was holding the board the corner fell into a slot on the back cover), but it appears to still be working fine despite that broken corner.

EDIT: Oh, and it's flyback transformer is a FCM-2015AL.. I see only one on eBay that claims "Genuine" but I don't have any way to tell if it IS genuine.

EDIT: With standoffs, still doing it when warmed up.. I'm going to get a rubber tube and try to "listen" for where this crackle is, cause it is related to the flashing.. The crackling comes when the flashing does.

Last edited by lnx64; 04-29-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:56 PM
tvcollector's Avatar
tvcollector tvcollector is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 1,613
I have a portable Samsung from around this era, and I notice the flyback transformer is a bit loud, like it's about to go Kaboom! I had a quasar from the early 80s go up like fireworks back in the early 90s. We were watching it, all of a sudden we heard a loud bang (Like lighting a bottle rocket fire cracker off), picture went blank and we smelled this odd odor..

Last edited by tvcollector; 04-29-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
Well here's the weird thing, that crackling I'm hearing, it is not coming from within the flyback. I used my bamboo tipped stethoscope, and I can hear the ticking from the high voltage, but not that random crackling chatter. So it's coming from somewhere else..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM
lnx64's Avatar
lnx64 lnx64 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Posts: 1,787
I have found the location of the crackling!

I was only probing one part of the flyback, but not other parts, then I found it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...blecrackle.jpg

Sooooooo, flyback?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.