Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

Notices

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
pioneervato's Avatar
pioneervato pioneervato is offline
ˇNo es mi problema!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Where It's a Dry Heat
Posts: 32
Took the family to see it and did not care for it much. Frankly, I think the HP series of movies have been rather average.

What is up with the Harry Potter character anyway? He is supposed to be the chosen one and yet he disappoints when it comes to exhibiting great magical powers. I know he is still learning, but c'mon, give us something more than just a few lame magical tricks. It seems that Malfoy is always kicking his ass.

Transformers was more fun to watch than HP.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 PM
fotno's Avatar
fotno fotno is offline
Canis Major
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Buzzardtown, NC
Posts: 118
All I can say in response is - The stories do use magic to gain the attention of the reading (and viewing) audience, but they're not stories about magic, but about friendship, loyalty, courage and responsibility.

I Harry were able to simply overpower all the demons in his life, where would the value of his story lie? He's the underdog, the figure who must overcome the odds, and defeat those who are more powerful. Not by matching them blow for blow (and therefore evil for evil); but by being true to the memory of his parents, his friends and himself.

Just my opinion of course, but I find great worth in these stories, and have greatly enjoyed reading the books and watching the films.

Transformers? I watched the first one - Looked like an hour and a half Leatherman Tool demonstration to me.
__________________
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM
vinyldavid's Avatar
vinyldavid vinyldavid is offline
EFSP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Creve Coeur, Missouri, USA
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotno View Post
All I can say in response is - The stories do use magic to gain the attention of the reading (and viewing) audience, but they're not stories about magic, but about friendship, loyalty, courage and responsibility.

I Harry were able to simply overpower all the demons in his life, where would the value of his story lie? He's the underdog, the figure who must overcome the odds, and defeat those who are more powerful. Not by matching them blow for blow (and therefore evil for evil); but by being true to the memory of his parents, his friends and himself.

Just my opinion of course, but I find great worth in these stories, and have greatly enjoyed reading the books and watching the films.

Transformers? I watched the first one - Looked like an hour and a half Leatherman Tool demonstration to me.
+1!

Also: @ Leatherman
__________________
Denon, Mackie, Lenco, JBL, Onkyo, Crown, Tascam, Teac, Otari, Ampex, Pro-Ject, Kenwood, Technics, Sound Engineering Labs, Apple, PreSonus, Panasonic, Shure, Realistic and JVC spoken here
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 PM
steerpike2's Avatar
steerpike2 steerpike2 is offline
VK Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Transvaal, South Africa
Posts: 53
HP, Star Wars and LOTR all share an identical theme; same story, different setting. I'm not saying that's bad - I love all three.
__________________
New toys (updated July 11th):
http://web.eject.co.za/s8nspawn/hifi/ak/index.htm

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
75Center's Avatar
75Center 75Center is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KCMO
Posts: 16
I have read all the books and have watched all the movies, including the latest. The books are magnificant - there is no way the movies could include everything. Different directors have brought different "flavors" to the movies.

I think the first book and movie were my favorites, made me want to be ten years old again and have my own magic wand.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 07-28-2009, 09:34 AM
botrytis's Avatar
botrytis botrytis is offline
Space holder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Burlington, MA
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotno View Post
All I can say in response is - The stories do use magic to gain the attention of the reading (and viewing) audience, but they're not stories about magic, but about friendship, loyalty, courage and responsibility.

I Harry were able to simply overpower all the demons in his life, where would the value of his story lie? He's the underdog, the figure who must overcome the odds, and defeat those who are more powerful. Not by matching them blow for blow (and therefore evil for evil); but by being true to the memory of his parents, his friends and himself.

Just my opinion of course, but I find great worth in these stories, and have greatly enjoyed reading the books and watching the films.

Transformers? I watched the first one - Looked like an hour and a half Leatherman Tool demonstration to me.
Here - here!! Remember after HP and the Order of the Phoenix when Harry said at the end he felt sorry for Voldemort because he really had nothing to fight for - like friendship and that is worth fighting for.

It is snippets like above that make these books/movies transcend it all (just like Star Wars, King Arthur, etc.).
__________________
"Resentment is like taking poison yourself and waiting for the other guy to die."

-Carrie Fisher
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM
napsomendo napsomendo is offline
Lo Fi Foo, Hi Fi Fum
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Its' about being a kid.

Saw prince the first weekend, dissapointment meter was pegged.
Pondered for a week and went back again and the lights came on. The film is about what each character was doing and what was important to them when they were a kid at Hogwarts.

The opening, Harry meets a pretty girl and considers letting her ride his "broomstick'. Hooray for hormones.

Voldemort sends Death Eaters to kidnap the person that he thinks can explain his "wand" problem.

Dumbledore has injured his hand trying to right the wrong he commited as a young man.

Lilly Potter was conjuring random acts of magical beauty.

Snape gave himself the name "Half Blood Prince" to score some dark magic "cool".

Hagrid was playing with creepy spiders.

Mr. Weasley sits in his man-cave surrounded by muggle treasures/junk, his wonder for the other world still fresh. Would've been a good spot for an old radio set.

It goes on and on. J.K. Rowling herself has said the story is about the kids and by extension all the characters when they were kids.

I have read all the books and I have to give "Prince" the film high marks.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM
soundmotor's Avatar
soundmotor soundmotor is offline
super modified
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Just off the shoulder of Orion
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotno View Post

Transformers? I watched the first one - Looked like an hour and a half Leatherman Tool demonstration to me.
I had the same thought -

__________________
I took a hammer to a Regency TR-4, I was 6 at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 AM
vegabass25's Avatar
vegabass25 vegabass25 is offline
Awesome AK member.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 26
is what I though of it.
__________________
DENON- AVR-688, DVD-555
CERWIN-VEGA!- 280SE, D-3, U-103, VE-5C, E-706
XBOX 360- As main source
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Bigerik's Avatar
Bigerik Bigerik is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: I've Been Everywhere
Posts: 60
i loved the book and I loved the movie. Actually thought it was one of the better ones in the series. Number one and two are likely the most true to the books, but there is much less material there also. MUCH smaller books to deal with.
For the most part, I agreed with, or at least understood why the changes were made from the book to the movie.

Two thumbs up from me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
©Copyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.