Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
I think RCA was sold to GE in late 1985,
I was there, worked at the old RCA Sarnoff Lab.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by stromberg6 View Post
I think RCA was sold to GE in late 1985, and then GE sold the consumer electronics parts to Thompson. Don't know when the last receivers were actually manufactured in the USA.
Thanks for the info on the Dimensia chassis numbers. Now I just have to find one lol.
Kevin
The Thomson labels might not show up until '88? Or maybe late '87. They had sets assembled in the USA well into the 90s.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
RobtWB's Avatar
RobtWB RobtWB is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harrisburg, Illinois
Posts: 424
Lyceum,

Have never seen a Dimensia set with those logos - they appear to be reversed - maybe someone knows more than I do.
Definately not the same near flat crt used in other Dimensia sets I have seen - that one has a lot of curvature.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-2011, 10:57 AM
kc8adu's Avatar
kc8adu kc8adu is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: dayton ohio
Posts: 654
you are seeing the result of the unique faceplate on the crt.its quite flat but has a dip in the middle.there is a gull wing correction adjustment to fix what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobtWB View Post
Lyceum,

Have never seen a Dimensia set with those logos - they appear to be reversed - maybe someone knows more than I do.
Definately not the same near flat crt used in other Dimensia sets I have seen - that one has a lot of curvature.
__________________
i collect and restore vintage radio's,tv's,and ham gear.
email for more info
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 AM
RCAkid's Avatar
RCAkid RCAkid is offline
Respect the tube!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 213
I have a version of that set but it is badged Colortrak 2000 as is the wedge remote.

I wonder if there was any real difference?
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 PM
mbates14 mbates14 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,016
My grandmother has the modern "CTC167" version of this one. uses it as a daily watcher, unfortunately the CRT is about dead. and i had to replace the main IC twice because it lost the green, then it lost the red.

Other than being an early 90s CTC167, it looks nearly identical.

Last edited by mbates14; 03-04-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 PM
CoogarXR's Avatar
CoogarXR CoogarXR is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 641
I am still a n00b to the vintage tv world, so pardon my ignorance... But, what is so special about this TV?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 PM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
...

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-05-2011, 02:48 AM
Gunslinger Gunslinger is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: west central florida
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Years ago, I saw a Colortrak 2000 with that same flat 27" CRT. I forget the chassis, but I think it was a year or two older than the CTC140. The control panel was under a smoked glass door on the front top of the TV. Actually, I saw two of the same model. One had a slightly weak CRT, but not too bad and I sold it. The other one was like new, but it was overheating HOTs, and I could never figure out what was causing it. It wasn't a drive problem, and I eliminated just about everything except the yoke and flyback.
You may have had the CTC131. If you thought the yoke or horizontal output transformer was bad, all you'd have to do is run it on the test fixture.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Hawkwind's Avatar
Hawkwind Hawkwind is offline
TV DXer...
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 425
Looks alot like the set on the left from this magazine ad...

Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 AM
RobtWB's Avatar
RobtWB RobtWB is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harrisburg, Illinois
Posts: 424
Sure does. Looking at old ads/literature form RCA I think they used that cabinet style for a few years. Certainly a very '80's looking cabinet.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
RobtWB's Avatar
RobtWB RobtWB is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Harrisburg, Illinois
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
I am still a n00b to the vintage tv world, so pardon my ignorance... But, what is so special about this TV?
google/bing/search RCA Dimensia
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Wizard256 Wizard256 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Wow! A square, flattest CRT?? RCA also had less flatter but square CRT as well and I have not seen those early RCA Dimensia because we were authorized to repair these RCA TVs. The closest CRT form factor is proscan CRTs.

I only worked for shop for just 9 years and still do but no more CRT era except for occasional CRT TVs.

Cheers, Wizard
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 PM
zenith2134's Avatar
zenith2134 zenith2134 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UTC -4
Posts: 2,546
Wow, I really like it!

IMO, all the high-end 80s RCA's are impressive in some way.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Carmine's Avatar
Carmine Carmine is offline
...enjoys spaghetti.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Just don't tell people that "I've got Dimensia"...

"Dimensia" was a marketing name screw up. An old friend of mine, an advertising company owner, mentioned to me that everyone at the news conference when RCA first presented the Dimensia line to the world, whispered "Isn't that a kind of mental illness"?.
You aren't the only one who noticed that! I had an RCA Dimensia set (great picture) and ironically, I purchased it at an estate sale in Sun City, AZ (retirement community). Only the short-lived Insignia Alzheimers Y2K was a bigger marketing screw-up.
__________________
From Captain Video, 1/4/2007
"It seems that Italian people are very prone to preserve antique stuff."
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.