Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
That is a neat set. I had a 1952 17" GE that required very little work to get going. You're lucky those tubes were bad or else the HV would have fired up before it should have. That set is built like a tank . I think GE started using PC boards in '56 or so, very un-tank like.

That two-tap transformer is also a great feature, especially since everybody is running at 120+ these days.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 04-23-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
SOMETHING bad happened if the damper, horizontal output, AND vertical output are all cracked. When the getter flash goes white, it usually means that air got into the tube.

Best of luck with them. Even with the new tubes, I wouldn't try running it without new capacitors.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM
tvcollector's Avatar
tvcollector tvcollector is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 1,613
The glass on one of them is broken.. Looks like it was something more physical..

Last edited by tvcollector; 04-23-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
That set uses dip soldering. Check the board in the HV compartment. I saw a few that were arc damaged.
PS, the tubes mentioned in an earlier post are different variations of the same tube. The GTA or GTB, being the latest version.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 PM
stromberg6's Avatar
stromberg6 stromberg6 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Ellington,CT
Posts: 465
Smile

Looks like a "DeLuxe" chassis, and I really like the way the tube connections are brought to the top of the chassis for ease of voltage checks, etc. I've been looking at some GE schematics lately, and have found an appreciation of some of their circuit designs, and chassis layouts. I have only two Portacolors, and a small 11 inch B/W "Personal Portable" that needs a CRT. Think I'll look for an older GE to "play" with.
Happy for your find !! best of luck with it !
__________________
stromberg6
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 AM
tvcollector's Avatar
tvcollector tvcollector is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 1,613
Replaced the horizontal out and the damper tube, got a raster now, a nice horizontal line, until my vertical out tube arrives.. Looks like this thing is going to run without any maintenance..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Dont run it with that line. You can easily burn a line in the phosphors. If you insist on running it, and I would, turn the brightness way down.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
earlyfilm's Avatar
earlyfilm earlyfilm is offline
Eternal Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
...The guy said two months ago before he moved into the new house, it had a picture......

...the Hor out, Damp and the Ver out are completely bad with white blown mark on the tubes.....

Replaced the horizontal out and the damper tube, got a raster now, a nice horizontal line, until my vertical out tube arrives.. Looks like this thing is going to run without any maintenance..
In your pictures, I can see a RMA banded Sprague on the width control. Those babies have not been made for 50 years and I can guarantee any surviving ones will be leaking.

I'd personally suggest you pull the chassis and check caps for leakage, as something roasted those tubes and you don't want to roast your new ones. My first suspect would be that the grid coupling capacitor to the vertical output is leaking and cause the output tube to pull too much current and that took out the damper and horiz output.

If any tube plates - rectifier, horiz output or vertical output, start to glow red, kill the power immediately and find out why.

Jas.

Last edited by earlyfilm; 04-25-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
DavGoodlin's Avatar
DavGoodlin DavGoodlin is offline
Motorola Minion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: near Strasburg PA
Posts: 3,504
Ge 1954

I just had a GE 21C243 "delivered"
The CRT is a Sylvania 21ZP4 that tests pretty weak.
TVcollector, your chassis looks similar to mine.
Once I get it safe to power up, I will post in a new thread.
GE-1.jpgGE-2.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I just had a GE 21C243 "delivered"
The CRT is a Sylvania 21ZP4 that tests pretty weak.
TVcollector, your chassis looks similar to mine.
Once I get it safe to power up, I will post in a new thread.
Attachment 174190Attachment 174191
Is that the model with the coffee can HV enclosure?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
holmesuser01's Avatar
holmesuser01 holmesuser01 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Is that the model with the coffee can HV enclosure?
I grew up with a GE 21" LowBoy style set with a coffee can HV cage! When I was 3-4 years old, I would stand behind the TV and look through the holes in the back and watch them work. I also developed a liking for the smell of tube electronics making heat.

I have pictures of my set in the family album. I'll see about scanning them.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 PM
tvcollector's Avatar
tvcollector tvcollector is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I just had a GE 21C243 "delivered"
The CRT is a Sylvania 21ZP4 that tests pretty weak.
TVcollector, your chassis looks similar to mine.
Once I get it safe to power up, I will post in a new thread.
Attachment 174190Attachment 174191

I'm anxious to see yours.. Looks like a console version..
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.