Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-29-2010, 12:42 AM
radiotvnut's Avatar
radiotvnut radiotvnut is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Meridian, MS
Posts: 6,025
I think some late CTC39's used a 25V tube.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 AM
AUdubon5425's Avatar
AUdubon5425 AUdubon5425 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Picayune, Miss.
Posts: 1,769
Well, browsing ads and catalogs I noticed that RCA didn't use the same cabinets across different chassis. I did some hunting and found an ad from 1972 (I think) displaying that exact cabinet and control layout (no power bar, one button above the two pots in the door) - crossed the model number in the ad (GR670) through the Sams index and came up with the CTC39 chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2010, 01:15 AM
freakaftr8's Avatar
freakaftr8 freakaftr8 is offline
Convergence freak!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Folsom, CA (no not in the prison)
Posts: 1,778
Wow I learn something new every day I guess. So I did have the early CTC-39.
__________________
Honey, turn on the tv.. I'm cold!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
joemama99 joemama99 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sebring,Fl
Posts: 130
Mark--did you say a muntz?You've gotta post a picture of that!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 PM
zenithfan1's Avatar
zenithfan1 zenithfan1 is offline
Mark
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,211
Yep, a Muntz color set from 1965....be patient, I'll start a thread about it I have a LOT of cabinet repair to do on it so it'll be interesting.
__________________
My TV page and YouTube channel
Kyocera R-661, Yamaha RX-V2200
National Panasonic SA-5800
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Chad Hauris's Avatar
Chad Hauris Chad Hauris is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: West Texas
Posts: 2,085
The 25V" set in the cabinet/control panel design shown here is used for the CTC-39 illustration in the RCA field service guide. The CTC-39 I have is in a metal table top cabinet with a 23V" tube and looks like a late model CTC-38.

Are you sure the set shown in this ad isn't a solid state model? I have a set which looks exactly like this at home which is an XL-100 solid state (CTC-46 or 48?) which I think is from 1973.
The tube type CTC-39 set will say "AccuColor" above the volume/brightness controls but it looks like the text on this one is longer than "AccuColor" and may be "XL-100 Solid State"

Here is a video of my solid state set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUcNaYLA_c
__________________
Chad Hauris
http://www.youtube.com/user/retrochad
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
wa2ise's Avatar
wa2ise wa2ise is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
I was always under the impression that the CTC-39 was a s good as an RCA tube chassis could get. Most of the flaws and quircks were eliminated and the AGC was top notch. I miss my old CTC-39.
My grandmother bought a CTC39X new around 1975, possibly a clearance sale item (store making room for SS models). She also got the service contract, found the paperwork (they replaced a pilot light). She watched soap operas and regular prime time OTA on it a lot. My father (grandma was his mother in law, and they had the standard issue relationship ) and I replaced tubes, the horizontal output and damper IIRC. We ended up with it in the mid 80s. The VHF tuner didn't work, but UHF did work. Probably a dead VHF local oscillator tube. MY brother tossed it...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-01-2010, 02:35 AM
AUdubon5425's Avatar
AUdubon5425 AUdubon5425 is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Picayune, Miss.
Posts: 1,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
...Are you sure the set shown in this ad isn't a solid state model? I have a set which looks exactly like this at home which is an XL-100 solid state (CTC-46 or 48?) which I think is from 1973.
The tube type CTC-39 set will say "AccuColor" above the volume/brightness controls but it looks like the text on this one is longer than "AccuColor" and may be "XL-100 Solid State"...
I haven't seen it in person - I can only refer to my earlier post as to how I arrived at my conclusion.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Findm-Keepm's Avatar
Findm-Keepm Findm-Keepm is offline
Followin' the Rules...
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
.
Just make sure the flyback is good. Moyers hasn't had them for years due to the fact that 38/39's loved to eat up the flys. Also have some 6GH8's on hand... LOL!
Actually, Moyers just had a 119834 up on eBay - and some lucky individual outbid me. My '39 fly is still good, with 190-200mA current, and fused, but I' was hoping for a spare. Fly 308's and Fly 312's show up on eBay occasionally, and some were offered in ETF classifieds last year, so I've not given up entirely.

Cheers,
__________________
Brian
USN RET 22YRS (Avionics/Cal)
CET-Consumer Repair and Avionics ('88)
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.