Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 AM
vts1134's Avatar
vts1134 vts1134 is offline
Looking For Time
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,534
Didn't realize the smudges on the left front of the cabinet above the volume knob and next to the speaker cutout. I guess my hand was dusty when I moved the set, they just wiped right off.
Thanks for the kind words about the set every one.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 AM
old_coot88 old_coot88 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,653
Very exemplary work, sir. Nikto verada, Klaatu.

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Reece's Avatar
Reece Reece is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cleona, PA
Posts: 2,178
Great work and a really nice-looking final result. Congratulations.
__________________
Reece

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
kvflyer kvflyer is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 1,130
As mentioned above, very nice work. I am a somewhat impatient person. But I always take my time and remove all of the old component lead when replacing it. I realize that I may damage the lug. I have done that and had to replace tube socket lugs and even the socket. It is just the way I want to do it. To each, his own I guess.

Again, Bravo!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-10-2012, 03:47 PM
vts1134's Avatar
vts1134 vts1134 is offline
Looking For Time
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,534
The Tele-Tone has a new home. I recently got a big promotion at work and I'm now my new old boss. After clearing out the old from my desk I replaced it with a beautiful antique television.



After watching it a while on my desk I fear that my 7JP4 might be weak. I don't have a tester to give a reading, but it's not as bright as I think it can be.



I've shot a youtube video of the set also. The picture is better than the video would make it seem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buNpkdLQT40

I'm really enjoying having a set with me at work and would like to bring in another if I can just find room for it.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
cbenham's Avatar
cbenham cbenham is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
When I replace parts in a set I remove the old part completely and install the new part through and then around the original mounting hole.
I fully agree with your practice of completely removing the old part and properly installing the new one. This is the best and most approved way.

However, in several instances I have had bad luck attempting this because the tube socket pin breaks off while removing the old part wires.

This leads to finding a replacement socket at a hamfest and replacing the bad one. What a $#$&%$&# PAIN!

If I suspect the set has lots of previous poor repair work, and the sockets look well worn, I clean and scrape the two existing part wires after clipping the part out and wrap the wires of the replacement part carefully around them and solder them really well. The cleaning and scraping is important for a proper connection. Then I reflow the solder on the pin as well.

I've never had a repair go 'bad' using this method and I've not broken any more socket pins either.

Remember, desperate people do desperate things!

Cliff
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.