Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
freakaftr8's Avatar
freakaftr8 freakaftr8 is offline
Convergence freak!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Folsom, CA (no not in the prison)
Posts: 1,778
Looks like a great CRT on that set! When I got mine a few weeks back (broken) and got 'er up and running, I noticed my CRT seemed a little tired. Fussed with service menus and it looks really good now. Your's looks like it has low hours on it ! Those blothes of colors are caused by the speakers in the tv. The other guys are dead on. Find some small magnets and pop the 1000 screws outta the back and play around in the top corners. Also, you could have a magnet that came unglued and fell off as well. There is a big subwoofer 8" cone mounrted above the CRT. This sub probably plays hell on the CRT as well.
__________________
Honey, turn on the tv.. I'm cold!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2010, 03:48 PM
leadlike's Avatar
leadlike leadlike is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, Pa
Posts: 956
if these speakers play that much hell on an unobtainium crt, wouldn't it be better to remove the speakers and use the audio outs routed to a home theater? Didn't Sony shield them?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM
freakaftr8's Avatar
freakaftr8 freakaftr8 is offline
Convergence freak!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Folsom, CA (no not in the prison)
Posts: 1,778
Absolutely! I would remove the speakers and see if the purity blotches dissapear. If so, remove speakers and audio ouput to an amp.
I mean the sound is good, but not great. Alot of distortion at mid level volume and bass watching action adventure movies.
And, I dont think these speakers are shielded good enough.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leadlike View Post
if these speakers play that much hell on an unobtainium crt, wouldn't it be better to remove the speakers and use the audio outs routed to a home theater? Didn't Sony shield them?
__________________
Honey, turn on the tv.. I'm cold!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 PM
YamahaFreak's Avatar
YamahaFreak YamahaFreak is offline
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TOO sunny Florida, USA
Posts: 580
Thanks for the replies. I too was surprised at how nice and bright the CRT is; according to the previous owner, the set was used a lot. There is a lot of dust built up inside, and I need to clean it out. As for the speakers and distortion on the screen, I would think it wasn't the speakers, as the slight distortion is not located near the speakers, rather, it's at the very corners of the screen, on the sides. Also, is there really an eight-inch driver back there somewhere?? I can see what looks like a 4" driver firing upward in the back, but not much else. I do like the TV sound a lot; it does great at moderate levels, but if you turn it up, the cabinet rattles.

If I am to add magnets to the CRT, how big, and where at? Also, where can I get them, or can I use any ordinary magnet?
__________________
Sony Trinitron Fan
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #6  
Old 07-15-2010, 10:24 PM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
YamahaFreak's Avatar
YamahaFreak YamahaFreak is offline
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TOO sunny Florida, USA
Posts: 580
I removed the back cover and cleaned the set out two days ago. Fortunately, almost all of the dust came off very easily with some canned air. I also examined the speakers, as I was curious of their build quality. The front speakers have large rectangular magnets, and the tweeters are real tweeters with magnets, not piezos. What really surprised me is that the 4" subwoofer in the back is a dual voice coil driver! The cabinet for the woofer is pretty neat, similarly designed to the special form-fitted speaker cabinets used in automobile doors. All drivers (save the tweeters, of course) have rubber surrounds, as well.

There is a piece of tape affixed to the top right corner of the CRT bell where it looks like a magnet may have been attached, but it's not there now and I couldn't find it anywhere in the cabinet. Just for $hits and grins () I removed all the speaker drivers and placed them near the screen while displaying a blue background, to see if there would be any distortion. None at all. So I'm guessing the speakers are not to blame for the color problems.

One other thing I found: I noticed a small dirt spot on the screen while playing a game on the TV last night. Upon rubbing at it with my finger to get rid of it, I discovered that it wasn't dirt, but rather a very tiny air bubble embedded inside the glass face of the CRT. It seems that it was either missed during quality control, or Sony thought it too minor of a problem to justify destroying the CRT. (whew!) In any case, unless you're viewing a solid screen color, you have to be right on top of the bubble to see it; it's less than a millimeter wide. It's not bothering me.
__________________
Sony Trinitron Fan
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 4,004
---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
YamahaFreak's Avatar
YamahaFreak YamahaFreak is offline
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TOO sunny Florida, USA
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Many Sony CRTs actually have a sheet of plastic glued to the front for anti glare and tint. The bubble could be under that plastic. You have to be VERY careful with these CRTs since the surface is not glass it's easy to scratch.
I don't think it's that, as there doesn't appear to be a coating on the screen, and I don't think this model used that coating. (I know what you're referring to) The bubble is also a good 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch under the surface.
__________________
Sony Trinitron Fan
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.